Official Perth Glory Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Akumastarr, Apr 5, 2007.

1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Glory's internal review is about to recommend Mitchell be sacked and Ferguson kept. You couldn't make it up.

2. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not really surprising tbh, prolly see Fergie go next, wouldn't be surprised(would love it actually) to see Franz Straka in the coaching job, considering the great job he did at Fury with one hand tied behind his back. Has a proven record of trying out youngsters and until the off-field drama's got to the playing group, I thought they were very attractive to watch. With no job, surely he'd be a cheap get for Glory. Would keep a good 'character' in the coaching ranks:) Good for media-types in a market where football is #3 or 4 behind the Weagles/Shockers/Force etc:)

3. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    ^^^won't happen.... It makes too much sense... Something Tony Sage obviously doesn't have.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1049263/Glory-days-ahead-for-Smeltz

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sage is talking about moving to save costs: what do you think?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...utique-venue-to-cut-costs-20110727-1i0cc.html

6. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know anything about the hockey stadium and if it actually is a decent venue for a professional football team after a make-over, but does he really want to limit the club's attendance potential to 10.000? Seems like after last season some people have given up hope to develop their teams in the respective markets and the league in Australia and are now rather trying to save the clubs' existence. If the club will be able to survive on that level long-term? I doubt that...it's Australia's 1st division football league after all.

7. thedukeofzill

thedukeofzill Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This sounds like a good move. If they sell out the hockey stadium it will encourage more supporters to buy a membership. Perth averaged about 8500 per game last season, if they improve on the pitch it's not much of a stretch to think they might sell out the stadium each week. It should also put them in a better position for negotiating with nib stadium in the future. I would assume that there is not much going on at nib stadium if the western force aren't playing there, the owners won't want to see the stadium empty for 8 months of the year.

8. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Western Force are playing there though?

Short term this may be a good move (1-2 years at most) - or maybe even the threat will be enough to bring NIB's costs down. Long term though the Hockey stadium is too small and out of the way compared to NIB.

9. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    This is kind of hilarious.

Anyone ever seen that stadium?
    If you take the 100 to Curtin University from Canning Bridge, you will pass it- it's a semi-pro league stadium at best.

10. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sage: It's Finals Or Sack For Fergie (And Get Off His Back, Effniks)

11. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...e-set-to-quit-perth-glory-20111219-1p1sp.html

Where to now for the Glory?

There has to be a Perth based team in the A-league, so Perth Glory's future isn't into question.

They might lose some of their players though.

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Doesn't he do this every year when his moron coach takes his overpriced squad nowhere?

13. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    At the end of the article he does leave an opening to stay.

His logic is pretty faulty, nobody will go an watch 'star' talent if the coach doesn't utilize the talent.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And sure enough........ :)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1086289/Sage-U-turn-a-relief-for-Glory

15. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    abusing his family, what a pack of gutless turds those supporters must be.

16. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well, I was one of the supporters that day, but on the western side of the ground - didn't see any of that abuse happen on the other side around the grandstand.

Am going to the next installment of Perth vs. Heart on the weekend : strangely, Heart are unbeaten at nib stadium - a statistic we're going to have to do something about immediately.

I hope Sage stops doing backflips about the future of Perth - I don't think there's an alternative likely if he bails out. He makes some good arguments about the running of the game, but it's counter-productive doing thinks like posturing over continuing support of the youth league or W-league teams. And unlike some owners, at least he doesn't threaten to litigate the world everytime he forgets to take his ADHD medication.

Also, I'm hoping the Glory can still get back into the ACL next year. I don't think we're much chance to win the A-League finals series, but there's a good chance of getting the Playoff spot provided a) Australia still rates 2.5 entries next year, and b) either Brisbane Roar or CCM wins the grand final. Love to go and watch good teams from Japan, Korea or China at $40 a seat, rather than the EPL freindlies that are WAY out of my budget.

17. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

18. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Smeltz magic again tonight - 7 goals in two matches. How red hot is that !!!!
    We can beat Wellington Phoenix if we bring tonights game back next saturday. Lot's more 'heart' from our back four.

19. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Perth are a team truly relying on a talented few to get results this year. Last nights game was indicative of that. Absolutely woeful stuff until Smeltz did what he does best. Fergie is the luckiest bloke in the A-League.

20. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    was going to say. utterly dire stuff, can see why crowds aren't pouring in to watch, goals or no.

21. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FourFourTwo:

22. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Not sure what I feel about Perth playing at Subi. Horrible place to watch anything, let alone A-League.

Given the work at nib there isn't really a choice I guess. The WACA might actually be a better ground for watching then Subi (and is better capacity wise) but won't happen during the cricket season.

23. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zhuangzi repped this.
  24. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Went to the game on Sunday with a few of my mates.

Subi was the usual shithole but the game was great, especially with a 90th minute header to win the game. Crowd was pretty good as well I thought.

25. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States