Official Malaga CF thread (R)

Discussion in 'Andalucia' started by Malaga CF fan, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here is the match report from yesterdays game.

viva er beti manque lopera!

Er Pichi

Málaga 0-2 Real Madrid

MALAGA, December 11 (Primera Liga) - Real Madrid gave caretaker coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro an ideal Primera Liga debut with a solid victory at Malaga.

Goals from Sergio Ramos and Robinho in the first half - both players who were signed by Lopez Caro's predecessor Wanderley Luxemburgo who was sacked last week - provided the perfect antidote for Lopez Caro whose reign started with a defeat in a Champions League dead rubber at Olympiacos in midweek.

Real started well and after seven minutes Julio Baptista created the first chance for Ronaldo whose first-time shot was saved by Malaga keeper Francesc Arnau.

Real had a fright after 19 minutes when Salva Ballesta rose to head the ball into the net but it was disallowed because Salva had used his hand - he was cautioned for the offence.

The capital club took the lead after 34 minutes when Zinedine Zidane took a corner and Ramos rose to head the ball home.

Robinho then showed why he is so highly rated in his homeland Brazil when from well outside the Malaga penalty area in an inside right position he lofted the ball over keeper Francesc Arnau into the opposite corner.

The second half at the Rosaleda was far from one sided. Malaga came out for the second period with more vigour and a keen desire to force themselves back into the match.

Substitute Paco Esteban contributed to the effort when he came on after only 12 second half minutes.

After 55 minutes, Salva showed great technique in the box when he teed up an overhead kick for himself which, though on target, fell into the hands of Iker Casillas.

Six minutes later, a misplaced pass by Malaga fell at Zidane's feet in the centre of the pitch.

He immediately advanced with Real having a three to two advantage but he chose to shoot and watched his shot fly high and wide.

Real could have extended their lead after 65 minutes when Roberto Carlos had a go from outside the box. His first time shot beat Francesc Arnau but hit the bar and went out of play.

Next Malaga's Juan Rodriguez released the ball to a team mate but got the ball back after it was deflected off a Real player.

He forced his way into the box and was able to pull the ball back across goal, but the chance went begging.

Despite Malaga's increased effort, possession and chances after Madrid went two up, the cushion meant the visitors were never made to look too uncomfortable.

They held on for three points that will boost Lopez Caro in his bid to win the post on a permanent basis.

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Málaga 0-0 Villarreal

MALAGA, December 21 (Primera Liga) - Sebastian Viera saved a second-half penalty as Villarreal's remarkable year ended with a frustrating draw at Malaga.

Villarreal dominated possession at La Rosaleda but goalkeeper Viera needed to keep out Salva Ballesta's 57th-minute spot-kick to prevent only a second defeat in 13 games for the Yellow Submarines.

The home side, looking for their first victory in five outings, were also unfortunate to be denied another penalty when Richard Morales was brought down by Gonzalo Rodriguez.

Malaga then finished the stronger but Villarreal held firm to claim a point to avoid ending the year that has seen them reach the Champions League last 16 on a sour note.

Malaga, fresh from a bruising battle against Racing Santander that saw five red cards, also had the first real chance after just five minutes.

A defensive mix-up between Carlos Alcantara and Gonzalo presented Salva with a clear shot but he snatched at the ball and failed to hit the target.

Villarreal then began to assert themselves with Gonzalo heading wide a free-kick from Juan Riquelme, who also missed a chance after a fine ball from Jan Kromkamp.

Malaga goalkeeper Francesc Arnau then produced two fine saves in quick succession to keep out a powerful shot from Uruguay striker Diego Forlan and a left-footed effort from fit-again Antonio Guayre.

Manuel Pellegrini's side seemed in complete control but Malaga went close five minutes before the break when Alexis Ruano got in a shot that Viera saved.

