Ongoing Yura Watch 2017-18

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by georg, Oct 30, 2017.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 georg, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    So what do you all think will happen with Yura? He has a pretty big contract which might make him pretty hard to move. If RSL cannot move Yura what role will he see next season?

{Mod note - I pulled this out of the news thread to give it some prominence.}

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those water bottles aren't going to distribute themselves

BalanceUT, Todorojo, PumaJohnny and 9 others repped this.
  3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously if he stays how does he get integrated into this teams offence. Hard to imaging a 1.9 million dollar player passing out water bottles.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, that's essentially what he did from August on, no?
    All joking aside, he has to be moved. There can't be a possibility of him wearing an RSL shirt next year. If he is, then Waibel should be ********ing canned. It's one thing to miss on the player initially and then have a hard time moving him within the year. To not recognize that, at all costs, he needs to be moved out would be catastrophic.

Bold claim: If Yura is in an RSL shirt next season we won't make the playoffs.

SpiffCoug and The Franchise repped this.
  5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be incredibly hard to unless he had some kind of massive turnaround. Having a 2 mil player sitting on the bench keeps us from upgrading the position, and I'd have to imagine he'd become some kind of locker room cancer if he was sitting out all next season.

I still think he needs to move at all costs.

6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL does not move Yura, Petke is going to have to integrate him into his team. If he can I still think Yura can become a asset.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After this season, the goose is cooked. As soon as Yura needed to be sat for a couple of games, then the attitude would be back. He also had more than half the season to get on board this year; why should he be given more?

8. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying he should, but unloading his contract is going to be costly. If RSL gets no takers, can Petke make Yura a viable part of next seasons campaign?

9. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While unloading his contract will be costly, at this point having a roster spot filled by him is more costly. I can't imagine him doing anything productive for this team. You can't have a roster spot filled with someone who has no chance at doing anything positive. Priority number 1 this off season is getting him off the team, but any means necessary.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I get where you are going with this but it just has all the signs of being something that simply won't work. Bridges weren't burned, per se, but they might as well have been.

If we do keep his contract next year, I fully expect a Mix Diskerud scenario where he isn't even with the team all that much.

11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    There isn't currently any evidence that Petke can get Movsysian to buy in to his team. And there's a pile of evidence that he can't. I'd guess not, if it comes to that.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 elaborate on the "bridges weren't burned per say, but they might as well have been comment.
    I know Yura sat for the most part of the-second half of the season, but I am not aware of locker room issues. This does not mean their were not issues, I just did not follow the issue that closely.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amount of ********s Yura gave was equal to the amount of starts I have for RSL. None.
    It was also telling when Yura was involved, briefly, how little the rest of his teammates seemed to care that he was out there.

I think everyone kind of understood the situation was not something that could be fixed within the year. To carry it into next year, though, would be a mistake. It would be ripe for creating a locker room division.

DrownedElf, andyslc and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how anybody can suggest that he be a viable part of the team next year. At some point you just have to let go of what ifs and accept reality.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had half a season to look like he even cared, and he never once did. It was pretty telling when they'd give him minutes, and he'd plod around the field slower than players that had been out there for 70+ minutes. I'd buy into being able to integrate him next year if he had made some kind of progress in those months. He didn't. He looked completely checked out.

Is it possible things could be different next year? Sure. But would you really want to take that kind of risk? This isn't some 100k per year player that you're gambling on. This is a guy that should've been front and center leading by example. I'd much rather cut him loose and move on to another player.

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Yura not necessarily going anywhere if you read RSL Soapbox. This has to be making 15's head explode.

15 to 32 repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 El-ahrairah, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    Like in Scanners?

Click here to see that remarkable GIF

{Mod edit on the link instead of the GIF itself}

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to fire back up the Fire Craig Waibel machine because this is a ********ing joke.

The Franchise, DrownedElf and Kratisto repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be honest, if I were CW, I'd say the same thing. Everyone knows that we need to move Yura, which destroys any bargaining position we could possibly have. If CW can put any doubt at all about our need to move Yura in the minds of potential buyers, it only helps us. Of course, if I'm a buyer I simply wouldn't believe him, but you get the idea.

Of course, if we don't actually move Yura, that's a problem.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of what he said was spot on. It was GM speak. He was doing his job.

HOWEVER

The comment about "doing the right thing for the team" pushed me over the edge. How stupid does Waibel think we are?

Also, maybe I'm wrong here, but if I'm describing Yura's game it's pretty similar to a false 9. Don't excuse him being out of the lineup because of tactics. Just say certain players started to gel. This is 100% true and doesn't reek of last second excuses.

Ivensor and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  22. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost it at the point when they said they could have moved him in the summer AND DIDN'T.

23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if he's choosing to stay, does that mean their hands were tied in moving him during the summer? I couldn't remember if he had a no trade clause or not. Still seems weird to stick around when you're not getting playing time.

24. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Something smells of bulls-h-....

Before the middle of summer, any player would have gladly bailed on this team. Almost sounds like Yura was content with getting his payday, and would like to ride it out in infamy.

25. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a mechanism for "unloading" a guaranteed contract for a player without trading him. And trades are always a 2-way street. You can "buy-out" his contract but that means you take the cap hit for that.

I think moving him may not be as easy as some would like.

I wouldn't characterize Yura as a false 9 at all. A false 9 typically drops deep, often collects the ball and distributes to midfielders who create the real damage (ala Silva's role this season). That's just not Yura's game. He's not a target forward, but he's a run and chase striker.

Ivensor repped this.