Official Malaga CF thread (R)

Discussion in 'Andalucia' started by Malaga CF fan, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    malaga defender gabriel has joined brazilian team cruzeiro on loan

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club is teetering on the edge of oblivion, just one point from relegation to Segunda B right now and the netherworld of the four groups and playoffs, just to return to Segunda A. Gotta say it's not shocking, given the awful mismanagement of the club all over the map (financial, player acquisitions and sales, managers, lack of talent, aging players, poor junior club system). You name it, Malaga has done it wrong for at least two years and probably more (like 4, ever since Juande Ramos left).

I'm a fan (of course) but I will not mourn the club (too much) if they fail to remain in Segunda A, they will simply be reaping what they have sown in mismanagement and poor finances.

Malaga is the sixth largest city in Spain. It deserves to have a team in Primera, but until things at the club change for the better, this team will teeter on the brink of disaster.

With 6 matches left, Malaga must get at least 7-10 points to ensure a permanent place in Segunda next year. It's not a tall order, but this was a team that began the year with the objective of returning to Primera. What a failure this season has been.:mad:

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50 points, six points clear of relegation with 3 matches to go. Malaga has, more or less, assured themselves of remaining in Segunda A and rebuilding for a real effort at promotion back to Primera next year.

What an awful year this has been.

5. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it could have been 7 points worse. Remember when Recre was saved from relegation by a club going under financially? The next year they either got promoted or nearly got promoted. In August you'll be tied for first.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tied Cadiz 1-1 to mathematically secure salvation from Segunda B. 'Bout time. Club President Fernando Sanz got into a fist-fight at half-time with some disgruntled supporters. I'm not sure he's the one who has it comin'. This club was mismanaged the last 3-4 years before he took over as Presidente (ever since Juande Ramos left as manager after one year) so it was inevitable that this year was going to be a purging of the team, a house-cleaning to make way for the new and try to rebuild.

Hey, at least they didn't go down to Segunda B, which would have assuredly thrown the club into turmoil and see them suffer the same fate as clubs such as Real Oviedo, Hercules, or Extremadura.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting development for Malaga. Jorge Vergera, owner of Chivas, Chivas USA and Saprissa (Costa Rica) is exploring buying my Malaga for about $45 million.

He's gotta do it, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of an owner of decent teams (Chivas needs no introduction, Chivas USA seems to have gotten better each of its three years, Saprissa is the best of Costa Rica) buying Malaga and spearheading a return to Primera.

Malaga is the 6th largest city in Spain, the center for tourism on the south coast , and clearly deserves a team in Primera. Awful management and poor financial practices lead to their relegation two years ago, this year wasn't much better as Malaga sweated it out until the final weeks of the season before ensuring they would remain in Segunda A and not be relegated to the Segunda B Group IV, where teams go to die.

Here's the story.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/20/bc.la.spt.soc.vergara.malaga.ap/index.html

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting idea. We'll see how it works out.

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Extremadura after losing the playoffs between the 16th place Segunda B teams is now a proud member of Tercera Division Group IX where they will be playing the likes of my CP Cacereno team who were in third division in 1973-74 when I lived there for a year with my aunt. The two teams that finished on top of that third division group were Huelva and Almeria both in primera today although Almeria is a not that same Almeria team since that old one folded in the 90's! :rolleyes:

Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera y como no los extremenhos!

Er Pichi

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malaga seem to be on their way back. 2 wins in the first two weeks without conceeding a goal, they sit on top of Segunda. Obviously, it's a long season and it will take a while to sort out, but Malaga needed a quick start after struggling the entire year last year.

Offensively, they are looking strong, and with a solid defense, might just have enough to return to Primera this year.

Dare I suggest 5 Andalucian teams in Primera next year? Recre and Almeria have a shot to stay up, Betis must rebuild and Sevilla will contend for the title.

It's a long season, but it's starting well in the south of Spain.

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 games, 6 wins. 18 points, 4 points clear of 2nd place.

Very early in the year, but Malaga have started very strong. Hopefully, they can continue this roll all the way to Primera.

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're back.

