Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm pretty sure nobody at CONCACAF is assigning the positions. That is either GB or ES and I'm sure GB has to sign off. There are only two scenarios that make sense:

1. An intern used the March roster as a starting point and GB didn't care because:
    A. He is going to play RB
    B. He didn't care to have it changed
    2. They listed him where he is going to play, defense.

I don't know why people just can't accept what has been the plan since the day GB interviewed for the job. Adams is going to play RB in a fluid formation.

2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Here's two questions for anyone that wants to play:
    1. who do you believe is in Berhalter's pool?
    2. Do you believe there are any not currently "in the pool" but under consideration? If so, who.

he made a statement a while ago saying there were something like 30-35 in the pool at the time (if I remember correctly). You do not have to name 30 to play. If you only have 13 on your list that you believe are on the list but are unsure about others that is fine...whatever you feel comfortable naming.

I'll try to put together my own list later.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I sure hope we dont have that debate. Trapp over Adam's is possibly the worst personnel decision we have ever had buy we saw how Arena was the only person who could slow CP by putting him out wide with a poor midfield.

CP is by a large margin our most dangerous attacker. I'd much rather him being able to find the ball and go at goal than depend on others to get him the ball so he can get to someone like zardes. CP has played centrally his whole career until breaking into Dortmunds first team. A young player with plenty of quality/experienced central midifelders.

I dont think any national team coach would put a limited player like Trapp in the middle of the field, but pretty sure Senegal and Egypt played with guys who played on the wing at their club as central attackers.

yurch10 and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    do you think he plays(ed) as a "regista"? I believe his primary unique skill/attribute is his ability to cover ground. i believe he is also very good as a passer and he moves and passes very well in combination with others through traffic but I don't see him as a player that sits back and plays a quasi pirlo role. I don't see that as a criticism.

5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal

I think you hit the nail on the head.

6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Most games are won or lost in the midfield. We have three young stars coming up who all play different roles and all of whom have played in the middle of the field. First step in building this team is to write Adams (6), Pulisic (10) and McKennie (8) in permanent ink to man the center of the park. Then, you work from there. Figure out who are your center backs (we've got several solid ones to pick from) and you've got your spine all worked out with the only weak link being that we don't really have a top class forward to complete it, but we cross our fingers that Jozy can placehold until Sargent is ready. Pick whichever wingers can actually show they are dangerous, slot in Yedlin or Cannon or someone a right back, shoehorn a left back from the mediocre choices available, flip a coin for Steffan or Horvath and you've got your 11. This is not rocket science. I think that's what I personally find annoying, acting like this is all so high-minded and difficult. It's only super complicated if you intentionally over-complicate things.

...................Sargent
    .........Boyd................Weah
    ............Pulisic..McKennie
    ...................Adams
    Robinson..Long..Brooks..Yedlin
    ...................Horvath

yurch10, bsky22 and wrench repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m not sure where you’re going with this. Would you prefer deep lying play-maker?

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither Adams, Trapp, or Bradley plays as registas so not sure why that is important.

The modern regista does not sit back, instead he moves around to be available to get on the ball and combine in tight spaces often with quick one-touch passes. Jorginho is the prototype modern regista.

Which one of {Adams, Trapp, and Bradley} plays most like Jorginho?

nobody and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    The "regista" terminology is pretty key and the reason that i have been putting it in quotes every time I write it. I do agree that Bradley and Trapp play the position completely different than I believe Adams would play it. When comparing the offensive responsibilities I think Bradley and Trapp are closer to what I think of as a "regista" than Adams. Adams is much more dynamic and would be more involved as a participant rather than just as a facilitator if that makes sense. I can see calling Bradley and Trapp a "regista" but it isn't a "perfect" term. I can't see Adams as a "regista". It seems like Berhalter wants the best of both worlds and he won't get it from Bradley or Trapp and he would get something different with Adams too because he has different characteristics offensively. (IMO)

10. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    My vote is on Adams never seeing that position ever, until MB owns the all-time cap record

yurch10 repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What is it that Trapp does that Adams is incapable of doing? Let’s put aside that he can do more and assume he plays the role exactly as Berhalter wants offensively. I assume we agree that Adams is a sizable upgrade defensively.

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think you are reading too much into what I say. I am simply saying that Adams plays completely differently (in my mind) than Trapp or Bradley. In and of itself that is neither good nor bad. I consider Adams to be a far superior player at this point in time which has nothing to do with style of play...which is what i am referring to.

If you disagree and believe they have similar styles but Adams is just better at it than that is fine too but I won't argue that one way or the other.

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that neither Trapp or Bradley are "play-makers". Higuain is the Crew's while Gio and now Pozuelo are the TFC play makers.

Trapp and Bradley offensively are strictly CMs who circulate the ball (metronomes). Count the number of assists and 2nd assists they have. Even Warshaw has recently commented on how long and how many touches Trapp takes on the ball.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    M1,

What I’m trying to understand that if Berhalter has a central role that he wants played that neither Trapp nor Adams plays for their club team, what is it that makes Trapp better than Adams? Both are known as coach’s players so I’d assume that they will do what the coaches ask to the best of their ability.

