Official Junior Youth (U17) Japanese NT Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Sep 7, 2011.

1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol at nishikawa getting stick despite clowning the european champions' defense repeatedly. his alleged lack of industry didn't seem to hurt japan's overall intensity.

2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Japan's performance was good but imo the Dutch didn't seem to put in much of an effort as well, a few of them were strolling. Also, they didn't bring a few of their starters iirc. European countries in recent hrs have prioritised Uefa youth tournaments over FIFA.

Nevertheless, Japan still deserved some praise for their performance. Maybe they could even win this tournament if luck goes their way.

Nevertheless,

3. riyadmahrez

riyadmahrez New Member

ajax, Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Oct 29, 2019
    I am from holland, i didnt know “european” countries prioritised uefa youth tournaments over fifa. Very curious where you got that from. Also they miss brobbey and ihattaren due to injury and personal reasons, not because of choice. I believe someone mentioned Japan also didnt field their best 11, so these things happen.

Japan deserves all the praise. They have very talented players and had a great performance. Excuses like not really trying and missing players are weak.

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think he did well, but not so much as you're crediting him, to be honest. Several things he did left to be desired and I'm not referring to the finishing. I'm wondering if he's really a forward honestly.
    Wakatsuki on another note, was absolutely insane. I was surprised to see him starting for Toyama but honestly, he seems even better...

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    a link to japan usa please

6. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    This referee need to fecking put out some yellow cards.

The team is definitely miss Nishikawa.

7. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wakatsuki creating chances by himself. Best offensive player on the field today.

Still disappointing performance. USA was not very good.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    They wouldn't get the ball to him enough so he simply took it ... what a revelation he's been.
    Completely overshadows Nishikawa who looks painstakingly slow.

9. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Nishikawa needs to step up his intensity when necessary, need to cut out his occasional strolling during matches. He needs to make decisions quicker.

10. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    It's not about being aware of something, it's about being capable of doing it ...

11. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    tonight is an important game against senegal. I hope there will be links to see it!

KAPIJXM repped this.
  12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Late comment to the USA - Japan game but I absolutely enjoyed the CBs performance - and Wakatsuki as usual.
    Football-wise, for me it's the best U17 since a good while, and I had already enjoyed greatly the previous WC.

13. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    For me the best Japan’s U-17 team at WC level is 2011.

This generation seems very good, but they seemed out of clues against USA, let’s have a look at the remaining matches to see if they can eclipse the 2011 team.

14. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Toyama in place of Nishikawa totally ruined the first half and much more.
    Nishikawa then came in and had 3 shots on target even if he did worst than the previous match.
    When Japan had ball possession USA defended with 11 men: they were aware of Japan's strength after watching the Netherlands match and they never left open space to Japan as Netherlands CBs did.
    Anyway their extreme tiki-taka is very enjoyable (especially the great job by the CBs), let's see if it will works against Senegal overage team (lol) to figures out where this team will arrive in the tournament.

15. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    After South Korea’s 2-1 win against Chile, Japan is assured of qualification to the last 16, regardless of the result of their match against Senegal.

Japan can finish first, second, or third of group D. The only way to finish first is to win against Senegal, while a draw or lose will mean Japan will finish either second or third.

Here are the possible opponents in the last 16:

1- If Japan finish first of their group they will meet the 3rd place team from one of the following groups : group B (Australia), group E (most probably Tajikistan), group F (most probably Mexico or Paraguay).

2- If Japan finish second, then they will meet the 1st place team from group E (either Spain or Argentina).

3- If Japan finish third, they will meet the 1st place team from group B (Nigeria).

——————————————

Finishing first will not only mean Japan will have an easier opponent (at least on paper) in the last 16, but it will mean that they will be in the easier bracket leading to the semifinals.
    They will meet the winner from Angola vs South Korea in the quarterfinals, and then they will most probably face off against either Nigeria, Italy, or Argentina in the semifinals.

While finishing third will see Japan in the same bracket, but they have to face Nigeria in the last 16, and then either Italy or Argentina in the quarterfinals.