I think Malaga will have to do quite a bit to remain in Primera next year, certainly they need to reinforce their offense and midfield. The first half of their season in Segunda was epic, but the second half left far too much to chance with Malaga only clinching promotion on the last day of the season.

To me, that signals a lack of depth and quality, which means the Sanz family had better spend some Euros to bring in quality and reinforce the bench.

20,000 socios should be enough to provide an economic base to build from. Spend wisely, sell wisely, stay alive in Primera.

Can't wait til next year.

14. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Congrats Malaga, welcome back to the primera. :)

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet, this means I should be able to go to a Primera match next season. :) I hope they get a decent opponent while I'm there.

16. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Players who have joined

Adrián López* (Deportivo), Duda (Sevilla)*, Miguel Ángel (Betis), Manolo (Levante), Luque (Granada 74), Nacho (Getafe)*, Lolo (Sevilla)*, Fernando (Betis), Antonio Tapia (entrenador); Iban Cuadrado (Murcia); Peré Martí (Elche); Welington (Grasshopper); Pablo de Barros (Zaragoza)*

Players who have left

Raúl Gaitán, Roberto Peragón (Alicante), Carpintero (Córdoba), Antonio Hidalgo (Zaragoza), Gerardo Carrera (Las Palmas), Erice (Osasuna); Paulo Jorge (Benfica); Muñíz (Racing de Santander

17. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to revive this thread a little bit, Malaga are on a tear, with 4 consecutive wins after starting the season goalless in their first 3 matches. They're now in 6th place with 13 points after beating their most hated rivals (Sevilla) in El Pizjuan.

Things are looking good after a very tough start, when the team's only real goal for the season was "la permanencia".

The next three games should temper the optimism somewhat. Barca at La Rosaleda, away to Real Madrid, at home to Villarreal. Getting any points from those games would be cause for celebration.

Nevertheless, the season has started on a good note and gives Malaga fans optimism that the team will achieve their goals and solidify their place on La Liga for seasons to come.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Eliseu Pereira dos Santos scored. How has he been thus far for Malaga. Was a intelligent pickup from Beleneses.

19. Sottobosco

Sottobosco New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Madrid
    I'm really enjoying watching Malaga play and he is perhaps the main reason for that. Such raw speed is quite a treat to see in la Liga.

4 goals in 12; a few assists too. Check the one out against Recreativo and Madrid if you can (that one was made and scored by him)

I think he's a bit theatrical and plays for the cameras a bit though.:rolleyes:

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, he is Portuguese and comes from the Islands. So that is to be expected isn't it? :D

And the his run on the sideline against Real was a thing of beauty. He made those 2 look like puppets. He's not only fast but surprisingly quick as well, his finishing often leaves something to be desired though. Example was his miss this weekend.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Eliseu on the right and Duda on the left, Malaga have one of the best wing combos in all of La Liga.

It's been a lot of fun to watch after two years in Segunda A, including a big scare two years ago when Malaga barely avoided relegation to Segunda B.

This is the best Malaga team since the team that won the Intertoto Cup and made the quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup back in 2003-2004.

22. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Malaga has made it through the first half of the season with the most ever points for a newly promoted side, with 31. In 7th place, the manager, Antonio Tapia estimates it will take another 12 points to assure the team of a place in La Liga for next season.

It's much to early to start thinking of the UEFA Cup and Europe. This team is made up of loaned players like Duda who may not be around next season. Without much depth, the UEFA Cup could complicate the need to build the depth of the squad for a long run in the top flight after two seasons in Segunda.

If you had told me at the beginning of the season that the team would have 21 points and be in 14th or 15th place, 6 points clear of relegation with a fighting chance to stay up, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

31 points in 7th place, I'd say most Malaga fans wouldn't have dreamt this in their wildest dreams.

And they're doing it while playing some solid soccer, scoring goals by the bunches and revealing some talent in the likes of Eliseu, Baha, and Duda, for the rest of La Liga to see.

While there hasn't been much talk lately of the controversy surrounding last year's promotion (buying off Tenerife and Sevilla Atletico) and Real Sociedad's president still alleging that Malaga belongs in Segunda B, it will probably be a while before Malaga fans breathe easy and stand with their team to enjoy a long stay in Primera.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What do you mean in terms of buying off Tenerife?