Official "Mike Burns is Really Bad at His Job" Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to LOL at the banner ad for this page. I realize these are customized, so you might not see this, but did anyone else get the Smokey the Bear "Fire Burns" ad when they opened the thread? You can't make this stuff up!

Feldspar, tsb11 and Mike Marshall repped this.
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Smokey’s had enough of Mike’s shit, alright? Cut a bear some slack.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second time in a couple of weeks where I've tweeted out an anti-Burns comment, and another ex-Rev retweeted it.

But keep telling yourselves that he's doing a good job even though other GMs, other agents, and most of our own fans even say he fails at his job.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not sure who you're alluding to (that thinks he's doing a good job) - Kraft? Or someone here?

I don't think he's doing much at all - I give all the credit for acquisitions to Friedel and his staff and scouts. I agree that some of Burns' statements are pretty infuriating to those of us frustrated with the lack of improvement, but other than that I think he's pretty irrelevant.

5. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I'd argue that the New England Revolution as a professional sports operation is in pretty dire straits when the team official charged with responsibility for leading "all aspects of the club's soccer operations, which includes oversight of the coaching staff, player acquisitions and scouting, the youth development program, and the team's day-to-day operations and management" can be so easily deemed... irrelevant.

Yeah... that's what a successful professional sports franchise is looking for in a general manager: irrelevance.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any organization in any sport, the GM is the anchor, the straw that stirs the drink. The good teams have good GMs and the not-so-good ones, well... So the GM is perhaps the most relevant figure in a team's arsenal, aside from a world-class/hall of fame caliber player or two.

Having said that, the entire New England Revolution is totally irrelevant on the local sports scene. They are not even a blip on the radar screen. While we are fortunate to be right in an extraordinary era where 2 teams have won several championships each and the other 2 "lesser" teams have each won one and are anywhere from legit contenders to very competitive, that's a high bar. But if you look at any other market where different teams are anywhere from good to mediocre to bad, the Revs are even less relevant locally than even the bad teams. There is so much more that could have been done to change that, but until the ownership sees the club as more than just a tenant to keep the stadium occupied and drive foot traffic to the mall and provide a nice tax writeoff, nothing will change.

Oh, but we have a new training facility! And Burns still won't be able to close the deal on a significant player!

eric_appleby and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    LOL. I am not saying it wont get built - there is every indication it will. But - so far there are plans. And some earth has been moved.

But for them to already claim victory, as if it is already done and as if they have already spent all the money - a claim which has reportedly already been used to cut off an interview request or question by Sean Sweeney of BSJ - isn't slack I am willing to give the Revs.

Especially when it is being used already as aircover/misdirection. Sean apparently asked for access to one or more Krafts for an interview, and was dismissed with something along the lines of "how bout that $35M we just spent on the practice facility -- you shouldn't be asking other questions."

The Revs "trust account" is wayyy overdrawn with me.

1058404622174486528 is not a valid tweet id

pwykes repped this.
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard, the PR policy that the Revs use continues on. If you want certain access, you can't be too negative.

Such a nonsensical method, but no surprise when it comes to them.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sounds just like our President's PR policy.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my thoughts on this but please, let's leave politics out ...

eric_appleby, A Casual Fan and TOAzer repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #186 RevsLiverpool, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Hey everyone, let's play Accountable GM mad libs! From this article:

_____ GM _______ didn’t hide from his team’s disappointing 2018 in his end-of-season roundtable with reporters. He knows just how brutal _____’s backslide was this season, and he took full responsibility.

"I am responsible. I didn’t do a good enough job. No one should blame ownership, we have all the resources that we need to succeed. It’s not the fault of the coaches or the staff, this season has my fingerprints on it,” he said. “No one quit, no one has made excuses, we defended the badge with pride and honor. Any shortcomings that anyone may see should realize that they are a result of my decisions.”

Which MLS team's GM said this?
    Hint: it's not ours...

The leadership will likely remain intact. _______ indicated that they remain confident in their process despite their three-year run of mostly poor results.