Finishing second will not only mean that Japan will play the winner from Spain/Argentina group, but they will be in the same bracket alongside Brazil and France.
    Just Imagine: Spain in the last 16, France in the quarterfinals, and Brazil in the semifinals!
    This will be a much tougher bracket on paper, but Japan has to fear no opponent and play their best, and who knows, perhaps what looks like the easier opponent on paper will turn into the harder, and what looks like the harder will turn into the easier.

I still remember when Japan got Turkey in the 2002 WC last 16, and South Korea got Italy. Me and many others expected that Japan has better chances than South Korea to progress to the quarterfinals, based on the assumption that Turkey is easier than Italy on papers. Well, we all know how it turned out.

Anyway, let’s wish Japan good luck, and enjoy watching the new generation of Japanese players in this U-17 for at least 2 further games (I hope more of course;)).

16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Both Nishikawa and Wakatsuki are rested against Senegal and will be on the bench tonight.

Starting line-up:

GK: Z. Suzuki.
    DF: Murakami - K. Suzuki - Handa - S. Nakano.
    MF: Tanaka - Yamaguchi - Tamura - Sumi.
    FW: K. Nakano - Toyama.

17. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As far as I remember, there wasn't a single shot on target by Nishikawa but I could be wrong.
    Toyama kept shooting too much from far so his subbing was deserved, but Nishikawa didn't really do anything and lost several easy balls.

Today's lineup is strange. Several players rotated in midfield but Toyama seems the only forward... seems strange however to me that they are dropping the 4-4-2 so I'm curious to see who has been adapted as a second triker.

18. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    A LINK TO THE MATCH THANK YOU

19. riyadmahrez

riyadmahrez New Member

ajax, Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Oct 29, 2019
    I dont know why some guys on here harp on nishikawa. He seems to have genuine quality. As does his striker partner.

But japanese coaches sure like to rotate their players huh. I remember watching a youth tournament at ajax. The japanese team totally beat the ajax team with 3-0, second match they rest their star players and get beaten of the park. At the WC18 the coach did the same thing in the third group match i remember.

teioh repped this.
  20. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Nishikawa scored the winner against Senegal.
    In the 3 match he did 2 assists, 2 goals and he was the most threatening player vs USA.
    Imo MVP till now.

Anyway Senegal didn't deserve to win: for 90+ minutes they failed to stop the japanese mesmerizing tiki taka and run as headless chicken toward Z.Suzuki when in ball possession without any idea of what to do.

They played for a draw and they deserved the defeat.

The most irritating thing is that they start beating japanese players after Nishikawa scored, collecting 3 yellow cards in few minutes. And they deserved more.

USA did the same thing. I hope FIFA referees in the knock out stage will try to preserve the fairplay punishing any violent conduct, this is U17 football, not wrestling.

21. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, 0-1 (Nishikawa) and Japan 1st of the group.

22. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This team is pretty solid individually. Handa Riku-while he looking exhausted and give a turnover at dangerous condition later on-, Suzuki Kaito, and Murakami Yosuke was rock solid in and out of possession.

But as a team, this team conceding too much vertical pass that forcing our excellent CB made some last ditch challange-had to mention that this is the strength of Senegal DF-, while their success rate is admirably high, against a better opposition, the result could be much different.

We need to sort out this compactness problem quickly, before facing team like Argentina, Spain, or Brazil, while they were not particularly excellent at this tournament, could give us some trouble if we couldn't improve quickly.

Nishikawa is just a class, love his shoulder dummy, and Wakatsuki is a revelation, very strong with the ball at his feet. Our MF at the other hand needs to be more composed with their passing, yes vertical play is good, but they also need to think of risk management. Senegal had some threatening counter only for their attacking player crumbled at their own or being contained well by Handa and co.

But the one that i am happy with this generation, they are much stronger than their predecessor at one on one situation. Even our MF, Tanaka and Fujita is pretty solid when carrying the ball.

23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, this was a rather underwhelming display but I guess it was to be expected with several changes involved. Tempo was vey low, Toyama was very disappointing today, and Nakano should play on the side and not as second striker.
    I hope Handa manages some rest because we absolutely need him.
    Nishikawa scored an excellent goal and as usual had also his shares of bad touches. Both he and Fujita seem kinda Jekyll and Hyde.

The next opponent will be either Mexico or Paraguay

24. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    4 goals scored with 0 conceded. topping the group against countries with strong youth programs. very impressive.