Official (U20) Youth Japanese NT Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by KATO, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    He is not that short. He is 1.81m but yeah he shorter than the average CBs in the top 5 leagues. He can be converted into a DM imo, his ball-playing skills are not that bad. Its better for Japan anyway, Japan's DM problem is more serious than the CBs. At least Japan has the likes of Nakatani, Shoji and Ueda to fall on and Yoshida might still be available in the Qatar WC.

2. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Gordon, no club in Europe wants a japanese CB "with the prospect of converting him to a DM", And in Japan, he's not going to be converted. It really depends if he's up a to a move to a second string team in Europe (as a CB)

3. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    What I meant was that maybe clubs are interested in him as a DM but well you are right about him in Japan since Kashiwa lacks alternative to him thats why he will remain a CB in the J league. He can start at a lowly-ranked team in Serie A or French League like Crotone, etc. or a mid-table team in Belgium or Switzerland,etc. to slowly adapt to the pace and physicality.

seolseol repped this.
  4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Feel free to mark my words, no Serie A team is going to buy a japanese CB straight from Jleague.

Whispered11 and rougou repped this.
  5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    They seemed to play good after going behind in each match, but that may be due more to the other team's adjustments. All in all, the chances were there, just there was no striker to put them in. Whenever Iwasaki did decide to show up he tripped over his own feet. The goal btw should have never went in. It was a soft header right down the middle of the goal.

6. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Playing well is their real value. Today they were better than Venezuela by stretches, though the south-americains had some really good individual talents. They created a double digit number of chances. But no striker, no finishing, no goalkeeper and no leader outstanding enough to make things happen when the game is locked.

The main reason for the loss is the players shortcomings. Then comes Uchiyama. But I don't think it would have made a massive difference had he coached well.

Nakayama was good but Tomiyasu was better today. A rock.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  7. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
  8. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nope.

I agree and don't think there was any problem in "tactics" or "style" or coaching. Uchiyama's problem is just that the player shortcomings are ultimately due to his callups. The sad thing is that this wasn't the team that could have been, in central midfield nor in attack.

9. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Is it a trend to scapegoat the coach everytime the youth teams fail in Japan? Every Olympics/WC u20/17 etc I read it's a coach's fault for his poor selection and bad coaching.

10. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Not related to what happened on the pitch, but the Japanese U-20 team has gained attention for what they did off the field:

http://sports.news.naver.com/wfootball/news/read.nhn?oid=076&aid=0003099378

Basically, usually when a match finishes the locker room is strewn with rubbish and other stuff left for the stadium officials to clean up afterwards. But the Japanese side didn't leave a single bit of rubbish, and even separated recyclable wastes, and the officials at Cheonan Stadium praised them given that they've never seen a U20 side do such a thing.

[​IMG]

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    The way he called upon Kubo every single time is a fault. Physically, he was absolutely overmatched. He also had two better GKs and stuck with one who didn't make a single decisive save of the tournament.

12. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, I don't think we get eliminated because of the GK. It's easy to give the fault to the goalkeeper, but he didn't make any blunder, and that in a japanese GK is a really good thing.

13. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    He also has to make some saves once in a while.

14. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Japan had really some good crosses in the 2nd half of the match but no one was able to get on the end of those. I really wonder if Japan not really have a tall forward other than Ogawa in this age group.

15. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    He did at least 1 pretty good save (not that Venezuela shoot on target so many times), probably an easy one but I bet a lot of GKs in this World Cup U20 would fail on that shoot.
    He was average but with the whole defence he was quite good. Japan's Achilles heel was the clueless nearly dumb attack phase, probably an heritage that will be hard to lose. :mad:
    Actually the best ever senior team international experience is WC2010 when Okada defence phase was nearly perfect while in the last WC when we said "we need to score more than the opponents" we didn't and it was a disaster. :confused:
    From this pov this Japan U20 left me good feelings about the future. Since it seems impossible to rise some 20goalsXseason forward, let's build a rejuvenated midfield and a tough defence. :coffee:

KAPIJXM and Drew1404 repped this.
  16. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The goal is a blunder for me. It was a relatively tame header towards the center of the goal. He seemed to get himself off balance somehow

17. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    It is very difficult for Japan to produce such a striker. It is better for Japan to focus on defence and set-pieces like WC 2010. I like the direction that Halilhodzic is taking the JNT rather than the toothless possession it had under Zaccheroni.

18. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The whole defense has some fault too, they let shot the same guy alone in 2 consecutive CK.

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's because you don't really read the posts carefully, be honest. There isn't any scapegoating here, he called up some players who shouldn't have been there and those players didn't perform. Nobody has complained about his guidance. Besides, the London olympics were a success overall so not sure what you're getting at, while the U20 hadn't qualified in a while

20. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    True.
    All in all, they gave Venezuela too much possession and set play opportunities, so it was bound to bite them even though they defended persistently.

KAPIJXM and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  21. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm from Italy and I approve this message.
    No, even better.

...because we lack patience and prospective.

22. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Doesn't matter how Japan performed, I read high critics against the coach of the JNT at young level, anytime. Olympics (the last 2) and WC (under whatever age you want).
    At least Zac/Vahid had their detractors and supporters not only the first ones.

23. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Anyway, they gotta get rid of Uchiyama and call a very good manager, because this generation will be the one for Tokyo 2020 Olympics... and it didn't look bright, except for a few elements (Doan, Nakayama, even Kubo). Missing Ogawa was crucial.

24. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It will be interesting to see how Kubo develops. He lost the ball easily at times but also showed very good vision and feel for the game. I didn't get frustrated watching him in the final 3rd like I did with the other players. He was already more composed than them.

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Composure doesn't get you far if you lose the ball all the time ... Nothing to write home really.