Answer here

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Believe me, I'm not defending it. I think if Friedel can show some success, he can probably get his own guy in. I know they've been friends and all, but there's a limit to that.
    I agree, but it's really up to the media to force that policy to change. They have to put enough pressure on the organization to make them open up.

To me, that's a result of an apathetic/uninvolved local media. They don't demand more.

The lack of information would never be tolerated by the local sports media from the Bruins, Red Sox, Pats or C's. They would be hammered unrelentingly.

TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not the pats

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean. When they do demand more, they're flat out told no. So what's the option after that?

15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    The media have the option of just not covering a team that denies them access. Not providing the publicity. Heck even saying that they asked the question and were declined a comment.

Instead they wait for the krafts to whistle, sit down at the snap of their fingers, and record the words they offer without question. I know we bemoan the lack of soccer coverage kn NE, but not writing about stories that provides limited information is always an option

16. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #191 Brian in Boston, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

First, as an entity that has existed for just 23 seasons, the Revolution don't command anywhere near the attention and devotion from New England's sports fanbase that the Red Sox (118 seasons), Bruins (94 seasons), Celtics (73 seasons), or Patriots (59 seasons) muster. They simply haven't had as much time to ingrain themselves into the culture of the region as the other four teams have enjoyed.

Further, while the Revolution's 13 trips to the post-season and 5 MLS Cup Championship appearances over 23 seasons may seem impressive, their longer-tenured New England pro sports brethren have all actually managed to bring home league titles during the same period. The Patriots have been to the NFL playoffs 18 times, winning 17 AFC East titles, 9 AFC Championships, and 5 Super Bowls since 1996. The Red Sox have qualified for the MLB playoffs 12 times, winning 5 AL East titles, 4 American League Championships, and 4 World Series Championships in the same period. The Celtics have punched a ticket to the NBA playoffs 14 times (with their current season underway), won 7 Atlantic Division titles, 2 Eastern Conference Championships, and an NBA Championship since the Revolution came into existence. And the Bruins (with their latest season underway) have made it to the NHL playoffs 14 times (there was a lockout year in the mix), won 6 Northeast/Atlantic Division titles, a pair of Eastern Conference Championships, and a Stanley Cup Championship.

As a result, right or wrong, the local media is only going to allocate so many resources and expend so much effort chasing down Revolution-centric content. Rather, they're going to focus their energies on in-depth coverage of the pro sports teams that move-the-needle the most with their audience.

Finally, it's not outside the realm of possibility that media members don't want - indeed, dare - to push too hard when it comes to asking tough questions about the operation of the Revolution, for fear that doing so will raise the ire of the Krafts... and lead to access to info about the Patriots being curtailed in retaliation. Given the outsized importance that the Patriots enjoy within New England culture as compared to the Revolution, it isn't a stretch to imagine that such a quid pro quo arrangement is a reality when it comes to the relationship between various media outlets and the powers-that-be at "Fortress Foxboro".

a517dogg, pwykes and BrianLBI repped this.
  17. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    There is enough evidence to suspect that this is a desired outcome for the Krafts, Burns, Bilello when it comes to the Revs.

After all, there are a lot of peripheral stories about support for Special Olympics, players making appearances as celebrity bartenders, plans to build a practice building, etc. that all garner good will, but...

...but on the other hand this team really often doesn't seem to want any in-depth coverage that, whether directly or indirectly, draws comparisons to their peers in MLS; at times, this can even include coverage of actual results especially during the annual swoon season, and also includes the other facets of their extended competition-related operation - such as personnel, scouting, coaching, financials, etc.

They seem OK with minimal outside attention on these matters.

After all, any in-depth attention by media on this stuff goes unnoticed by the broad general ticket buying public, and therefore has little impact on ticket sales, and therefore merits little or no involvement/effort by Revs mgmt to support that sort of coverage.

dncm, ToMhIlL and patfan1 repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noted this on Twitter yesterday, after a conversation with someone who covers the team.

