Official Perth Glory Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Akumastarr, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How's it goin guys. This topics just been made for those to discuss any happenings with Perth Glory. There should be quite a bit to talk about soon with our new owners taking care of our precious Glory now.:)

2. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Official Perth Glory Thread

Yeah, I expected that coming ;)

3. MVFC_Thompson

MVFC_Thompson New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Melbourne

nothing really happening at glory... heard that Ron Smith was back from a scouting mission in South America, wonder if he got any players.

4. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Yes well, now that our last forward/striker in Bobby Despotovski has officially retired, we are incredibly desperate for forwards of any kind.

5. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

how olds bobby now?

6. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

He'd be about 36/37 now, he basically played for Glory till his body just couldn't stand it anymore. I think the major reason he stopped was because of a recurring injury or problem with his thighs.

7. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

He's running a football or sports equipment shop called Bobbys world or something isn't he? A mate of mine got fitted by him for some boots a week or so back :p

8. Aussie_Boy

Aussie_Boy New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    The Cove

Wonder if Perth would be able to lure Juan Sebastian Veron over?

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

As long as their new signing's no Brian Deane- they'll be right!!

10. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In relation to Stan 'The Man' Lazaridis, does anyone know what happened about his drug case? I know he was found to be taking a masking substance but it was also said he had permission or something but anyway, I haven't heard anything to follow up the story. Has anyone else heard anything about it?

11. SSbit

SSbit New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nothing. I guess the case is before some sort of sports tribunal?

12. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Perth Glory Football Club has been advised by player Stan Lazaridis that he has received notice from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) of a positive finding on a test sample taken in November 2006.

Lazaridis has a medical condition requiring treatment. The prescribed treatment contains a substance which may act as a masking agent and as such is prohibited under the FFA’s Anti-Doping Policy.

Lazaridis received a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) issued by the Australian Sports Drug Medical Advisory Committee (ASDMAC) providing him permission to use the substance in January 2007.

Perth Glory FC will support Lazaridis through the process. He also has the support of the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) and has engaged Senior Legal Counsel.

In accordance with Football Federation Australia (FFA) Anti-Doping Policy Perth Glory Football Club will not be making any further comments until the FFA Anti-Doping Tribunal hearing process is complete.

END

That was reported in the middle of March. My question is, if he has permission from the ASDMAC, why are they all of a sudden taking him up on the drug he is using? I haven't found any reports about the issue printed after the middle of March so maybe the issue has died down or they may just be waiting for the hearing process to start?

13. SSbit

SSbit New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Sydney
    I think they are taking up on the drug because the permission was given in January, so before that, he had no prima facie permission to use the drug.

14. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How about some action here!

Lots of news lately for Glory.

Firstly confirmation that MES will be the stadium for the coming seasons.

Secondly the return of Colosimo - fantastic (thankfully...)

Nick Rizzo's signing - how could anybody not be excited about that!?!

Mate Dragicevic's signing - an unknown quantity but an out and out striker, so certainly can fill a much-needed role. Let's hope he has some quality although the reports from Croatia aren't so positive about this guy...

Membership packages are out - hopefully everybody is filling them in and sending them off as we speak.

Next month we have pre-season games against some Malaysian teams over in Malaysia. It will be interesting to see the results, and hopefully some footage, from these.

Personally although we have a lot of unknowns, I think that our squad for the next season has the potential to be considerably better than the last. It's going to depend almost entirely on how these youngers/unknowns perform.

I'm not as depressed about the situation as I was two months ago, and that's a good thing :)

15. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd like to see the crowds returning for Perth next season. I guess if they can play some attractive football they'll come back. Back in the NSL days they had a great following.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I laughed when I saw that name- not because of the actual real life player, but when I was manager of Hajduk Split in 'Football Manager 05', he was one of my players! :D

In the game he was a decent but not outstanding player, if he can do that job for Glory in real life, a goal every two-three games or so- then he would be a handy addition.

17. raffa_the_gaffa

raffa_the_gaffa New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    perth going to struggle a bit.. losing harnwell and there new players apart from toper stanley are all young players so dnt expect too much from them this year

18. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21881179-23215,00.html

You can't be serious, Perth are going for another not particularly special aged player - please not as a marquee or as a guest - because this guy is a waste of money. he hasn't played for a big club for 4 years, has only 6 international caps to his name, he aint that special

19. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ^
    In all fairness, it's a wise move considering the background of the club. I don't know if you have realised or not but Perth Glory didn't have a single striker in their team when Despotovski left. I'd rather take this guy who at least has a bit of experience as a striker playing football for us then have a midfielder like Harnwell or any other midfielder thrusted up front trying and failing to score goals for us because they are out of position.

I don't think he would be our marquee player. I think that spot is being taken up by Stan Lazaridis if I'm not mistaken.

20. H.Town

H.Town New Member

May 31, 2007
    I hope the Glory days are just ahead of us. It seems that Perth is far more prepared than last season and hopefully, this bodes well for the team.

In other news: If you're tired of watching someone else run a team and feel that you can manage a soccer team far more effectively, then check out this Trophy Manager Site. www.trophymanager.com/index.php?ref=95976

Also, if you DO decide to join it, please challenge my team to a friendly:D I'll appreciate it (my team being Kolbe Raiders)

21. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We're certainly destroying the Malaysian teams during our pre-season tour.

3-0
    4-0 (against top Malaysian club team)
    5-1

and one game still to play.

New strikers are scoring :)

Will be interesting to see how the later matches against the WA state teams compare.

22. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You do know the Malaysian league is lower quality than our state leagues?

23. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    That's where Melbourne, Sydney and i guess CC and maybe Newcastle have a bit of an advantage, the NSW and Victorian state leagues are much stronger than those of Qld, WA or SA, so they don't get as good a hit out in the pre-season

24. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Perth are chasing Hayden Foxe for next season after Leeds were relegated from the Championship. Foxe had a promising career stiffled by injury, resulting in a long lay off for the former premiership defender who only returned to football last year with Leeds.

He would be one of the best defenders in the league, the old blood nut, used to be a socceroos regular before the injury