Official Saudi NSR thread.

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by EstebanGranero23, Jan 10, 2006.

1. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    no ! i tell them to get off my sight , specially the stupid ones

2. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    If I watched Cougar town and went to community college first, I'd throw myself off a bridge and shoot myself on the way down to make sure I died. :D

3. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia to build 16 :eek: nuclear reactors.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article445147.ece

This will probably end up as successful as the Riyadh light rail line....which was supposed to be completed in 2009 :D

4. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    the government got the labs but they only need to run them

but i am against this dangerous tech.

we must stick to oil until we find a safer technology

5. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lets leave our animosity aside for a second.

I think you're EXTREMELY wrong, border line stupid actually to say something like that << nothing personal

1) Nuclear technology is much safer than even oil. How many times a year do pipelines and oil wells explode or go up in flames due to accidents and workers being stupid? This arguement is the same as saying flying is dangerous when it's in fact much safer than riding a car to work.

2) Light water reactors aren't dangerous and Chernobyl like disasters are pretty much out of the question.

3) Have you looked at your oil output? KSA was hovering around 10 mil/day for a long time but it's now around 8 and it will drop even further with time. No other country in the Middle East has been able to produce oil as efficiently as Saudi Arabia because of your relationship with the US. This means that your oil will also run out much faster than say Iran and Iraq who have been producing oil very inefficiently.

In Iran, transfer of technology from Western Europe and the US has been practically non existent for 32 years. That means limited growth in output (and even drop in output compared to pre rev era) and limited discoveries of new oil wells. Thanks to the growth of our industrial sector and rapid growth of science, things are starting to get better but we still have a long way to go. It will be years till we can produce 6 million barrels of oil on our own. So again, our oil will remain under ground longer thanks to inefficiency.

4) Iran has the second largest natural gas reserves on the planet and they are also virtually untapped. Long after Iran runs out of oil it will still have gas. KSA doesn't have this luxury.

5) While all ME countries are dry in general, we can argue that countries like Iran can still benefit somewhat from hydro power. KSA doesn't have rivers and thus hydro electricity is out of the question.

Long story short, your country needs an alternative and it needs it NOW. Nuclear energy is the only way to go. Hippy bs sltns like sun and wind won't cut it.

One thing I don't undersdtand is the cost. 300 billion dollars is going to CRIPPLE the Saudi economy (when we also add the astronomically high military expenditure) and we can all be sure that this is just an initial estimate. Costs are always higher at the end than the initial estimate. Saudi Arabia is getting ripped off BAD. A nuclear reactor doesn't cost 7 billion dollars plus.

EDIT: You guys also need to factor in the possibility that one day KSA might start producing stuff at home. Without electricity, a strong industrial sector is out of the question.

6. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    While I agree with most of your points there are a few points I'd like to make:

Saudi Arabia never tops more than 10 million barrels a day for very long unless there is a problem in supply such as Libya or the Iraq wars. Since 1991, we've been producing around 8 million barrels per day on average.

Untapped? Iran is the third largest producer of Natural Gas in the world with 200 million cubic meters per year.

Saudi Arabia has sizable natural gas reserves as well. Not as large as Iran but we're producing it slower.

In addittion, we have significant mineral reserves in the west of the country. I'm more worried about the smaller nations like Kuwait and Qatar.

This is 300 billion over 20 years. Not all at once.

Most likely, these are the latest generation European Pressurized Reactors (EPR) which in France and Finland have been shown to cost 5 to 6 billion Euros.

7. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I say untapped b/c Iran has 38728417800000 cubic yards of gas (2007) while the production of gas for that year was only 169 billion cubic yards. Keep in mind that Iran uses outdated tech to discover new deposits and discovery of new deposits is EXTREMELY likely.
    This is what Forbes says
    "one estimate suggests reserves could support 780 billion cubic yards by 2025 and maintain this for at least 25 years."

So 169 vs 780 in my mind is untapped.

And yeah I made a mistake. The avg over the past decade was 8.8m/day but the problem is that it's extremely high. KSA officials have been promising the US to rise it even further. If the reserves stated by KSA are correct then there is nothing to worry about, but we all know that every OPEC producer lies to get more quota. According to this KSA reserves are overstated by 40-50 percent and with 8-10 m/day production things will get nasty in 2 decades.

regarding the cost, I checked the ouput of the reactors you mentioned and they are 1650 MW reactors.
    In comparison the AP1000 reactors being built in China produce 1154 MW each.

"In 2009, the published cost for 4 AP1000 reactors under construction in China was a total of $8 billion."

8 bil for 4 reactors vs 7 bil for one and you can bet that the 7 will become 8+ by the time it's finished.

It could also be the same old Arab mentality of "more expensive is better," I don't know.

8. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The problem is that Aramco does not release proven oil reserves so basically any discussion on this point is pretty much just speculation.

Remember that you're talking about the AP1000 reactor which is intended to be cheap. The ERP reactors are much more expensive.

In fact, Sarkozy signed a 12 billion dollar deal in China for two EPR reactors in 2007.