The first penalty incident occurred four minutes into the second half when substitute Morales went down under the challenge of Gonzalo but the hosts did not complain and nothing was given.

However, the referee did point to the spot eight minutes later when Villarreal substitute Cesar Arzo caught Patricio Edgar in the box.

Salva shot low to the right but Viera managed to beat it out.

Malaga actually showed more invention after the introduction of Morales as a half-time replacement for Fernando Usero and it was they who had the better chances as the game petered out.

Twice more Viera was required to keep the home side at bay. Nacho had a good opportunity when he was fed by Edgar in the 74th minute but could not find a way past Viera.

Morales was also denied as he looked to snatch a winner with just four minutes remaining.

The Uruguayan did well to get on the end of a Vicente Valcarce cross but Viera was again up to the task.

The result was a fair one as despite having much less of the ball, Malaga were certainly the hungrier side after Morales injected fresh impetus up front.

It was still not a good day on the disciplinary front for Malaga, though, although they kept 11 players on the field this time.

Usero, Jesus Gamez, Edgar, Salva and Alexis all found their way into the referee's notebook.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlucky not to come away with the 3 points. I'm bummed, they need it and against good opposition like Villarreal, they could've used the confidence boost.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 signings over the Navidad.

Bovio and Gabriel both Brazilian midfielders. I know nothing about them, other than Bovio played last year for Fluminense.

Antonio Lopez from Sevilla. Hey Sevillanos, what can you tell me about this guy? I believe he's on loan, not fully owned by Malaga. He's a left middie, replacement for Duda (Portuguese player), who for some weird reason, rather than playing for Malaga and increasing his value in La Liga, is just sitting and waiting for his contract to expire. What an idiot!

5. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not familiar with Antonio Lopez, just been too busy following the club like a good Sevillista should. :eek:

I asked around. I was told he's pretty good but hurt a lot.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malaga got rid of their manager, Antonio Tapia and now sit at the bottom of the table. Manuel Hierro (brother to the famous Hierro of Real Madrid and Spanish NT fam and currently the Sporting Director of Malaga CF) is taking the reigns as manager, a move which to me says "We are going to be relegated. Better not spend any money on someone who might be able to salvage the season."

Needless to say, Tapia wasn't getting the job done and Malaga are now colista, and destined to stay there, I think. Hierro is not the answer and there is too much unrest on the roster to really right the ship. I just hope they can bounce back to Primera after going down. The club needs a major shakeup.

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Manuel Hierro got his side off to a good start in his managerial debut with the team:

Er Pichi

Málaga 2-1 Athletic Bilbao

MALAGA, February 4 (Primera Liga) - New Malaga coach Manuel Ruiz Hierro began his reign with a win as his struggling side took a small step towards Primera Liga survival at the expense of relegation rivals Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

Defender Carlos Litos had given the home side a first-half lead but the sides headed into the break level as Aritz Aduritz scored for Athletic.

Perez Nacho then saw red for Malaga before Salva Ballesta scored the crucial goal as the home side held on to take a valuable three points.

New coach Hierro stepped into the Malaga hot-seat after last weekend's defeat to Espanyol proved to be the final straw for Antonio Tapia.

Bilbao coach Javier Clemente had injury doubts over Aduritz but he recovered to feature after last weekend's victory over Getafe had seen his side creep above the relegation zone.

The home side had the first real chance as Patricio Edgar picked up a loose ball inside the area and fired a right-footed shot goalbound, but Bilbao keeper Inaki Lafuente was on hand to save after six minutes.

Lafuente was again called into action 15 minutes later saving from Pablo Counago after he was picked out by Antonio Lopez.

The home side's early dominance finally paid off after 31 minutes as Malaga's Portuguese defender Litos powerfully headed past Lafuente from Antonio Hidalgo's free-kick, giving the Bilbao keeper no chance from the edge of the six-yard box as his header dropped inside the near post.