My honest opinion (and it's just that):

The Revs do not want more die-hards. They'll spout the right words, but don't mean it. They want the families that come 2/3 times a year.

The latter won't ask questions. The latter really doesn't care all that much about the results. They mostly just want to see little Bobby and Susie run around with friends.

The former gets sick of the nonsense after a while. They do ask questions. They do show frustration.

This might be why the Revs seemingly have one of the lowest die-hard numbers in the entire league.

dncm, A Casual Fan, Doublecard and 3 others repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They hammer them in print, online, on talk radio, etc.

I think maybe only us older folks remember, but there was a time before this deluge of championships that the local media was really tough on the local teams - the Sox during the Haywood Sullivan years, the pre-and-early-Kraft Patriot years, the John Y. Brown Celtic years, most of the Jacob's Bruins reign, ...
    There's probably some truth to it, although I'm not sure it comes from the top - I think it's from the management level, because they are the most threatened.

At the "meet the Revs" events, Brad Feldman has an extremely thin skin for any critical questions during the Q&A is acts very contemptuous, rather than actually listening and absorbing the point. Burns, while less cynical, also sloughs off any kind of criticism.

Their faces light up when little Timmy gets up to ask what advice Kelyn Rowe has for him becoming a professional soccer player. You can instantly see the reaction change, when someone gets up and says "I've been a season-ticketholder since day one, and ..."

dncm, RevsLiverpool, a517dogg and 2 others repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, their privileges are threatened if they go negative. We won't let you have access to players, etc ...

Also, the second part of your statement, that's why I don't go to those show and pony events anymore.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has been my experience as well. The Revs do not want publicity if it isn't on their own terms. They certainly don't want scrutiny that the other teams are going to get, such as questioning when personnel decisions go wrong (there are always some that do), and just overall accountability. We are living in a golden age of Boston sports, where all our big-4 teams are at the top of the league or at least contenders, so the media have less to be critical about overall. But when that changes, they will be critical, if not harsh.

I've emailed the guy who wrote the infamous Boston Magazine article asking for a follow-up, but it's been radio silence. No idea if writing that put him on the Krafts' permanent blacklist, but it wouldn't shock me. When I was writing, I did get called on the carpet by two Revs staffers for being "negative" and there was a time I thought they might deny me a credential, but they never went that far. Jon Kraft got really pissed when I asked him about the stadium once, but I had no idea that was at the exact moment the Hartford thing was being worked on. When the Southie thing fell apart, I asked if they would consider other locations like Providence, Worcester, or maybe even Hartford...

As for die-hards, the Revs have never wanted them (us). Never, ever. We were a necessary evil and were used to get the word out in ways they never could, so that was OK, but with all the crap with Team-Ops pre-determined crackdown a few years ago, and lots of other stuff going back to 1995, that statement could not be more clear. Even when the league as a whole is capitalizing on the "fan passion" angle, our FO is happy with their increasing share of the buggy-whip market, when all the other buggy-whip markers have switched to using the leather to make car seats.

dncm, TOAzer, A Casual Fan and 1 other person repped this.
  22. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    LOL. Who are you, and what have you done with the real @rkupp?!!?

----------------------------------------------------

That being said, I agree with you that "management" (and some of their minions/proxies like Brad F.) feels very threatened, or at least uncomfortable/unequipped in these situations.

But I do think that at the same time that is also true that it comes from, and is reinforced by, behaviors exhibited at the top - specifically from Jonathan who has shown a peevish, petulant, "spoiled child" side on a few occasions.
    • The most blatant example was his reactions (I think on 98.5) when trying to rebut Kevin Alexander's Boston Mag article - almost to the level of ad hominem smears.
    • There have been other situations where it is clear that Jonathan does not want to engage in a true back and forth on less-than-flattering lines of questioning, even possibly moreso unwilling than John Henry or Belichick, both well known for instances of brokering little or no questioning of their infinite wisdom - and, again, moreso, but on a lesser scale, than Ainge or Dombrowski.
      • That sort of approach, apparently favored by Jon, seems to be a significant variation from many other of his MLS peers (admittedly, I might not have as good a handle on this as I imagine), who seem to be more willing to take the good flattery in somewhat more equal measures with the bad, fact-based, callouts.
    • This is all specific to JK; BK doesn't seem to be very aware of anything at any level of detail re:Revs, other than major things like whether they made the playoffs, or spending $35M on a new building. Anything below that is apparently far below his radar, from outward appearances.
    That of course is JK's prerogative, he's the owner and it is his money, he gets to make the big decisions about the overall approach to the Boston marketplace, so that's all good.

