Offside Signaling Question...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Cactus837, Apr 22, 2017.

1. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    It's not that complicated. The law changes regarding outside over there past couple decades have not been for the benefit of defenders.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Which really has nothing to do with the discussion and diagram 4.

3. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I thought the conversation had shifted from, "should you do diagram 4? (signal for OS before the attacker touches the ball) to the question of "where is the position of the restart when we signal before the ball is touched?" As Cinepro points out in post #36, there is a conundrum in where to position the restart when the AR signals 'early". As you point out, if the spot is where the AR decides it is, that is something of a problem consistency-wise. But really this is just a special case of 'where is the OS restart?'

I was trying to point out that there is some question of where the OS restart is almost every time we raise the flag. Is it 1) The location of the 2LD--which is also the initial location of the AR; 2) The initial location of the PIOP; 3) The location where the PIOP is when he interferes or challenges; 4) where the PIOP is when the AR decides to raise the flag; 5) whichever of these spots favors the defense the most; 6) which ever favors the attacking team the most.

The note in the new LotG that we can restart on the 'other' side of the field implies the converse. If the play is going the other way, then the restart is #3, where the attacker is when he touches/challenges. Can this be what IFAB intended? Does a player in an offside position get to determine where the restart is by deciding when the actually play the ball?

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Last year it was #2, now it's #3. Trying to decide who it favors or by how much will only muddy the waters.

5. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #55 Thezzaruz, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    I really don't see why you'd think that. As @threeputzzz correctly said, it used to be #2 but now it is #3. Which leads to...

Yes. I'm guessing that the more prevalent the wait-and-see principle has become the more the initial position of the PIOP has become irrelevant (and confusing, not the least to fans) and thus it is easier to just go with the position where he becomes active.
    And while that in many situations might disadvantage the defending team somewhat compared to before it doesn't really pose a problem as the position is easily recognized. But for calls based on diagram 4 it does become an issue as the call is made before the PIOP gets to the ball.