Official "Mike Burns is Really Bad at His Job" Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Mar 4, 2018.

1. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could design a nice “Fire Burns” protest t-shirt and find someplace to print up a bunch, I would totally buy one and wear it to home games until the FO was “extinguished.” Just sayin’.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is he no fired for that alone? Talk about losing control of the budget.

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've used custome ink -https://www.customink.com/ -before. So there is a place to start for you creative type.

5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that I was a creative type with purdy pitchers.

6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had an avatar on here, until now...in honor of this thread.

nsa, ToMhIlL and TOAzer repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the revs reportedly listening to offers from Chicago and Montreal for Nguyen it will be interesting to see what Burns can get in return.

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me????

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 RevsLiverpool, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Read the Lee Nguyen news thread. That's what I was referring to. If Burns makes a deal I would bet my mortgage it will be for some combination of TAM/GAM. However if it's a player I would be fine if Chicago parted with Polster+money or just Nikolic (for example). Montreal doesn't have anyone I'd want on the revs.

10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Does anyone need Lee and a keeper? Because if Cody Cropper's not playing for us, I'm thinking there's plenty of other teams who'd like him.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought, and Chicago seems to fit the bill. With Richard Sanchez (allowed 4 goals Saturday) and recently signed Patrick McClain. along with reserve keeper Stefan Cleveland, all that they have in net.

Cropper didn't make the 18 again, so unless he is really sick, he's third string. After starting most of last year, he can't be happy about that.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope this is all bull. WE NEED LEE, not money we don't use or draft picks (worthless). We trade him and Im going with the fire BF movement.... already there on Burns

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You want to fire Friedel because Nguyen doesn't want to play here? :confused:

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it is way, way too early to make any conclusions on how this will all play out, but even now, it seems like some of this is on Brad's shoulders. Now if Nguyen comes back and plays at his previous level, all will be forgiven and forgotten. If they trade him for something of at least reasonable value (players who can step in now, not "future assets"), then Friedel will be OK.

But if this drags on and consumes us to the point where we are still talking about this a month from now, it will be a problem. And it will be (at least in part) due to how Friedel has chosen to handle it. He should have contacted Nguyen as soon as he took the job, tried to convince him that it will all be different with him in charge and that he wants him and needs him to be a major cog in the team. If Nguyen still insisted on being traded, Friedel should have told him he's disappointed, but he'd try to accommodate him. However, he's not taking less than full value in a trade and he expects him to report to camp on time and be a professional. A two-way street.

Instead, it's a combination of Friedel/Burns taking a hard line, zero-tolerance approach and Nguyen being a jerk about it (at least at the start). Where the actual truth is in all of this is anyone's guess, and there most certainly is a lot of stuff we don't know.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and Friedel will get at least 2 full seasons, even if we are 1999 MetroStars level of bad for both those years.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    How do you know that's not exactly what happened? It's what I think did.
    Three.

But, that's a glass %10 full kind of view. ;)

CynicRev repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it did happened that way, then it's on Nguyen. But I recall some reports that Friedel had not spoken with Nguyen until after he was a no-show, which is why I said that's what he should have done.

Like all of this, who knows what the full, real story is. This will all come out in time, and if it all turns out badly, there will be plenty of blame to go in both directions.

18. axwjklew

axwjklew New Member

Whitecaps
    United States
    Mar 13, 2018
    Because Friedel said he wasn't going to be traded BEFORE Nguyen held out: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...l-lee-nguyen-speculation-hes-not-being-traded. I don't know what he was telling Nguyen in the background, but saying that publicly and NE not entertaining trade discussions with other teams (
    ), would not give me confidence that they were trying to trade me if I was in Nguyen's place regardless of what Friedel was saying privately.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You'd never want to publicly declare you're trading him, that just creates the perception of a fire sale. Now, maybe the Revs went too far in the "we're not trading him unless you twist our arm" game? I'm not suggesting they handled this well, but I don't think Nguyen did either (although I could understand his frustration if his requests just met with inaction - if that's what happened).

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As for the topic of this thread, it should be noted that this season (starting when 2017 officially ended), the Revs have been bringing aboard international players at a decent pace.

Of course it remains to be seen how they'll do, but at least the current pipeline is a refreshing improvement from the near stagnation of previous years.

21. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't care how the Revs do this year in terms of acquisitions and performance on the field. Even if every acquisition is a stud, the team has a great record, and the season is a success by every metric...Mike Burns still sucks and has to go. I would need to see several years of consistent success before I would ever change my mind on him.

rkane1226 repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 NFLPatriot, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Having only 23 of 30 roster spots filled mid-season last year was an embarrassment. So, the fact that they are at 26 now and still looking to add is a good sign.

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think partial culpability falls to the coach, given past quotes about their "collaborative" approach. Heaps was out of his depth and grasping at straws last year. That said, it's still up to Burns to get the signings over the line.

24. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We'll see how the last two signings work out before I get excited. Our game Sat is against a real team. I think we'll know a lot about where we stand after that one.

A Casual Fan and MM66 repped this.
  25. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not have said what you said better myself. Exactly how I feel.