Officially the most fascinating club in the country - FC Twente [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I am away for a couple of days and the Twente thread is closed? WTF?! And Paga has joined the power hungry mods. Oh dear. Well at least he's not an Ajax fan.

I had a good time in Spain despite of the battering which I of course predicted so I wasn't too disappointed. We can say bye-bye to the Europa league but never mind, no matter how crap we get fortune has it that pretty much all other Dutch clubs in the eredivisie are even crapper than us so no harm done. Bring on the battle for the Dutch title! Our team is tired and half of them are semi-injured or banned or whatever but never mind, we're Twente! We've got more fighting spirit than the rest of the league put together s.o again, bring it on!

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Re: Officially the most fascinating club in the country - FC Twente

Oh and by the way we really are officially the most fascinating club in the country. As per the Club Positioning Matrix 2010-2011, based on a survey among 4,500 random Dutch people.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Random? Fascinating? There is more fascination in the Ajax Boardroom than on the Twente team!

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Do you mean that management didn't take the Europa league serious enough, otherwise they wouldn't have gone with an experiment?

Also there were articles in the papers, that pointed out that Barca played with 3 defenders and that Preudomme took that tactic to the game. What do you think of that theory? Is it plausible?

5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Also, what is your take on Janko? Do you think Twente should be consistent and ban him for at least 5 matches for breaking that poor guys leg like a retard? Or is such display of moral superiority from Twente only applicable when you already know he's going to be suspended for a certain number of games?

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

It was only a Europa League match, Twente's moral superiority only knows the borders of The Netherlands. Misbehavior abroad doesn't count.

7. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Us Yanks are going to get Twente vs De Graafschap this weekend on ESPN3. Lets go Superboeren!!!!!

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Well if you read the pre-match interviews, with Janssen and Preudhomme, they both literally said that Villareal is two categories better than Twente, and that the top priorities were 1. league 2. cup 3. Europa league. I personally don't think Preudhomme would have experimented with the tactics in a league game. Or in the cup final.

I don't think Preudhomme is arrogant enough to believe Twente can emulate Barcelona in any way.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Funny you should say that considering Ajax's actions after the Suarez bite. Banned from league games but not from European games. Something about throwing stones and glass houses.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

That's not what the Dutch public think.

11. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    woohoo, a new thread was created.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Some news & rumours.

Apparently Real Madrid are interested in our right back Rosales, according to various sources in Spain.

Theo Janssen denies that he's off to Fenerbahce, his exact words in fact were 'no way'.

We're buying a young 18-year old Brazilian from Esporte Clube Vitória. His full name is Maycon Vinicius Ferreira da Cruz. Football name Nikão. This isn't through the ManU partnership but Twente's own scouting work. His contract is said to be nearly finalised and he's joining us in the summer.

He doesn't look half bad but I guess you can make anyone look good on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizyIEkyVnk&feature=youtu.be

13. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    That guy was linked to PSV at the age of 13. Vague story about him and PSV. Quite often spotted at the Herdgang till about 2009. Sources claimed he was a PSV player. He had an own appartment in Eindhoven and trained sometimes with PSV. But if you contact Salazar, he denies everything. Wierd, wierd....

http://psv.netwerk.to/forums/HTML/forum9/1819.php

He is a player from TRAFFIC, Man Utd connection is TRAFFIC. So you can't let me believe that TRAFFIC has nothing to do with it.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Traffic yes, probably, but he wasn't scouted through ManU and he won't be contracted as part of the ManU deal. We contracted him independently, as in we won't be forced to 'sell' him to ManU at any given time.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You forgot to mention that Twente have apparently signed Bryan Ottenhoff from the Ajax youth system. He was injured for 18 months and when he got back to full health could not make the Jong Ajax squad. I guess we will see if this turns out to be a good deal or not. At least he is Dutch unlike most of the club's other signings.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The thought that huge tactics nerd Preud'homme would get his tactical input from newspaper articles is quite amusing. It also says something about the newspaper men (and their huge egos!) if they truly give credence to that story.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh stop it already with the holier than thou attitude. I never heard you whinge about Ajax buying Sulejmani, Mido, Tainio, Oleguer, etc., or your youth academy stacking up on Belgian and Danish 16 year olds.

