Official Portugal Forum Other Sports Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by jec1, Oct 7, 2016.

1. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Great idea. By the way congrats bud !!!! They chose well

2. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Go for it bud.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Baseball is a good way to get away from the Portuguese cagalhaoes. But then the Giants cagou

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Blue Jays with live to play another day. Cleveland starting a rookie pitcher today. If Blue Jay bats ever come alive (stop trying to hit home runs every at bat (hello Batista) then they could actually make this thing interesting giving how many injuries Cleveland has to starting pitchers.

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyone but the Dodgers. For the love of god....

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Blue Jays cagou. Cleveland deserved it.their pitching was clutch.

eurodad and nbstriker8 repped this.
  7. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Thank God they are gone.
    Baseball is as interesting and useful as a sandwich at a buffet.
    I once went to a Jays game, smoked a joint and then had a snooze up in the 500s.

GO LEAFS GO
    GO LEAFS GO
    GO LEAFS GO
    GO LEAFS GO

SCP_16 repped this.
  8. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

How's the bud out there?

Oh and LMFAO about the Leafs. They're an even bigger failure than the Blue Jays.

9. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    There's always hope. We have some decent talent and the best coach in the NHL, but then again what do you know about hockey living on the left coast.

10. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    No bud for me mate. That was in my youth.

BTW, Ppot and engineering of power plants don't mix.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    No need to thank the imaginary invisible man in the sky, the Jays screwed themselves. Yeah, I can't stand watching baseball either but the playoffs makes me stomach it somewhat.

Leafs? Now that is the biggest joke in pro sports. Did they build a statue of Auston Matthews yet? :p

12. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Too funny, but things are looking up for the Leafs.

Some promising talent + the best coach in hockey = hope

4-0 Leafs vs Winterpeg

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. I can't stand baseball but I magically get drawn in every post season. Kind of like college basketball for me

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It's kind of funny when American sports fans say soccer is boring yet they prefer to watch baseball which 80% of the 3 hours is spent standing around waiting for a guy to throw a ball...

Still gotta root for the jays, too bad Cleveland was on their game but in the end they deserved to go through.

Also Go Leafs Go

15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Enough to know the leaves blow. Rookie set a record and scores 4 goals, they still find a way to lose. Haven't won shit in 50 years. But whatever you say :thumbsup:

16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Love baseball and soccer. But baseball is an acquired taste. Totally technique and strategy. And it's on everyday.

Soccer > every other sport

17. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think I might be the only Canadian that would rather watch 3 hours of slam poetry over hockey. Hell, I think I'd prefer listening to a couple of fat girls discuss their menstrual cycles for a couple hours.

Hockey reminds me of watching 8 year olds playing soccer, they all just clutter around the ball(puck) and you can't tell what's going on. I have a hard time being able to tell the difference between the best team and the worst team. Looks to me the better teams are the ones that get the most shots from the blue line, that deflect off of 2 ankle's and a knee, before squeezing by the goalie wearing over sized equipment. I also feel like if I watch a hockey game, I need a 24 of Molson, while my friends Kyle, Josh and Gordon are digging into a bowl of honey garlic wings my wife Skylar made, while we all sit their on my dirty couch below my mounted moose head. In other words, it's to"white" for me.

Okay rant over, naaaah, hockey fuc*ing sucks.

SCP_16 repped this.
  18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Bro, never say leaves. The Leafs fans throw a fit when the see that.

19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Leaves :eek:

20. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol man I am so out of touch with the Canadians. Ok, my bad. Leafs* (sounds so grammatically incorrect).

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

haha slam poetry?! Damn, that's tough. Hockey is too much of a cluster f*ck for me as well. I watch it for the occasional San Jose Sharks choke-fest, but other than them being a local team, I probably wouldn't care much about it at all. It is the ultimate man's sport for sure though.

22. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    We were up 4-0 and Winnipeg comes back and takes it 4-5. That's a young team for you.

Regarding baseball, ironically I've been to a shi t load of baseball games and I've never had a bad time. In my line of work and the amount of travel I do throughout the states, I get a lot of tickets thrown my way and I always go to the game. I've never scalped a ticket because I love the social aspect of the game.
    Whether in Boston, New York, San Fran, Toronto, Kansas City or La I've always had a great time at a baseball park. Socially, baseball games are great. How could they not be. Sun + booze+fresh air + good friends =a good time . I once saw a game at AT & T park in San Fran, or whatever they call it now, and drank from the 1st inning to the last inning while talking to a guy beside me about music and how Depeche Mode were one of the best bands of the 80s/90s. I literally saw nothing of the game that particular day. So much so that my buddy had to tell me and remind me twice that the game was over.
    As for the game itself. Yuck, boring, slow, pedantic really.

SCP_16 repped this.
  23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In Toronto? It's great we got strains from everywhere ( a lot of the cannibus cup winners and runners up)and talented hippies growing locally lol

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You honestly can't tell what's happening in a hockey game? It is the fastest game in terms of player movement but c'mon it's like faster mini soccer or futsal with sticks it's not far off from the premise of soccer.

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh it's not simple but from what I know it's not a (direct)reference to actual leaves from the Maple. It is reference to a World War Canadian Army regiment known as the Maple Leaf Regiment that may or may not have actually existed and most likley was a reference to the maple leaf that most Canadian regiments had as their badge. Or even more likely named after the Toronto Maple Leaf baseball team that existed before the NHL name and then the excuse of the army came up to make the name have more meaning. Either way because the name isn't directed at actual leaves (although it is the logo) and instead the Maple Leaf baseball team, a regiment or the badge of several regiments grammatically "Leafs" is correct albeit very confusingly.