Official I Hate Cincinnati FC Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You are a treasure.
    :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Columbus is Paris?

Cincinnati, because of the landscape, presents itself as a far more attractive city than Columbus as you approach and drive through the place.

ZipSix, Robbo Crewfan and chr1st repped this.
  3. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And I'd add Cincinnati has done a better job IMO of preserving green space than Columbus. Cincinnati has a number of large parks in the midst of it's older/urban area, including one that's 1459 acres of mostly woods on rolling hills with well marked trails (including the most fun & challenging disc golf course I've ever seen).
    Most of the time when I drive into Cincinnati, I go by this park (it is on both sides of I-74), or if I go in via KY I get to see downtown on the Ohio River from above on 71/75.
    Either way, it's a much different experience than when I come into Columbus on either 70 or 71 from the west or south...

Yes, Columbus has some nice parks; but IMO the difference is the larger ones are out the suburban areas, where they are nice, but not quite as cool as finding a 1400+ acre park at the edge of a neighborhood with 100+ year old houses, or parks with woods/trails that overlook downtown &/or one or more of the rivers.

I'm with Minnman. Columbus has a lot of good things going for it that are better than a lot of other similar sized cities, but scenery isn't really one of them.

And remember, there are Crew fans that still live there... so be careful about hating on all its residents.

ZipSix and Minnman repped this.
  4. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    This looks like a city from a post Soviet country.
    [​IMG]

porchlight repped this.
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What's worse, a thread goes off topic or a thread that goes 180 degrees from it's intended course?

Flyer Fan and jack sticker repped this.
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You ain't seen nothin' until you've gone up 271 from Bedford through Mayfield Heights. Some architect in Cleveland's east side suburbs in the 60s saw Soviet/East German Brutalism and said "Halte mein Bier, bitte."

7. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I just did a quick google mapview check. Part of me died inside.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's really just the tri-wing apartment buildings, and Google doesn't do them justice. In the dead of winter, getting off at Mayfield Road, you pass by The Drake Apartments. Sounds fancy, right? No. If it weren't for the fact that there's a shopping center nearby, you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Arkhangelsk.

Ueberjames repped this.
  9. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I read a few reviews and got a laugh out of it.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    But you can make a left at Mayfield Rd and go to Ferrera's, a fine fine establishment.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I spent as little time up there as possible in my 3.5 years up there. Microcenter was about it outside of work.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Shame on you. It's a bigger, better version of DaViti's and makes the trips to Hillcrest worth while.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dude...I didn't want to be there any longer than absolutely necessary. Even though it was only 50 minutes each way, the drive was soul crushing.

14. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in East Berlin a few years after the Berlin Wall came down and there were parts that definitely had that "East Side of Cleveland" look. The Palace of The Republic, which housed the East German legislature, looked a lot like some of the corporate headquarters on 271.

Palast_der_Republik_DDR_1977.jpg

After reunification, it was closed due to all the asbestos used in construction and eventually torn down.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not nearly as many Trabants in Cleveland, though.

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You say that...

jack sticker repped this.
  17. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    jloflin03.jpg
    its awesome here in Paris!!

ZipSix repped this.
  18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a more professional version of what's the Crew has had with the CW in recent years. The slightly expanded broadcast window is nice enough. But the thing that jumped out at me was noting that their broadcasters would travel to away matches. New Crew ownership simply has to do this. Dwight and Neil in a Columbus studio for away matches is so minor league.

By the way, I have to assume that the "10 camera angles" line is mostly bullshit spin. Doesn't MLS produce the video feeds for all matches?

19. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dwight or Neil hopefully. The recent dual play by play no color broadcasts have been decidedly awful.

Ten cameras gives the director a lot of opportunity for useless closeups during the action. They have them so feel the need to use them, all the damn time. Oh well.

I totally agree on the amateur hour studio commentary for road games. Combined with the fact that they couldn't do a single broadcast without some kind of technical issue, it's a miracle anyone watched.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwight is the head coach at Wittenberg.

Don’t know if there are too many scheduling conflicts for him to travel with the Crew to sway matches.

22. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    If Dwight can sway matches, the team needs to buy out his Wittenberg contract!

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. Looks like it would be a two month direct conflict, from late August to late October, with obviously not every weekend being a conflict.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a beautiful picture, actually. Does Columbus have "no-go" suburbs in which the police dare not enter?