Officially the most fascinating club in the country - FC Twente [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only 3 players from Barça. It's obviously rubbish.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh he´s been spotted househunting over here even. In De Lutte. Which is a genuine village btw. Home to many a Twente football star.

I´ll just have to get used to it I guess.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Anyway it´s 95% certain that Adriaanse is joining Twente, as I´ve been told by various sources. He wanted Olde Riekerink, sacked yesterday by Ajax, as an assistant coach, but Twente apparently aren´t having any of that.

Negotiations with Fer apparently also are in a very advanced stage.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was a fan of his this past year. Whether he can sustain the performance for Ajax is another matter all together. It was really good to see these guys thinking outside the box for their choices and I find it difficult to disagree with them. Kudos to Janssen (and of course Twente for allowing him the freedom to shine)!

6. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I've always thought he's a total scumbag, but now he's MY scumbag :p

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Janssen does some things brilliantly at world class level and he can be a deciding factor. But as an alround footballer I have to say mwah. He´s the midfield version of a phantom striker. You don´t see him for 85 mins then he decides the game for you. And he does not defend. One big urban myth is the quality of his corner kicks. Twente´s corner kicks were terrible all last season. And we had Janko and towering defenders up front mind. The one quality Janssen can bring to Ajax is that he´s a true personality both on and off the pitch. He can truly inspire the fans and his colleagues, but only in the big games. That´s the problem with Janssen really. He picks his games. He got away with that and his off the pitch behaviour at Twente, because Twente is that kind of club. I don´t really know what kind of coach de Boer is. One thing I do know is though that if you want to get the best out of Janssen, you have to let him be. We´ll see. I wish him all the best because I love that he´s politically incorrect, and that he´s one of few footballers left in this world who doesn´t sound like he´s had PR training. But that´s exactly why I worry for him at Ajax. I just hope Ajax won´t kill off his soul.

8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My main concern is about the lack of defending. If you have Eriksen and Janssen in midfield, you have a lot of offense, but that puts a huge strain on the other midfielder (presumably Anita) to defend. It seems like it will pull our team out of shape a bit, especially if he plays deeper lying than Eriksen.

However, Frank De Boer has earned my trust, so I am assuming that he's thought of this already and must not be too concerned.

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sounds like Janssen is a pretty shitty player reading that.

And Eriksen does a lot of defending. We'll be fine.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I never said that he was shitty! He´s obviously got great, match deciding qualities and the best left foot in the country by a mile. But he can´t do it on his own, he needs team mates around him to do the less glamourous work for him. And he comes with a user´s manual. So how he´ll do with Ajax is a question mark, that´s all I´m saying. We have cursed the man in many a game, trust me. So don´t be surprised if you´re watching him an Ajax shirt for 80 minutes , and you´re talking to your mates about how rubbish a game he´s having and when will he bloody start defending his direct opponent, and then the next minute he scores a wondergoal. That´s Theo for you.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Several sources and Twente watchers confirm that it is pretty much certain that Adriaanse has signed with us. He will be presented on Tuesday or Wednesday and will be coaching the team for the first time on Thursday when we´re playing our first friendly against an amateur side. Twente´s season already starts on Monday, first training. All internationals will be missing, they´ve got another couple of weeks rest.

12. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as you hate him, I think he's a great coach. He did all the hard work and then got run out of town, leaving Koeman (who is not 1/4 the coach that Co is) to benefit.

13. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, Eriksen can defend. But if Janssen is playing as a deep-lying midfielder and Eriksen a more offensive one, our midfield could be dragged out of shape.

If, on the other hand, it is Janssen who will play behind the forwards and Eriksen who will play more centrally, it seems we'd be taking Eriksen away from where he is most useful.

14. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am still of the opinion that it was a complete waste to sign him. We just dont really need him.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    A lot of total bollix written about Twente in the Dutch papers today. Janko to Italy, Ruiz linked to a billion clubs, etc etc.

We're all anxiously awaiting the first training session to see if Adriaanse gets confirmed as our new coach.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I rate him as a coach. It's just his personality that I loathe.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    New thread started.