Ongoing Yura Watch 2017-18

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by georg, Oct 30, 2017.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Dolf Lundgren was on the Jazz? He acclimated to the league when "The ball goes through the franchise player" norm was at its apex. When Stockton and Malone were gone he became the team's highest paid player and assumed the ball would go through him and, in my opinion, he lost some of his edge and didn't work as hard. I think that's what's going on with Yura. There's an entitlement attitude about him. He's angry because he feels he shouldn't have to work for time on the pitch and to be the focus of the attack.

2. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I had to google Dolf Lundgren as I had no idea who he was or how I missed his time as the star of the Jazz. After searching, reference understood 100% and accepted. Nice work.

RSLer and Kratisto repped this.
  3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    End of season. He says he doesn't know why he wasn't playing, and that he won't sit on the bench next year. He refused to say that he was done at RSL, though.

Nothing groundbreaking.

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    1. So do we think Hansen would pay $2M to not have a player on this team? Even a couple of years ago that would have been a ridiculous thought, but maybe the money is flowing much more freely now. Of course the two sides could also agree to a lesser amount for a release.

2. Hence why he struggled this year. That's his game...always has been, but he seemed slow/lazy most of the season. When he first came back he was (somewhat reasonably) out of shape after having an extended injury and not playing much in Russia, but there was no similar excuse this season.

RSLer repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we think Hansen would pay $2M to not have a player on this team? NO.

Of course the two sides could also agree to a lesser amount for a release. I THINK THIS HAS TO BE THE TEAM'S GOAL. PERSONALLY, I DON'T THINK THIS WILL PAN OUT. YURA IS SITTING ON $2MM OF GUARANTEED MONEY. THAT'S A LARGE SUM OF MONEY. IF HE IS RELEASED AND PAID $1MM, THERE'S NO GUARANTEE THAT ANYONE WILL PICK HIM UP. SO, WHY WOULD HE JUST LET $1MM GO AWAY? THERE TRULY IS NO FINANCIAL INCENTIVE FOR HIM TO DO IT.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way that he might make such a change is for some kind of deferred compensation so that he's guaranteed money for 5 to 10 years down the line. OR, he may be willing to make such a move if he genuinely thinks he can get a $1 million or more from another club (LAFC, LAG?).

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he sees this as a career-ending season if he stays and rides the bench. He may gamble for leaving with the chance of finding a place where he can shine and extend his career.

RSLer, Ivensor and BalanceUT repped this.
  9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Internet Explorer?

DrownedElf, RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That offer from another club would have to be on the table before Yura signs off on it. This whole thing may also come down to if RSL has another striker in its sights. If we do not we very well may be seeing Petke and Yura sitting down for a long heart to heart about next season.

RSLer repped this.
  11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what you call it. But, it's the browser that has been a part of WinBlows 95 up to and including WinBlows 10, but not to be confused with Orifice 10.

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only little old ladies use Internet Explorer, because they are scared to download Firefox, Chrome, or even Safari.

UPinSLC and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. I mean, IE?!

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I have to use Internet Exploder for my work because some work website applications are written specifically for Exploder. Up to a few weeks ago, I did use Firefox for everything else, but it started going off into never-neverland much more regularly (once an hour as opposed to once a week), so I went back to Exploder (which I abandoned for Firefox over a year ago). Chrome? Meh. It's on my cellphone/tablet. I don't see anything special.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @RSLer I can only read that post above as a Western Union Telegram, "stops" and all.

15 to 32, RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 3 others repped this.
  16. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    In defense of a trade option...

Colorado had 31 goals all season. DC United had 31 goals all season. Orlando is likely losing two players who collectively had almost half of their goals. Where are goals going to come from for some of these teams? Yura averaged 9 goals per year the last two years and he will likely be very motivated in 2018.

I understand that he didn't mix with our new coach and IMHO he just isn't the right guy for our club right now. But for other teams, getting a player who got 7 goals in just over half of last year would be a BIG boost to what they are doing. Proven in MLS. Experienced around the globe. Just saying, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quite good. A team that can accommodate a false 9 and needs more punch could use Movsysian. They may not assume his full salary, but he's still worth DP money to the right buyer.

18. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As bad as he looked... he still had 7? goals last season in very limited time. Had he played all year he was on target for probably double that... it just would have come at a cost of better production team wide for us. He likely has value in a different system, and I always have felt that way.

He is an emotional guy. When he saw the bench, he pouted instead of fighting which led to him seeing more and more of the bench. Had he fought to get his spot back... who knows how we would have looked or fit in by the end.

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with that is Yura doesn’t thrive in a false 9 role. He needs to be in a two forward system. That’s where he’s performed best.

15 to 32 repped this.
  20. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed but, the problem with Yura is that he is unwilling to adjust his game. Look at Luis Silva, which of those two going into this season would you have said would be better at playing that position? In no way is it either's preferred or natural position. Yura tries to make everyone else on the team change so he can play is natural position. Silva adapted his game to fit the teams needs. The fact that Yura says he doesn't know why he got benched shows how out of touch he is. Unless he drastically changes his mentality he is not going to play for this coach.

DrownedElf, SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Silva also approached the whole season so much better than Yura. Silva had great results in DC, was traded to RSL and played frequently before heading to Mexico. He easily could have come in expecting to be in the starting 11, but instead he along with Barrett where talking about how they were happy in supporting roles. Silva then just went to work and he took advantage of the opportunities that he was given. Yura? Expected to be a starter. Felt that because he scored some goals early in the year bought him the role reguardless of how things changed around him. He didn't step up and continue to earn it. I don't know that his skill set could have played the way that RSL needed... but I do know that mentally, he was never going to.

Of coarse things can change, but he doesn't seem like the change and adapting type.

Allez RSL repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was poor style but I was in a hurry and too far into it when I realized I left the caps on.

23. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    In my head I imagined Bobcat Goldthwait yelling everything that was in caps. It made me miss Police Academy movies.

RSLer, DrownedElf, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Yura hasn't panned out and needs to go. The narrative that he was one of the leading scorers is also flawed because several of his goals were PK's and tap-ins. I don't recall a goal this year where he legitimately created the opportunity (but I may be forgetting one). My post was more to point out that teams saw how he performed in a false 9 role this year, and I don't think anyone is clamoring to get him for that role on their team.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first goal of the season (and for RSL) was actually a really well timed header. Since that goal, though, Yura hasn't done much of anything to really create.

It's funny to read about how, if we get stuck with him, people are trying to make it a "good thing". The wording I've seen is "well he'd be one of the best backup forwards in the league". This is wrong. He wouldn't have been backup forward on this team if Barrett was healthy. He needs to go. I pray CW can figure out how to get one of the LA teams to take him on. He's not going to any other MLS side

Todorojo and SenordrummeR2 repped this.