Official I Hate Cincinnati FC Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 3, 2019.

1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmmm. McRib.........

upload_2019-1-10_16-5-59.jpeg

Robbiegoal and Kryptonite repped this.
  2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did it really? It closed?
    That just proves that the Montgomery Inn is a Cincinnati thing, not an upper-middle-class thing.
    I've only ever had their sauce. No qualms.

3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #78 TKyle, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    It is not wax. They are large, delightfully textured, chunks of dark chocolate in the best non-seasonal ice cream Graeter's produces.
    Now, go pick on something else Cincinnatian. Like Hudepohl.

Well played, good Sirs!

Minnman repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Iced wax?

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    TKyle who doesn't understand the point of this thread KHT

[​IMG]

Hatable Cincinnati things

Draghignazzo and TKyle repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is incorrect.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is false.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Yes. It lasted a few years, I think, but I never saw the parking lot very crowded. They might have been slightly ahead of their time, with the Bridge Park redevelopment happening basically right next door now, though they'd face competition from all the restaurants settling in there.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    How is overcooked meat with seasoning salt ahead of their time?

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I just meant location-wise. That area today in no way resembles that area when Montgomery Inn was open.

Quality-wise? Yeah, they might have been found out eventually.

11. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marty Brennaman is the best thing about Cincinnati. I moved to the Dayton area in 1975, just in time for the Big Red Machine, and have been listening to him since. The strikes completely killed my passion for baseball, but I still listen to games when he calls them.

The rest of the town? Rhiengeist Brewery is really cool and worth a side trip. Everything else is Marge Schott and Mike Brown eternally competing to be the worst owners in sports. Yes, Precourt, even you have a long way to go.

13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Please reread the thread title and edit your disgusting post appropriately.

porchlight and jack sticker repped this.
  14. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a Reds fan just as long, and Marty and Thom Brenneman have almost totally soured me on baseball. Marty was great when Joe Nuxhall was still around, because Joe would keep him in check. But since then, he has become a grumpy old man who spends his time complaining when a game goes extra innings because it will mess up his tee time in the morning, or how Joey Votto walks too much and doesn't get enough RBI (which requires people actually get on base in front him), even though he's probably the best pure hitter in a generation. Thom Brenneman is a moron who should stick to football. And I don't really give a crap about what ribs or UDF sundaes the Cowboy's been eating. The only Reds broadcaster who is actually good at his job is Chris Welsh. Pair Welsh with someone who is actually interested in calling a game of baseball and you'd have a winning combination.

Robbo Crewfan and TKyle repped this.
  15. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    "Brewery" is nifty. Nice rooftop bar and a cool open warehouse of hangs in a seemingly sketchy building. Too bad I'd rather drink week old racoon piss than 95% of their beers.

porchlight repped this.
  16. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FC KFC...talking smack on Twitter..Sweep and Weep in your future. They killed that Gorilla too. Was it Humbug?

jack sticker repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk that they wanna sign Caleb Stanko from Freiburg, and make him a TAM player lol. Dude has 6 Bundesliga appearances in 6 years... seems like money well spent.

Tobias C repped this.
  18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinegeist is a pretty interesting story, and whatever one may think of their beers (I hate the confusing naming convention, but their beers are decent, IMHO), they're an amazing success story. Most craft breweries seem to be started by brewers/homebrewers who may be great at making beer, but often lack skills in running a business. Rhinegeist was founded by a small business entrepreneur (a guy named Bob Bonder) around a tight business plan (those Mercedes-Benz delivery vans were chosen on purpose, for example; all part of the marketing plan), who eventually built up a larger team (some of whom knew the craft brewing industry). You don't go from a small start-up in 2013 to being the 33rd largest craft brewer in the country today simply because you make decent beer. They've recently gotten into shipping, partnering with Sam Adams, which has a large brewery in Cincinnati; they have semis that deliver Rhinegeist beer to the Boston market, then turn around and ship empty Sam Adams kegs back to Cincinnati. Smart people.

But I digress...

When I first moved to Ohio, one thing that was evident is that this state take ice cream very seriously. I agree, Greater's is excellent stuff. But we know a thing or two about ice cream in Columbus, too. And Jeni was a very visible part of the #STC movement in the early days. This rivalry needs a piece of hardware to fight over. Maybe something ice cream related: A "massive" ice cream scoop or antique ice cream churner "cup."

TKyle and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  19. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    I will consistently give props to the way Rhinegeist is ran. But their marketing campaign will always outshine the quality of their brews. What they have done works, and that is why many of my colleagues that I worked with in the bar/restaurant industry dislike them even more. Their idea to basically make a new beer every week so that people "have to try it!" is genius. The problem is that it is literally the same base beer with a different additive. Over and over again. At my old restaurant down there, our head bartender and I made a game. We stockpiled kegs of various pale ales (99% of what they make) until we had the ability to put 6 of them on tap at once. Our beer flights held 6 glasses. We would pour each of the 6 and write down which is which. If the customer could correctly name all 6, we would comp the flight. Not a single person out of the 8 or 9 people were able to do it. Their beer rep even mixed two of them up.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're literally wrong.

They brew lagers and ales, barrel aged beers, fruit ales. No one's going to confuse the robust porter I had last weekend with a pale ale. They make a coffee stout, more than one German festbier, a hereweizen. sour beers. I tried their new Belgian golden ale on draft last week; it was pretty solid. I see their British mild (3.8% abv) is supposed to be a year-round beer for them, but I rarely see it. I had it on draft once, and it was delicious.

A lot of pales ales taste alike, you say? Well, no shit Sherlock.

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    No, it is not. It is average at best.

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, as we know, opinions are like assholes.

My family always preferred Denise's in Clintonville. But the owner had a stroke and had to shut down. My daughter still complains about that.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Graeter's is meh.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    On a good day.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Handel's, Strickland's, New Baltimore...

All different for different use cases and/or moods.

puttputtfc repped this.