Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. First, because those rosters will be from the January camp which is MLS heavy. Second, because having Trapp and Zardes will help Berhalter fast track his system.

2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He likes Eggs and Ham?

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many threads in many places are our jokes.

HomietheClown and russ repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The chicken is involved but the pig... the pig is committed.

TOAzer repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Our talent compared our top competition is far lower than crew vs rest of MLS.

For example, his core player that we are pining for could never make the Argentina national team.

6. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Technically Coach Vacant got the US qualified for the 2026 World Cup.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes, in many games it will be more like Hammarby than the Crew. Mexico will not bunker, of course, but no MLS team plays like Mexico that I can think of. Everyone gets hung up about playing Germany or Spain in the World Cup, but we have an entirely different experience in CONCACAF.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Fair enough Patrick but developing a team style that will win vs. CONCACAF but fail vs. better teams is a losing proposition in my mind. The same strategy that will work vs. elite teams should also work vs. CONCACAF opponents as we should have better or equivalent talent to any other team in our region.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think it is an either or. If anything the Crew showed the ability to play up to competition. So, I think we agree and GB is on the same page. He believes he will be giving the team a base to work off of. It can then be tweaked to go against minnows and giants.

I don't think the team has ever had a consistent system like Stewart and Berhalter are envisioning for a long time. Maybe ever. In 1994 we had a bunker. From 1995 to 2012 we had American coaches from the NCAA game. Then we had a German/Austrian staff that I'm not sure ever tried to do more than put our best players on the field with a lot of motivation (when the talent dipped, this approach was in trouble). Then back to two NCAA/MLS guys who tended to change things every few months if not weeks in an attempt to match up with opponents rather than play to our strengths.

While we can want a different base system, this is what Stewart wants and I do trust him. The USMNT is going Dutch now and that is cool with my avatar at least ;)

DHC1 repped this.
  10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Wagner is American, and has more and better coaching experience than Berhalter. Just sayin'.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The way Dave smirks and shakes his head when asked about the NT job tells me all I need to know. He's happy where he is. He may even survive another season in the first division.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  12. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to avoid the nepotism angle:

the big plus I see to Berhalter is that he has excellent familiarity of the M.L.S.-based U.S. player pool, and that appears to be where he is looking to build from. Obviously, we've got Pulisic and a few others in Europe, but the reality is that we just don't have the depth of talent playing in Europe to be the team we want to be. (We may not have it in M.L.S. either.)

Still, I'm playing a hunch that U.S. soccer is saying that it is time we look more to M.L.S. They made this selection from the philosophical foundation that it can be best executed with a coach that knows the M.L.S. player pool.

Just my .02.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you getting 5 years from?

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it’s safe to say that Don Garber certainly feels that what’s good for MLS is what’s good for the USMNT.

russ repped this.
  15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the downturn in US Soccer this year had any ill effect on MLS this season? I truly don't know, and am not sure what metrics to judge that by, but it would be an interesting discussion. My hypothesis would be that oddly it might have helped MLS as soccer fans wouldn't have been nearly as distracted from club teams during a World Cup year without the US in the WC.

It certainly couldn't have helped attracting a ton of new fans to MLS that would have caught the bug during a possible deep US run at the World Cup which would have then bled over to MLS after the cup. But how much of that was countered by other factors?

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    MLS has been trumpeting their, "increased TV ratings" from last year. I think they are up a small percentage. If not for having two, maybe more, games as double headers with World Cup games, the ratings would be down. I believe one double header game drew 5-6X the usual MLS number.

If those games had been on following a USA World Cup game, going by 2014 ratings, you would have probably seen 10-20X viewership numbers and MLS ratings up substantially. Plus, you would have had 10-20 million people exposed to an MLS game as opposed to 1-2 million.

Fox also scaled way back on its coverage of the World Cup. There would have been much more hype and buzz about the World Cup, which would be general soccer buzz that would have led to more interest in soccer in the USA and MLS by default.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's dozens of Big Soccer posters who are quite familiar with our players across MLS and Europe. And not just current 1st teamers but most of our teen prospects.

Going forward most of our better prospects will be coming thru the foreign ranks so familiarity with overseas leagues/clubs will be important.

In general, familiarity with MLS is incredibly overstated. It's simply not that hard to do.

Funny thing is increasingly, familiarity with MLS equates to familiarity with foreign players as that's where all the DP/TAM money is going.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    You're mixing church and state here...MLS needs an MLS friendly coach not for the players, but for the $$$. MLS learned quickly under JK: either we control USSF or we lose money.

19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Don't know where he read it, just commenting on a constant in one arena that seems to be here now.

20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a very good chance that all of our starting 11 will be composed of players outside of MLS.

Who are we building with from MLS? Trapp? Bradley? Altidore? Reggie Cannon?

lol

Patrick167 and chad repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We need a pool of at least 20 players who should expect to receive meaningful playing time. MLS is vital to us.

You forgot Villafana and perhaps Carelton.

22. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely we need depth players, but BUILDING our vital pieces? Those are all Euro based players. Villafana is a a workhorse LB who is one of the most limited players in the pool, he's good to have, but I'm praying Robinson continues to grow as a player. Andrew Carleton barely played at all this year for Atlanta, even when they were up 4-0 he found only 161 minutes of playing time - no shot he is around the core of the NT right now.

Patrick167, TheHoustonHoyaFan and DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think i misunderstood your point. My bad.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What you guys are trying to sell would be a lot more attractive if most of our guys abroad weren't such total failures.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Seems to me like its a different strokes for different folks sort of thing. If you get a chance still young enough to be valuable to a big European club, take your chance. If you are a top player getting some prioritization, you'll most likely get better training than you'd get at home. If it doesn't work out, come back to MLS and build a career. If you don't get a golden opportunity young, go the Clint Dempsey route and become a dominant MLS player and then go abroad. I'm always happy to see our guys go to teams in Europe where they get time and do well, but I think we can get a bit desperate to just be in Europe. When guys have to go on multiple trials even when they cost pennies, for me the writing is on the wall. It's extremely easy to find examples of players taking different paths and still having solid careers and being very helpful to the national team. To pretend there is only one way, whichever way you personally favor, is absurd.

zhe fulano and Suyuntuy repped this.