(It's good to be the boss - you are subject to fewer limitations, constraints, and norms of behavior than those with less power. And if you are the type of personality, or have the character, that embraces that, as JK seems to be, well that's just super for you!)

But, that doesn't stop me from getting hugely annoyed by that, nor does that stop me from my analysis whereby I conclude that is not a healthy approach to managing/stewarding a professional sports asset/franchise, given that it is so tied into the public's reactions and perspective.
    • It is unhealthy to the degree that I think, in the long term view of things, that Jon Krafts's behaviors are frighteningly shortsighted relative to what is best for the long term prognosis/success of the Revs franchise...
      • ... and also shortsighted relative to the possible upside impact to his current investment.
    • This is even more of a concern when compared to the current overall MLS direction and context, and even to a certain degree to the broader global soccer context..
    Jon Kraft, and therefore by example and extension as are his mgmt and proxies, are essentially "walling off" or even precluding any long term, significant investment of emotional energy by many (...but in fairness, not all) up-close hardcore fans.

He therefore is apparently comfortable, or oblivious to, forfeiting all of the benefits that would accrue to his "investment" over the longer term that would otherwise result from having that sort of fans in the mix.

And he is doing so apparently and solely for the purpose of avoiding "discomfort" now.
    (That's just my read on they "why" of his behavior, I could be totally off-base on that.)

He sets the tone, and the tone says "I'm going to make my Triple-A, minor league bed, and I'm going to sleep in it.".

>> So - his managers aspire to a minor league bed as well -- in a bedroom replete with Chuck-e-Cheese wall decor -- which is simply a manifestation by his managers of emulating the behaviors modeled at the top.​

---------------------------------------
    (Tom Hill, I think you and I (and maybe others here), in combination, maybe are borderline-stalking Kevin Alexander - I have @-ed him on Twitter multiple times asking him to do a followup, or recommend another journo to take the next swipe) Funny, but perhaps scary (at least to Kevin) at the same time.

----------------------------

Umm, yes, I am particularly triggered by JK. He just isn't what is needed to lead this franchise, IMHO. And, to me at least, he doesn't come across as a balanced, fair, nor nice guy, certainly not one for whom anyone would "want" to work.

----------------------------
    [Maybe this post really belonged in the Ownership vs Stewardship thread, as opposed to the Burn Is Bad (BIBAHJ) thread....]

ToMhIlL, tsb11 and TOAzer repped this.
  23. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes a post absolutely deserves to be in multiple threads.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casual Fan, you hit the nail on the head. I once saw none other than Jonathan himself picking up his Lexus for service a couple of years ago. My wife has an Audi that is older than our daughter, and dates back to our glory days of the Nicol years. Some of the guys working there were gently asking him things like "How does it look for the Pats this year?" since it was early summer before training camp. He was laughing with them and in a good mood.

So I decided to be a ball-buster and wet blanket and asked, "So are you gonna sign a big-time player for the Revs in the transfer window? We sure cloud use one!"

His smile turned into a scowl and he said nothing more as he got into his car and drove away. I know not everyone is used to tough, hard-hitting, make-you-squirm questions like that, where he could have easily just smiled and said, "we'll see..." but the master of media manipulation had a better plan! (people like that always seem to, or at least think they do).

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Without beating the dead horse (yet again), the Midnight Riders were light years ahead at league inception with the Fanzine concept and a die hard supporters group early on that other teams envied.

Just sayin...

a517dogg repped this.