Official Rugby World Cup thread (lots & lots of [R's])

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    "Aussie Stadium" is the sponsored name of Sydney Football Stadium - home of the New South Wales Waratahs. The Sponsor is "Aussie Home Loans".

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They did a knock-on, the ref did blow quite early but the South African was a bit caught up in the moment and kept going.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I take your point, but unless the old memory is going, Dawson played in the wins against New Zealand and Australia earlier in the year and looked much more impressive. I think Bracken would have had to have had an absolute blinder to be in with a shout of being the first choice scrum half. I can see Bracken getting the nod for the Samoa game at least in order for Dawson's injury to clear up properly.

Maybe if I had seen the second half I'd have a different view, but it was worth missing it to go and see Chelsea put in their place!

4. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't seen the ad yet, but was already planning on going. Which the US would play a full test there some time though....hopefully in the near future.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's no doubt that Bracken played a lot better in the second half, but to be honest in my view that was only a jump from very poor to average. The thing about Bracken is that he does not have Dawson's attacking capabilities or intelligence, he's far too one dimensional, just spins the pass out. The best scrum halves are those who can not only pass but are also capable of taking the ball on themselves.

I hope Andy Gomarsall gets a game at some point, I went to the same school as him :D

6. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Aha - if we're name dropping I've got you on that one - I was at school with Matt Dawson and you could tell he was going to go far. We also had Nick Beal in the year above (Northampton and sometime England fullback) - we whupped everyone's ass that year.....

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can you say "Overkill"?

Australia 142 Namibia 0

We also now having a bit of a cry demanding the return of the Pacific Rim Cup.

In my opinion, it's needed.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or at the very least, a serious suggestion that the gap between the have's and the have not's is quite wide.

Could only stomach viewing about five minutes of that game today. After that, I knew it was going to be abso-friggin-lutely ugly.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Didn't see it but much like Germany's 8-0 mauling of Saudi Arabia in Japorea, I suspect it was rather dull.

It's ture that there's a gap, but whilst there's levels of 'haves' there's also levels of 'have nots'.
    I would have said, Japan are a have not so too the US, but both have given relatively decent showings.

Basically, (I'm in a rush and already late) I feel that despite the Aussie score, the difference between the top and bottom of the scale is far less than in years past.

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031026/325/ec6ee.html

England played poorly, especially in the first half, but rallied a bit in the second half to beat a strong Samoa team 35 - 22. I am interested to see how Samoa do against South Africa in the final pool match.

So that means the quarter finals have pretty much gone as planned, not only in the teams which have qualified but also in their placings. Only Samoa - South Africa and Scotland - Fiji still need to be decided.

Australia Vs Scotland / Fiji
    New Zealand Vs South Africa / Samoa

Ireland Vs France
    England Vs Wales

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on this, I see it going:

Australia over Scotland/Fiji(although I'm leaning on Scotland winning)

England over Wales-not a shocker.

Ireland/France-Will be a tough match, but I'm going with the Irish in me-Ireland wins.

NZ Vs South Africa-leaning towards the All Blacks, but if South Africa gives them a fight like they did the first half against England, the might edge out the win.-Toss up.

Should be a good set of Quartefinals.

14. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Don't be so sure that it will be South Africa in the QF's. If Samoa can replicate the performance they achieved today I think they'll push RSA all the way.

Yes England played badly today but don't underestimate just how well Samoa played - they are a big squad with big tacklers who also can play with flair when appropriate (and they have a great goal kicker - Va'a was superb today). They are gonna cause RSA some problems....

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe, but I think England will be their peak match. England are the number 1 in the World right now, so Samoa were pumped up to beat them. They'll be flatter against RSA. I hope they do it though, they deserve to be in the next round.

16. lollies

lollies New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Sydney
  17. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Nevermind the first in this WC.
    It's their first WC win since 1987.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The US flyhalf (Hercus) deserves a big pat on the back, he gave a matchwinning performance. To do that after missing the last minute conversion in the Fiji game took real guts. Kudos to him.

I was disappointed for Japan, they're a wonderful team but their schedule did them in the end, they just didn't have enough energy left.

19. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey William, what's the general impression of the USA team over there, if they're noticed at all. The 6 points they've earned in this RWC are probably the most they've ever gotten.

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been pretty even-handed, in a general sense, really.

The major press-- the AAP wire, both major Australian newspaper chains, Fairfax and News Ltd, and not forgetting the newspaper in the Rural Press Ltd chain that I work for :D -- hailed the Eagles' efforts in their opening game, and lauded them as valiant battlers in spite of their losing efforts. In fact, some news accounts (including the one I sub-edited that night) saw that match as one the USA should have won.

Since then, I think the accounts have been very fair. And not too much over the top when the USA beat Japan.

Oh, and this just in from my news desk (literally, since I am at work at the Ballarat Courier right now)-- France have beaten the USA in both teams' final pool match, 41-14.

I'll post a link to a report as soon as I can find one.

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Am I seeing things?

USA loses by a point to Fiji, the beat Japan, and now they have scored in every game they played? :eek: This must be some kind of record for them.

23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some key final group games played today:

Australia 17 - Ireland 16
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/031101/325/ecrdm.html

Scotland 22 - Fiji 20
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/031101/323/ecr7i.html

South Africa 60 - Samoa 10
    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/031101/80/ecrds.html

So Australia looked very unconvincing and only won because Ireland missed a last minute drop goal. Very bad luck for the Irish. I reckon the Aussies are going to get turfed out in the semis.

Scotland will be no great opposition for them in the 1/4 finals though. They didn't deserve to go through ahead of Fiji and have looked pretty rubbish this World Cup. McGeechan lost his ability as a coach a long time ago.

As for South Africa, they look class, lots of physical power and will push New Zealand all the way in the 1/4 final.

24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Did you know.............

that the USA is the current holders of the Olympic Gold in Rugby?

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I heard the other day...

But infact I was waiting for numerous claims that this fact, coupled with the improvement since RWC '99, could only result in the US dominating the sport in the near future, or at the very least be in with a serious shout at the next WC finals.