Also, Moody's Investors claim that since prices rises in 2008 all new reactors will be more expensive than before.

9. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia is planning a massive armed forces expansion:

According to Nawaf Obaid who is a Senior Fellow at the King Faisal Center for Research & Islamic Studies based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He was also private security and energy advisor to Prince Turki al-Faisal when al-Faisal was the Saudi Ambassador to the United States.

Saudi Arabia is planning to spend 150 BILLION dollars in the next few years to accomplish the following figures:

-Increase the size of the armed forces and National Guard by one third (120'000 troops) which would put up it above France in terms of active military personnel (Saudi Arabia does not have a reserve force)
    -Increase the forces of the interior ministry by 60'000
    -Add 1000 new MBTs to the armed forces (currently, Saudi Arabia operates around 800 MBTs split between M1 Abrams, M60A3 Pattons and AMX-30 tanks with 152 Russian T-90s on order)
    -Add another 200 combat aircraft to the Air Force for a total of 500 (currently, with the retirement of the Tornado ADV and F-5 Tiger II the RSAF operates 313 combat aircraft (if we count all the Typhoons that still aren't delivered)
    - A new missile defence network
    - The Navy will receive "extensive expansion and refurbishment" with no details

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/08/a-saudi-perspective-on-the-arab-uprisings/
    --------------------

And I just got news that Saudi Arabia is looking at the Arkleigh Burke Class Destroyers. The most advanced in the world:
    http://defensenews.com/story.php?i=6799195&c=AME&s=SEA

How good is the Burke?

10. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Does anyone watch the Evolution Championship series? It's basically the World Cup of fighting games.

This year a Saudi player managed to take 2nd place in Super Street Fighter IV arcade edition! His name is Latif and he took out legendary players like 2009 and 2010 champion Diago "The Beast" Umehara who's so awesome he has his own wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Umehara

He also took out Hajime Taniguchi (aka Tokido) and Korean Chung-gon Lee (aka Poongka) and American champ Justin Wong.

Unfortunately he lost the final to a good player (Fuudo) in the final but here's a video of him beating Daigo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MsjIei1kM"]‪EVO 2011 SSFIV AE Semi Finals: Daigo vs Latif‬&rlm; - YouTube[/ame]

Damn I'm so pumped up I'm going to play some Street Fighter IV now :)

11. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2L826P2oro"]Arab Driving School Improv - YouTube[/ame]

12. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    happy eid ...

13. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Anyone who liked to watch Captain Majid (aka Captain Tsubasa) as a kid MUST watch this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcILvjw7kx8"]Bath Bayakha S02 E25 Captain Maggi - ????? ???? - YouTube[/ame]

14. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    LOL...He is more like huga( basam) but yeah all that crazy talk and shit in anime..haha..

I'd Annihilate that arab btichhhhhhhhhhhh

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Does anyone else have a father like this? :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWKbN2NL0Q"]Godfrey - Father - YouTube[/ame]

16. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Apparently, women can vote and run for seats in the next municipal elections (not the ones right now but the next one in 4 years time)

My reaction?

I would care if I knew anyone that voted. :cool:

17. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Yep. They've won the privilege of sharing the joke of municipal elections with the menfolk. Yet they still have the guardian system and even the driving ban.

A kingdom of wonders!

18. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    why girls love pink?

19. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Guys,
    Theres a huge drop in participation by the BS members especially from Saudi Arabia. Many members have vanished. To make thread more interactive and informative , please invite more people from your friend circle or however you can. It will be great contribution. Lets make the KSA section the most visited and informative section in BS.
    Thanks..

20. serro

serro Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Riyadh
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    why people like small bodies with over sized heads and large eyes ?

hey guys anybody's there who is sane enough to like this music ?

okay okay okay

this is the last edit i promise

apparently today is the International Women's Day why women have this day congratulations insecure women of the world ... freud was right about you . u anti logical pretty creatures

21. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    Does anyone know what happened to burning_phoneix? Is he alright? It's been a year since he was last seen online.

I hope he's okay... :(

22. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

23. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Actually , he could not take it that his team is back in SPL and fell out sumwer, untill he woke up he again got back to the place he was after realising that his team is relegated again..
    Anyways, yes he and many more members are not to be seen anywhere in this forum. Saudi forum is going dead now. I wish i could contact the lost members and bring them back..

24. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Actually , he could not take it that his team is back in SPL and fell out sumwer, untill he woke up he again got back to the place he was after realising that his team is relegated again..
    Anyways, yes he and many more members are not to be seen anywhere in this forum. Saudi forum is going dead now. I wish i could contact the lost members and bring them back..

25. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah I hope burning_phoneix and the rest of the guys are ok, I used to enjoy reading the the posts of Sayf and HiJazzey as well (there are others but I can't remember them) before I sign up and start posting here and I'll be glad if they come back.

I'm afraid the "death" of the forum isn't exclusive on the Saudi BS, almost all the Arabic forums are dead/full of nonsense too, which is sad because I believe such an interactive forum provide excellent and effective space for the members' contribution which the social websites still can't offer.