Official "Whine About Rossi Wanting to Play for Italy" Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Casper, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't really want to discuss this issue anymore.

The point of this thread is: when someone ruins a perfectly decent Spector/Howard/Rossi/Cooper Manchester United thread with a rant about Rossi, put in a link to this thread so that they won't ruin that one further.

I should be able to read about how Spector played in a reserve match without reading meanspirited stuff about Rossi, who's just trying to build himself a career in peace and never hurt anyone.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Amen

3. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    I think the problem US posters have with Rossi is that he was born in the States and spent a good part of his life in the States an dhas made the choice to play for Italy. Personally, I think it is amistake as he may have anuch better chance of playing for the USA than Italy, but who knows for sure.

I would be somewhat upset but not terribly so if my boys decided to play for Wales or England over the US if they were good enough, but I really do not see that happening as they are diehard US supporters at the ages of 7 and 5 respectively. But then again, things change, attitudes change.

4. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Martini & Rossi isn't even a wine? Is it?

Why complain about something called Asti Spiccoli?

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give Rossi time, give him time. And we will have our Owen Hargreaves. Please let Rossi make the 2010 Azzuri Squad as a starter. I hope the US won't be drawn in Italy's group but I won't put it pass FIFA for the US to be in the Group of Death in 2010.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not so. Every YA thread is a Convey thread.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I'd like a thread for this type of whining... hopefully the mods will let it stand.
    I'd also like a thread like this for Convey... so that any match Match thread could actually be about the match.

Who's Martini?
    Was this guy born American and also wants to play for Italy?
    Or is it an Italian born player that wants to play for the USA because he has no chance with the Azurri... and which is more American?
    :)

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi - kid with an opportunity to play for Italy or the US, chooses Italy, is shat upon by US fans.

Regis, guy with an opportunity to play for France or the US, chooses the US, is shat upon by US fans.

Hardly seems fair to either, no?

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    At least we're equal opportunity. Black, white, American, French, Italian, Mexican, Swiss, Dutch, German (except Dooley), guy with a wierd Amero-Anglo hybrid accent married to a Jamaican ... we've shat on 'em all.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dino Martini.

"Everybody must love somebody sometimes ... even Rossi and Bobby C."

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi
    Finocchio!

12. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Why do some US fans bitch on Rossi and then welcome Adu with open arms?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Now come on, you know the answer to this one.

Adu - I want to play for America
    Rossi - I want to play for Italy

That would be a critical difference.

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i was talking to a friend of mine (who is Ghanian)... When i told him about Adu, he siad said: "Adu sucks, he is garbage" (the way he said it, he might have as well said "F-him")

What does the typical BS poster feel about my friend's comments?
    1.That comment was uncalled for..
    2. Well, he is being "patriotic".. He's got every right to insult the kid, if he wants to....
    3. Any suggestions?

I think Rossi is a Yank and that's that... I'm totally in agreement with CAsper... The kid is playing football (soccer) and he's not trying to start any trouble with anyone... Yet, he is treated as if he gave away state secrets....

15. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not so much that there's a problem with him playing for Italy... it's more of a problem of people following him as an American aborad when he, clearly, considers himself an Italian abroad.

Good luck to him, but I can't consider him a YA.

16. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    It will be interesting to see if Rossi ends up doing well enough to even get invited to play for Italy. I understand that he has played for their youth national team, but he has a long way to go before he ever gets a callup for their senior side. I would guess that if you looked at the rosters of Italian youth national teams, only a few players on each team ever get a cap with the senior team.

And as of now, Rossi is just playing for the reserves at ManU, and not exactly tearing it up. Rossi doesn't seem likely to break into ManU's first team any time soon, given ManU's depth and the amount of money they have to spend on known commodities. Even if Rossi were lucky enough to crack the first team, to get a call-up for Italy, he would have to play really well or score a respectable number of goals, which is itself no small feat in the premiership. Although I've never seen the kid play, in light of his current position, I think the odds aren't in his favor when it comes to him ever getting capped by the Italians.

When he's 25 and has never gotten a sniff from the Italian national team and is playing for a bottom dweller in the permiership or a team in the Coca Cola Championship and playing respectably but not setting the world on fire, and the U.S. invites him into camp, he may ultimately decide to accept the invitation.

In any case, it will be interesting to follow his progress...

17. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    US fans welcome Adu with open arms for the same reason some English fans welcome Harvgreaves with open arms... ;)

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a funny, nutty, obscene, silly, offensive debate about Freddy on a Ghananian message board. Illustrates the mixed emotions that he inspires among his ex-countrymen -

http://www.clubgh.com/MEGABBS/thread-view.asp?threadid=58&posts=46

As for your question ... patriotism has nothing to do with equality, rationality, or other such noble principles. It's a gut thing, you know.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not possible. If he has played for Italy's youth sides in competitive games he won't be able to switch associations once he turns 21. If the U.S. doesn't call him up before that age, it's over.

Anyway, some people need to get over this - it happens to other countries as well. Italy is about to lure away a very talented player called Davide Chiumiento from us.

20. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adu chose to be identified as an American.
    Rossi chose to be identified as an Italian.

There is nothing wrong with either choice, but I will look at Adu as an American and Rossi as an Italian.

It's really that simple. If one wants to be an Italian, let him.

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004

An Australian kid moved to Italy aged about 15 and now plays for Italy - Christian Vieri.

22. TornACL

TornACL New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Isn't it about time these lesser countries stop poaching talented foriegners for their national team? Italy's not such a bad place. You'd think they could develop a professional league where they could develop their own talent.

But there's always hope, the USA used to do the same thing ... maybe once Seria A is as good as MLS they won't have to search abroad for any players that might have Italian heritage.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It happens to the best of us http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2004/headlinenews?id=302734&cc=5739

Fvcking Italians not good enough anyway. But youv'e done the same with Adu and we've done the the same with with Barnes.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Zac Whitbread of Liverpool moved from Houston to the UK when he was 2 years old or so - but the guy wants to play for the US and has done so at youth level. There is not a jot of Yankee accent there!

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, duh... they don't teach the Yankee accent in Houston. :D