Twente still is a long way of Ajax revenues. Like most Dutch clubs we have financial limitations and have to be creative in our scouting. Plus we, unlike some, aren't so stupid so as to fall for buying overpriced Dutch league players.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's foreign and in the minds of a lot of Dutch people that means he will always be a tactical dimwit. Ignore the snobism BG, it comes mostly from the Randstad. We in Twente know better.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First, this was a statement of fact, not anything more! Second, I think you will find that I've been highly critical of the club's transfer policy and overpayment for players. Mido did not cost the club much if anything at all, he was paid on how many matches he played in. He didn't think much of the club after his patron Jol was sacked and decided to leave. Tainio had a similar contract as well. Stacking up on foreign 16 year olds? We have paid compensation to each of the parent clubs for the Danes. By my count we have had three Beligians come through the system and that was a little different as Ajax had a working agreement with the parent club. I think you will still see Ajax starting more players from our youth system on the first team than either PSV or Twente. Those are facts and I'm making no other value judgements.

I think that I will exile myself from this thread for the remainder of the season since truth seems to be quite absent. Good by and good luck for the remainder of the season. You can find me on the Ajax thread where we always search for the deeper meanings of life and football.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    "At least he's Dutch" is not a value judgement? "That was a little different as Ajax..." is not a value judgement? Of course Ajax pays compensation to these clubs. So does every single other Dutch club that picks up a foreign youngster. All football clubs are as bad as each other.

Of course Ajax starts more players from its youth system. Ajax has a scouting radius with a population of over 5 million, stretching as far out as Utrecht (Sneijder, Van Basten!). Twente has a scouting radius with a population of 600,000. It would be downright weird if the likes of Ajax and Feyenoord weren't picking up more talent than Twente, also owing to their historical status and pulling power.

What I'm reading into your posts is that you don't believe Twente has the right to be creative in its scouting. I always get from your posts and those of other Ajax fans a 'Twente should stay in its box' message. As if it's difficult for you lot to accept that Twente is going to try everything it bloody well can to stay on top, and to continue to grow.

Also I wish you wouldn't take this personally. We're just having a discussion about two football clubs and we disagree. That's hardly earth shattering is it.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well it's goodbye to Europe then!

We played really well in the first half I have to say, couple of chances to go 2-0 up. When tiendalli was (stupidly) sent off it was all over though. Atmosphere was fantastic throughout the game, we gave the team a proper thank you for what overall was a brilliant and at times just weird European season, from the first CL game where we got a draw v Inter, immediately shutting up the Dutch football community who said we had no business in that CL, through to the bizarre 0-2 away at Rubin Kazan at minus 20 (no Twente fan - or player! - will ever forget that one).

Back to league business!

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Praise from Villareal fans on Twitter for our fans:

.madridatleticos Cuatro(Spanish TV channel) are praising the twente fans for still singing even though they are losing and going out #vivaproperfans

.VillarrealCF @spgore @aupasubmarino have you checked villarrealusa.com? or simplyfutbol.com BTW TWENTE'S FANS ARE AWESOME

.aupasubmarino #Villarreal 3rd European semifinal. Congrats to awesome #Twente fans.. If i have to support a team in the Dutch League, I pick Twente

I in turn want to wish Villareal good luck in the Europa league! Do the Dutch a favour and win the thing now (we don't like the Portuguese and that's putting it mildly)

23. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

you can make statistics look how ever you want...

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

What statistics? The thread title refers to the Club Positioning Matrix (CPM). It's based on an independent survey by Sport + Markt, a football research company. The league has this done every year. It in part determines the distribution of television money. All official I'm afraid. By the by, according to the same CPM, Twente is also the most attractive club in the Netherlands.

25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Ajax still got 30% more points though. It's our all time low vs your all time high. Imagine when Cruijff will take over at Ajax.