Some poster believe that Trapp is a superior passer, for example.

15. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't see why Adams wouldn't be a coaches player either. I don't see either Trapp or Bradley as superior to Adams. Part (most?) of the issue is the perceived motivation behind the role (the rb/mid hybrid). Many feel it is/was created solely to benefit Trapp and Bradley. Others believe Berhalter is on to something and still another group believes Berhalter is wrong but his motives are genuine. Somebody, somewhere is probably right about what is going on....

I believe Berhalter sees something in Adams, Bradley and Trapp that he likes and I believe Adams' planned role is less about enabling Bradley or Trapp and more about the benefit it might bring to the team. I think he is wrong but am willing to wait and see. As far as Bradley and Trapp are concerned, I am convinced he sees something that I don't because if he saw the same thing I see, the team would be set up differently. Furthermore, I don't see any reason that Bradley or Trapp couldn't play in the same midfield as Adams, Pulisic, McKennie. It isn't an either or. The issue isn't Adams being moved to make room for Trapp and Bradley it is two or three separate issues. 1. where to play Adams and 2. whether or not to play Bradley/Trapp and3. whether or not to play the regista or whatever anyone wants to call that role. I am not saying that would be ideal...agan, I would play others over Bradley and Trapp. Right now we have less than a month to see how the first part of this soap opera turns out don't we?

ChrisSSBB and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What specific attributes does Trapp and Bradley have that make them better registas than Adams.

Here is an interesting comparison of long balls in 2019: Bradley (6.4), Trapp (4.4), Fernandinho (2.7), Jorginho (2.4), Adams (1.8).

Long balls are not a primary weapon of modern registas.

17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Excellent video. The two biggest problems with how Bradley plays in that spot are specific elements that video pointed out that Jorginho does very differently. First, and we heard Klinsmann try to get Bradley to do this but it never really worked; he does not retreat behind the defense. And second, he is not obsessed with being on the ball at all times. The combination of Bradley dropping too deep and spending too much time on the ball causes a lot of problems, basically making us ponderous and predictable.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this lineup a lot... Pretty sure Brooks and Yedlin are hurt though and I worry a bit about Yedlin defensively overall. Brooks is a fantastic back line general... he is a presence on CKs and has a very good deep pass... but he is not quick in the box when trying to prevent counter-attacks. Overall and in short, I still worry about our D as a whole and hope that one or two studs develop before 2022.

Most importantly, I think Tyler Adams is our best player overall and I want him in the position that gives him the most opportunities to touch the ball.

yurch10, TheHoustonHoyaFan and DHC1 repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ever think about the coincedence of Adams playing RB and CM in our friendlies and then going back to Germany and hurting his groin? It may be too much to ask of anyone no less a young player prone to groin pulls. Not that Adams has a history, just that younger players have groin issues when pushed too hard. I hope he gets a spot in the middle of the park and does what he does best.

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he cares because it sounds really cool and makes you sound really smart by using it and it doesn't matter if he knows what it means that isn't the point.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that is definitely one I have not thought about. While he did have a record number of touches in the friendly he played, he was released back to his club immediately after so did not play in second friendly. But, I have appreciation for the travel involved and the grind these guys go through for international matches, especially the Euro guys and believe it can play a factor in call-ups.

22. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Frankly, I am not a big fan of specific names for postions when modern soccer tends to go away from specific roles but because he was being referred to as a regista I used that and I used the definition of a regista that I believe is most similar to the way Trapp and especilally Bradley play it. In looking at the video you posted and another site i see the definition as being more dynamic than the old regista or deep lying playmaker. However, at least one site says that the regista rarely advances beyond midfileld (obviously in contrast to the video you posted) but so there seems to be debate over what is considered the role of a regista. https://offthecrossbar101.wordpress.com/2018/01/05/the-role-of-a-modern-day-regista/ Of course that isn't the only view of what a regista should be https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/world-class-registas-shine-russia-ss/5

I would prefer to say that Adams plays differently than Bradley or Trapp (different style, more dynamic, less of a play maker that sits back and pulls the strings and more of a player that drives the lane at times (to use a basketball term). Whlle I don't

I don't follow European soccer as much as you (I think that is an understatement) but I am pretty sure I remember you comparing Adams to Kante when others were criticizing Adams as not being good enough for the USMNT. I know you were right then about Adam's quality and I think that comparing him to Kante is a better fit than comparisons to Jorgihno. think we agree that Adams is a better player than Bradley or Trapp right now and will only get better...let's just leave it at that.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is all well and good and I can see where you and others are coming from.

Reality is though he is listed as a Defender on every website I go to including the official Gold Cup site. So more than likely he has been pigeonholed into the RB position and will probably start there.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    here's some excellent work by USS97531 on the youth squads:

who is it that you think Berhalter is relying on to lead the USMNT as the central playmaker in 2021 as the Hex starts?

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You think that is excellent analysis? The current u20 group is very weak? Relative to what?

I'll take Adams, Durkin, Cerrillo, and Servania. Can you remind me of a time when we had 4 U20 dmids of this level?