Official W.C. withdrawal poll. Mexico or Portugal?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BallStateMiddie, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  2. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a habit of standing for important sporting events where my teams are involved (nervous energy). I remember at about 4:35, being shocked that we were leading Portugal 1-0. I remember the feeling of leading 2-0. But when McBride scored to make it 3-0, I don't think I had ever expierenced such elation in my life. AFter all those years, all the qualifiers, all that negative press and here we were up 3-0 on Portugal. People said we couldn't beat them. Well we were destroying them. I was so shocked that I literally fell over and watched the rest of the match from the floor, unable to talk.

I don't think even winning a World Cup will repliacte that feeling. It will be better in some ways, but different. I hope I never forget the way I felt durring that match for as long as I live.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Yeah. I know exactly how you feel. Although beating Portugal was the ***************! Anyhoo, EE. UU. 2-0 MEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    That rulz man. Seriously rulz! ;)

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Exactly.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we played better against Mexico than any other World Cup opponent - we controlled every aspect of the game from start to finish. We may have been defending for most of both matches, but while the Portugal match gave me the impression that we were back on our heels for much of the second half, we were clearly in control in the Mexico match as the Mexicans were reduced to knocking the ball around their own half.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to vote for our win against Germany, except that the idiot Scottish ref SCREWED us out of two goals!

:D

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably yelled louder when Corea found the match winner against Portugal!

Y'all have to be smokin' crack if Portugal is anywhere near the victory over super arch-rivals el Tri!
    Maybe its the fact that as a native Houstonian and proud Texan we down here by the border grow up with mexie friends in the neighborhood, play against All-Mexican high schools or adult teams when we get older, once in Texas history the Mexican flag flew over Tejas for 15 years until we WON (wink-wink) our independence, so true Texans know and respect the pride behind those colors and what el Tri means to a Mexican man..maybe its the fact that Mexico WAS the undisputed #1 nation in our region and that is now gone, over. Claimed in one 90 minute match in Corea that ended 2-0, one McBride goal in the first half to decide the match and then a 2nd half Donovan header to remind them what sport they were trying to play!
    Friends of the beautiful game, Portugal was incredible. I've never passed out during a live sporting event but when Landon's deflection went in I stood up so fast and yelled so hard that I almost passed out! Beating Portugal like we did I'll never forget. But for a Texan and die-hard Yanks supporter, beating Mexico at the World's stage to claim bragging rights for the next 30 years till the next time we MIGHT meet a CONCACAF team in the second round...I'll take it partner!

9. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Exactly how I would state it. We knew we could beat Mexico. They're like our little brother. But Portugal is like or dad, or the big man on campus.

10. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Never thought the poll would turn out to be such a big hit. Nice to come back after a week of vacation and see well over 100 votes. Anyway, lots of good points on the matter. After reading them, I stick with the Mexico game. I agree that I never felt the way I did when I watched the Portugal game, and I hope I never forget it. But, for me, the Mexico game would've been top 5 all time biggest wins for the U.S. even if it wasn't against Mexico. I think historically, in 8 years or so, we'll look back on that as maybe a turning point in the whole U.S. soccer arc. The one point we can look back to and say, that's where we took over the confederation.