OFFICIAL: Landon Donovon on Loan Game Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by bedmstr, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Franz Gruber

Franz Gruber New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i live in Germany and the general news about donovan in the german press is that he will be signed a contract with bayern. why do you guys can't ask for a player exchange and get a young player from the bayern youth in return?

2. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Give us Podolski since he is on his way out. We need to feed the Circus here.

3. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That would be a perfect fit for Cirque du LA. Bring in Podolski to contribute on the field and keep our revolving door big money rep alive, even if he doesn't want to be here, to play a 1/2 season or one season, then replace him with our next "Beckham" (and I don't mean a slow aging skilled wing player - I mean an exciting difference maker at the ticket window).

Seriously, as bad as all these moves could turn out for us, they do now have LA Galaxy tied to player transfers with Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern Munich. That certainly raises the team's profile, even if we can't seem to play a whole season or a whole game (both offense and defense). I can live with players leaving LA for big teams like this. Let's just make sure it's only our rejects that leave for the 2nd tier leagues of the world - I don't want to start seeing guys like Brandon McDonald and Alan Gordon going to play in Norway. If that happens you'll know it's time to get your Marta jersey.

4. chavenna_emma

chavenna_emma New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi there!
    News from Landon: He might play on Sunday instead of Miroslav Klose (irritations in his knee). FC Bayern Munich vs. BVB Dortmund.

Landon is doing good so far. Everyone is very satisfied with his play, the team players like him too. Very calm, very nice to everyone. We hope Landon is going to stay in Munich, as you know he is set for the Champions League match vs. Lissabon late February.

Bye
    Chavenna from Munich

5. chavenna_emma

chavenna_emma New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Poldi is going back to Cologne in summer. He never made it in Munich, unfortunately. He is a good player for the German team but stood under pressure when Luca Toni, Miro Klose and Franck Ribery scored. He wasn't even with the team at the training camp in Dubai.

6. Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the major league baseball style trade for a few minor leaguers here. Maybe it would work best if it were loans both ways? Thoughts?

7. Franz Gruber

Franz Gruber New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i think it would advantage both teams and the players involved in the exchange. the young german players could get experience and help your galaxy to become a team more than one or two superstar like beckham and donovan -which is a superstar in your league but a regular player here if he transfer.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    We will see what he is in your league.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, Chavenna.

Please keep us updated on Landon. I like to hear that the players like him.

By the way, I love your name. It's beautiful. :) It reminds me of my daughter's middle name: Chavela.

And welcome to you, too, Franz. I really like to hear the news from folks who are "over there" in the thick of things.

10. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ((BUMP))

Anyone else watching the Bayern game right now?
    Just waiting for our G Donovan to hopefully get into the game.

11. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan entering the game right now in the 73 minute!

12. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD just cam in for Luca Toni in the 72nd minute. Game tied 1-1.

13. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG they play classic oktoberfest beer drinking songs after they score goals in Germany!!!! Someone buy me a ticket!!! Id be in heaven!

14. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    so how did the game finish??

how did landon play?? he get involved much??

15. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play

LD came in and didn't look to lost. I think our boy has got to get 100x more aggressive in games, gotta run into space faster... and really not wilt in challenges from bigger guys.

LD had some nice passes, but Klose stole the show late on with (2) goals to wrap up the win for BM. I like the Ribery & LD combination but LD can learn from Ribery that they are essentially the same size and ribs really knows how to turn it on and off and handle himself against much bigger guys out there.

By the way... some one drop kick that twat Altintop. he is a complete dooche on the field, he kills the attack like raid kills roaches. DEAD!!!

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Play

Unlike most of his other appearances for Munich, I think Landon was rather annonomous today. He didn't play bad, but had minimal impact in his minutes.

I do wonder if Munich will step up to the plate and match MLS' valuation of Landon. I would think the league will want $15m. I can't see it happening.

I think the most likely thing is that we'll have both Landon and David back in early March. Not because Milan and Munich don't want them but because neither will be willing to match our valuation of the players.

I really think that's what's going to happen and it's not a good situation for any of the parties involved.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought he played very, very well out there - the best so far in his "real" games. His combination play was good, I thought, and his off-the-ball movement was excellent. I just look forward to the times when his teammates reward those runs. He took a good corner kick and I thought he tried to insert himself into the play, showing for the ball and coming back into midfield to try and do something.

But maybe my expectations for him are too low and I need to raise the bar in my evaluation of him.

But I do agree - I don't think Bayern Munich will pay what MLS is going to ask. I guess that's what negotiation is for.

18. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the second goal for Bayern, Landon was right there pressuring the defenders and they headed the ball right to Klose who easily converted.

The game was dragging 1-1 for a while. It felt like it would end like that until Donovan came in.

19. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Count me in too!!! Would love a nice Marzan, Hefe, or German Pils (or maybe I'll collect all three:p) while watching some good footie ball. Now that's living the High Life...

Yeah, I think LD made some good passes and good runs. However, for me he did look nervous and tense out there. I guess he knows his time is coming up so he looks like he is trying not to force it. I think over all I'd give him a 6.5 or a 7.0 for this game.

20. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would think that they would have made an offer for him already, since he is slated to be back in a short 1 month's time.

Does LD have the same loan scenario as DB in it's seems the proper length is 6 mos.?

I do agree that both of them returning could be disastrous for the clubhouse, but both are professional and will play through their own disappointment. If it comes to that.

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same situation as Beckham's. Landon is to return in one month, March 9th.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donovan's loan is through March 15, technically. But pretty much the same difference.

23. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read in LA Times sports section that AEG is saying Donovan WILL be back also. Lieweke said AEG granted both Beckhams and Donovans wishes to play abroad and have been very kind and supportive of them, doing both of the ma favor. Now they BOTH need to come back and perform well for the Galaxy.

24. Megasuperb

Megasuperb New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wish Landon stays put. He deserves to, to put it simply.