Ongoing Yura Watch 2017-18

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by georg, Oct 30, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me miss Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

As far as Yura goes. We'd be stupid to keep him, and he'd be stupid to stay. So this means we can look forward to having him on the team next year and wasting his time, and DLH's money.

If we buy out his contract, he doesn't have a say in that correct? I think quickly exploring some kind of sell or trade option is good, since it's possible we might be able to offload him. If not, then buy out the contract and move on. Keeping him on the team means losing a DP slot, and less money to invest in making the team better.

Ismitje, SenordrummeR2 and RSL Wonderbra repped this.
  2. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A contract buyout is a negotiation between the player and the club. Based on a mutual agreement to end the contract, the team agrees to relieve the player from the team. In exchange the player traditionally offers a discount on the money guaranteed to him. So, yes, yura would have a say in that conversation. If he said, give me all 3.8 million you owe me and then I will sign the buyout, then waibel would say, if we are going to pay you in full then we are going to keep you on the club.

It's a negotiation. In most leagues, typically players take around 60% - 80% of the guaranteed $ depending on how motivated they are to leave and whether they can get paid elsewhere. Yura would get paid elsewhere and is motivated to leave. It should be straight forward.

However, I still think a team like Colorado, Orlando, or dc United would like to have a player who put 7 goals in the back of the net over the course of half of the season. Regardless of how he scored. They couldn't get goals no matter how hard they tried. Yura would thrivve next to Dom Dwyer imho. He played his best soccer next to Robbie if y'all recall.

The Franchise, Ivensor and Allez RSL repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how you can write your first two paragraphs but then believe in your third. Yura came back to MLS to be with RSL/close to family. He's not going to be moving to a new team that doesn't touch those circles. Waibel is really handcuffed (a lot of it at his own doing) in how he can handle this.

The more it plays out, the more I'm convinced we'll have Yura's sorry ass on the roster next year.

RSLer repped this.
  4. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    His "ass" shouldn't be sorry. It is the only part of him that did it's job last season... :)

RSLer, DrownedElf, Ismitje and 4 others repped this.
  5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A contract buyout for full value doesn't require player approval, but buyouts for less do.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've gotta think that once this conversation is broached by the front office folks with Yura's reps its a no-turning back decision. I mean, how do you approach a guy saying "we want to pay you to leave" and then, if it doesn't man out, be like "oh yeah, we're so happy to have you here"

7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me it’s been broached, everyone knows what is before them. End result is likely Yura going to a new club with RSL paying a significant part of his salary. I would however not be surprised to see Yura at RSL for another year and I know I am alone in this belief but I think he would if played? have a decent year.

8. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The first two paragraphs are considering a buyout. The third paragraph is suggesting there are still trade options before only going the route of a buyout. I am not sure how those thoughts contradict each other. If I am Waibel, I explore every trade option first. Then I buyout in a worst case scenario. If there is no discount on the buyout, then Yura can rot on the bench for all I care. So, yeah, both options are still on the table.

Players that don't fit on one club can obviously still hold trade value for another club. One man's trash... I mean he still is our player at this point.

Finally, he wanted to be closer to home. But that's California, not SLC. Orlando is still in the MLS and in the same country. I understood he just wanted to stay in the MLS, not just in the Western Conference... but what do we all know?

9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #rslfamily

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't clarify my point. I'm saying that I seriously doubt there are MLS teams out there willing to take on his salary. It's just not going to happen. Best case scenario is we trade him while covering a (significant) portion of his salary that we can (hopefully) pay down below DP levels. It would be so Craig Waibel to pull off the trade but not be able to use the DP slot on someone else because we simply can't pay down Yura's hit enough. I think that's what really gets me the most in this. The significance/amount of the sunk cost is just ridiculous.

And it's 2500 miles from LA to ORL. LA to SLC is under 700. "same country" in this country is reallllllyyyyy misleading.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the smart thing is to do a quick call around the league to see if anyone is interested. If nobody is biting, the sooner we buy him out the better. I want us to be fully focused on finding a starting forward. I don't want us to wait until 2 weeks before the season, finally buy him out, then either not get a new forward, or purchase some scraps that nobody wanted.

The Franchise repped this.
  12. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Did we make those quick calls yet? I had half expected to hear something by now. Then again, the waibel years are full of waiting on obvious decisions and overevaluating until it's too late. See resigning Cassar 2016 during an 8 game skid...

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but but but they had signed the deal prior to the skid and were just waiting for a win to announce it after
    Seriously, that was one of the weirdest and shittiest excuses during that debacle

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Will they make any announcement before the end of the season? I wasn't expecting anything until after MLS Cup.

Todorojo repped this.
  15. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Are playoffs still going on? I know I said it last year too, but MLS has got to figure out how not to have a two week break in the middle of the playoffs.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    next year, with the potential for a break in the summer, will be even more difficult. Honestly, I don't see why we can't have maybe one or two more weekday games in order to have the playoffs in a reasonable timeframe. The playoffs are a complete joke this year. The amount of time they cover is one thing, the days they've scheduled them on is another. It's just bad. No reason they should take this long and be this arbitrary.

17. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. Unless RSL is in the playoffs, I basically forget about MLS by the end of October, early November. And I'm an MLS fan. Clearly, there is something wrong with this picture.

El-ahrairah, jessyca and TheBiff repped this.
  18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga Mx playoffs just started. Apertura season ended on Nov 19. First round with leg 1 started Nov 22/23 with return leg 25/26. Takes one week to to determine a round where at best 2 weeks in MLS.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will use the excuse of the level of play dropping in such a short window. I disagree. It's the playoffs, if you can't get your team up for a game on short rest you're not getting them up at all

20. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Nice signature, man. I've been insulted and misrepresented worse in BS signatures before, though. You'll have to step up your game to challenge BalanceUT.

21. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey I removed it, then I saw your disgusting comment in the NSR thread... Wow, you are sick in the head. *thinks of new sig line*

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???? My sig has been this for years and years.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the result of me FYP'ing a post of yours too, I believe

I was hoping to slowly take over all of your sig lines

BalanceUT repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All your sig line are belong to us?

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Huh...could have sworn that I wrote the post that prompted his sig.

Maybe I have a deep seeded persecution complex. Or am just an asshole?

15 to 32 repped this.