Official Koreans Abroad Thread Part X [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by 12th Warrior, Aug 23, 2013.

1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he supposedly had offers from J League & i seriously doubt the offer from Asteras, of which.. it required Jang to have a trial is better.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/07/20/0200000000AEN20170720009200315.html

zdrstvte repped this.
  2. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

3. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what's so great about Europa League? he has a better chance of being scouted by KFA & top Euro scouts if he is playing well in J League.

4. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    He should have gone to J-league if he got the offer. The state of Greek league doesn't seem to be good. I heard they don't pay wages on time too.

But in the positive note, I'm happy he found a team though.

5. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

For one, it has bigger exposure than the AFC Champions League.

A part of me also thinks that he wants to stay in Europe and is willing to make sacrifices now in order to get picked up by a decent European club in the future. He'll certainly get a lot of Euro TV exposure playing in matches against Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, or PAOK. Not to mention that the aforementioned clubs have crazy fans and it'll be a good experience for him to play in front of hostile crowds.

You can't knock the guy for trying to go the non-traditional route albeit as strange as it might be. Although there's no guarantee of playing time, I'm glad he got picked up by a club.

nmssis repped this.
  6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think very little of AFC Champions League so yea, I will agree. At the same time, it is such a pointless tournament that KFA or whomever shouldn't even bother paying attention to that tournament (i'm positive EU scouts don't give a F about the tournament).

Now, the 2nd bold part is where I think you and I disagree. The path to get picked up by decent Euro club in the future...

Anyways, it was his decision & I hope nothing but the best for him in the future.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    At the end of the day its his perceived probability to get there, and he might think its either more probable or close enough against other considerations like money. At the end of the day, I think its fairly marginal even if you are right... not like the gap in probability of latching on vs. say Belgium or something.

BUT I still wonder if he'd be going there if his agency didn't have some kinda deal going on with Asteras.

8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    fair enough but can't dispute being scouted by KFA for national team is greater in J League over Greek League. btw, who is his agent? i tried to search for his & Paik's agent but couldn't find it (transfermarkt is wrong)..

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nmssis and killaorca repped this.
  10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    PSH has a different agency cause he's not listed on their site (who were the ones posting JGH pic)

http://lgtfd.net/?page_id=2313

EDIT: I agree on KNT part. But given that he was ignored for U20 WC, KNT might not be his pressing concern.

takeuchi repped this.
  11. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    While I think that it wasn't the best move, I don't think other offers/chances would've been way better. It's a matter of taste I think. The best possible career plan would be to excell at Asteras and join Olympiakos one day, but for that he needs to develop really good.

12. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    There is a reason why it's a non-traditional route. Unlike J-League most, apart from Olympiacos, are financially unhealthy and have worse facilities. There's also 0 guarantee that he would even make it in their matchday squad as well.

Remember he's a guy who couldn't even get playing time for a U19 team. He needs a club which will develop him patiently, Greece definitely isn't the place to do that.

killaorca repped this.
  13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Joining Olympiakos is a tall order but I agress, that's the best bet if he wants to go to a better league. That or PAOK and maybe AEK Athen.

14. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
  15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I doubt that people will be spending that much time deciphering greek which is even hard via google translate.

16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

I mentioned that in my comment. Certainly there's no guarantee that he'll get playing time at either Asteras or a J-League club but it's my guess that he'll have more playing time at Asteras over any J-league club. I don't rate the Superleague that highly at all.

Point being is that he made a choice and we should only look forward. If he flops, I'm sure there's some lower Euro/J2/K-league club willing to pick up a Barca youth product. If he succeeds, offers from a better Euro club will be there.

zdrstvte repped this.
  17. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Well at least it gives me a reason to watch the Greek league...

18. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Maybe so. I wasn't suggesting that you rated Greek clubs highly, and you are right what's done is done. I just think if @takeuchi 's source is right, he made this choice just for the sake of staying in Europe whereas in JLeague or KLeague, teams would be more willing to help him transition from having played 0 competitive matches for who knows how long.

hanul21 and killaorca repped this.
  19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    speaking of TV exposure, i think J league > Greek League even in Europe... either through DAZN or Eurosport.

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its hard to imagine escaping Greek league without an intermediate step to CL/EL caliber team. If he gets there tho, I think the chances are better. But again, we're talking on margins and I'm amazed/curious as to whether there were offers in more heavily scouted markets.

hanul21 and killaorca repped this.
  21. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    CL.. EL won't do much (if any) for him unless he played for one of the big.. or well known teams.

22. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    Some of you guys live in a purely fan "bubble". At the end of the day he's still playing football for a living, what difference does it make how famous he gets or that he plays in a top league. It's all about enjoying your career and making money.

When I was playing football at age 12 the entire team was stoked when we were playing tournaments and wanted to win every match. How much glory is there playing in front of basically your parents but you still had fun and took it seriously. Imagine getting paid, if you told me I could retire at age 35ish w/ a healthy retirement/savings I would leave my "glorious" desk job today and start kissing the ground.

Again, most professional footballers don't make millions, but if you make $500k for 15 years, get a standard $1,500/month apartment like most 20 year olds, take half away for taxes/food/rent/etc.
    Take your earnings and put into a safe, boring stock portfolio and make a little interest every year, by the time your retired, live off the savings/interest plus w/e pension-retirement fund the league had.

95% of people would leave their "business" job for that scenario. And those are the so called "failures/disappointments". I know very few footballers think like this so they'll be broke, but I would gladly trade my desk job for the greek league today.

nmssis repped this.
  23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    greek teams don't pay salary on time but ok.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thats my point. Its that the big greek clubs are a better path than j league. But much harder to discern for smaller Greek clubs.

25. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #3050 takeuchi, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Even if he plays for one of the big greek club, it is going to require him to play in CL... EL isn't enough. Also, we're talking about a decimated league... doing more to sell players to outside of big EU leagues for money (such as to Turkey, Russia, China, Mexico, and ME).

edit - another issue, hardly any movement within the league. the chance for JGH to be purchased by Olympiakos is extremely slim, of which.. imo, it is the only club where the path is better compared to J league (w/ few KNT caps along the way).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/super-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GR1/saison_id/2017