The lead lasted just nine minutes when Francisco Yeste's high ball into the Malaga penalty area was headed back across goal by Fernando Llorente to give Aduritz the easiest of chances to level and he obliged with a simple header.

The second half began slowly as neither side took control and created a real opportunity in a tense match.

The first real chance of the half came as Bilbao midfielder Yeste's tame effort deflected onto the crossbar after the initial shot from the visitors looked to be causing little trouble.

Pablo Orbaiz tried an audacious effort after 66 minutes after spotting Malaga goalkeeper Francesc Arnau off his line but saw his lofted shot from the halfway line land on top of the net, narrowly missing the bar.

Two minutes of madness then almost cost Malaga as Nacho received his marching orders for a second bookable offence after 69 minutes having only been shown the first yellow card in the 67th minute.

But Malaga snatched the three points with 17 minutes left on the watch as Salva rose highest to meet Hidalgo's chipped free-kick from just outside the penalty area.

The result ended Malaga's run of nine games without a win and lifted the Boquerones to 17th in the league on 20 points, a point ahead of Bilbao who slip to 18th.

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bump that the team needed, and Manolo Hierro gave the team a two day break following the win. I'm hoping this is a harbinger of things to come, from the sound of the game report, the team certainly played better than they had in a couple of weeks. Athletic is not having a very good year either, so I'm not putting too much stock in this victory, other than as a precious 3 points that this team needed very badly.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this two months ago and I'm standing by it now. Start the fire sale, this team is going down. Disappointing. Malaga is the 6th largest city in Spain and deserves a Primera team. Unfortunately, the city is not wealthy and lacks an industrial/manufacturing base that could financially prop up this club. Lacking the money to really remain competitive, the only thing I think that can save this club is a wealthy new owner, someone who will actually invest at a loss to get this team winning again. I don't foresee that actually happening, unless I win a huge PowerBall jackpot here in the States (yes, I would buy the team then...)

This team has the longest current running tenure in Primera of all the Andalucian clubs (remember Sevilla and Betis were relegated in 2001, IIRC). Not to say they were the best, but they certainly accomplished a lot without the deeper pockets that their Andalucian rivals possess. This team made the quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup 3 years ago (losing to Boavista in a shootout - this after being only 2 minutes from moving to the quarterfinals before Boavista scored in the 89th minute), but 3 years of mismanagement since then has left the team where they are now. The move to name Hierro temporary manager was the final straw, the signal to everyone following the team that team management believes their fate is sealed and they can't remain competitive in Primera.

Sad. I still hope against hope that I'm wrong and Malaga saves themselves, but I'm not counting on it. Hopefully, Cadiz will pull it together and stay in Primera to keep Andalucia with 3 teams in Primera.

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Cadiz is on autopilot for relegation to Segunda. Huelva is in first place with 52 points and looks good heading into the final drive home. Jerez in Segunda was on top for so long and are doing their usual end of season swan dive, 6th place with 3 points out of third with a game at hand . Almeria still is in the hunt for a promotion slot to Primera one point out of third place and two out of second.

Viva Er Beti

Er Pichi

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I forgot about Recre, so it looks like Andalucia will keep at least 3 teams.

Small consolation if Malaga is indeed relegated.

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this Jan. 30 when Tapia was sacked and Manolo Hierro became manager.

Now it is a reality. Malaga, descendido. :(

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There will be a roster shakeup as you mentioned earlier, there will now be a going down to segunda sale of the players.

I never thought that Malaga would remain in Primera as long as they did after Dario Silva left several seasons ago.

Good luck in Segunda and hope to see you back in Primera in 2007-08.

Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!

Er Pichi

14. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope to see you back, but this time when you come up be a pain in Betis side, OK.;)

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the loss of Dario Silva was the straw that broke the camel's back. He was never the engine that drove this team, anyhow.

But each time a player showed value, Malaga could never do enough (and I don't think the club was willing) to keep them in the blue and white stripes.

It started with Catanha (who was almost Pichichi during Malaga's first season in Primera) who was let go to Celta the following year. Next, Dario Silva and Movilla, among others who were the core of the team were allowed to leave. Malaga either couldn't afford to keep them or wasn't willing to make it happen. They signed shaky players like Wanchope who didn't play well for the club.

I put this at the feet of the President and Manolo Hierro (General Manager). They were the ones who couldn't resolve issues with key players (like Duda this year, for example) and as a result, harmed the club, affected the results on the field, and created an atmosphere that completely lacked a winning formula. This team was destined to be relegated this season, only for the fact that the club needs a major shake up, both on the field, and in the directors' seats. A la calle con todos.

Saw an interesting factoid yesterday though. Malaga is the team that has been promoted and relegated more than any other team in La Liga (12 times) and only one other team in Europe (somewhere in Hungary, I think) has been promoted and relegated more. Yes, this team is probably destined to forever move up and down between Primera and Segunda, so I am hopeful that they will be able to be promoted next season.

By the way, Pichi. Betis has been promoted/relegated the 2nd most times, 9 times, in the history of La Liga.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, I would still rather support this team than live off the gravy train that Barcelona and Real Madrid supporters receive. They will never know the disappointment of being relegated, but they will never understand what it means to succeed without having every resource at their disposal.

This is why I support most of the lesser teams in La Liga and why I love QDog's sig line. Real Madrid-Barca may be the biggest rivalry in Spain, but I take more pleasure in the little teams beating the big boys (Malaga beat Barca 5-1 two seasons ago) than in 5 La Liga titles by either of the Big Two.

These teams play with heart, but you could see this year that Malaga's heart was lost (for multiple reasons), and it is the reason that they are now relegated to Segunda.

17. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopera's boys are going for double digits. If not this year, then next year will do.:)

18. Banham

Banham New Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Pre-season games

Hi!
    When Malaga CF has pre-season games? I'm coming to Spain for two weeks and would like to watch some football. I'm there 21.7.-4.8. Any games?
    B

19. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    argentinian gabriel schurrer has joined malaga. Hopefully he does well

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed that. Hoping for the same.

The big news is that ownership has changed hands and I do believe, for the better.

Who's the new owner, you say?

None other than former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz. Which by birth, makes team captain Fernando Sanz the proverbial heir to the throne. An interesting development for sure.

I'm actually thrilled about this, as I think the former President, Serafin Roldan, did an awful job of managing the players and being involved in the Malaga community. Too often, players were left unpaid, were treated poorly, and generally didn't want to play for the club. No wonder they were relegated under Roldan's watch.

This year may be different with Sanz in charge. Sure, Malaga will never approach the payroll or prestige of Real Madrid, but it helps that for once, Malaga will have a real success in charge of the club who can inspire the team towards a return to Primera.

His first task?

Sign more players.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/2a_division/malaga/es/desarrollo/675581.html

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
  23. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are actually the official colors of Malaga.

Here's the city's flag.

[​IMG]

So for folks in Spain familiary with the city of Malaga, the colors probably make sense. Given the new ownership and direction of the club, a little reference to the city is probably a good idea. They've never really had a consistent second jersey.

When I moved to Spain in 1999, it was maroon. For a couple of years before that, all they had was a blue and yellow striped jersey to complement the blue and white colors. Then in 2001 or 2002, they went all-black with their away kit through last season. A change was in order. This whole club needed a cleansing. I don't know if I dig the jersey, but at least it references the city and it's a change from last year. Last year is dead to me.

24. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Oh see I knew that about the Malaga flag (I'm half Andalusian I should know). Just that the jersey sure is interesting. I would have used a darker purple, tho.

25. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I agree that a darker purple and even a darker green would have looked a little better.

That picture link you posted, by the way, is the last game that Fernando Sanz played in a Malaga jersey before becoming President of the club.