Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he's already got us qualified for the 2026 World Cup, so he's not doing that bad...

Guinho, Grumpy in LA, SCSAutism and 2 others repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there was a reason I liked you, I did my fellowship there. Heels!

bungadiri repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever, let's move on. All the complaining in the world just ain't going to change the reality. He's got a contract until end of 2022. Iffin he loses a couple like JK in the beginning of the later round of qualification (is it still the hex anymore?), he'll be out on his ear faster than you can say nepotism.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. But from what I read, Berhalter has a 1, 3, and 5 year plan for his teams, so I figure that he will take on some part of grooming younger players in camps or even in friendlies with an eye on the future. I don't think that's necessarily the same thing as youth development as it is more player specific, but I do see him looking to the future in some of his camp selections and roster management.

5. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love the use of a 5 year window to accomplish whatever it is you are espousing. Politicians do it and now coaches do it. He has a contract for 4 years. It's like if no progress in 3 1/2 and the end is near, his reply is "I told you I needed 5 years".

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Break out the periwinkle bed sheets already.

HomietheClown repped this.
  7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    think the "process" (and that is really stretching the meaning of that word) was hideous.

But...I hope 3Gs succeeds. He is now the new coach. So I can no linger post "Do we have a coach yet?"

Now we do, soooo.....Let's hope he does well.

OTH, in case he doesn't......just to be safe.....3 Gs RAUS!

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Jay: Egg, what's up? I hear you told mom to make the baked ham for christmas.
    Egg: That's right Jay, is there a problem?
    Jay: yeah, Egg, there's a big F*ucking problem. I told you, turkey and sweet potatoes or no job, biatch.
    Egg: Jay, you know pound for pound, ham can cover more calorie ground than turkey with a better fat content.
    Jay: Shut your hole, a deals a deal. I knew I should have hired Ramos, that guys all turkey, baby. You're fired eggy!

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck is this saying?

DHC1 repped this.
  10. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Gregg Berhalter will be replaced after one year by "El Pelado" Matías Almeyda.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It's a family thing. I just like the idea of the Berhalter's family christmas where they get into a fistfight and Jay fires him on friday and rehires him on monday.

That's how you run a successful operation, baby! Keep it in the family.

12. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is saying essentially the same thing as Klinsmann. Start out of the back and play offensively. Who says Berhalter can get the USMNT to do this? Neither the old or the new roster has been able to disorganize the opposition. Our midfield ("midblock") has sucked during the hex and after. What is Berhalter talking about?
    This sounds like wishful thinking. Oy.

juveeer, TheHoustonHoyaFan and SteelyTom repped this.
  13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I get that. But he did do it in Columbus. I know people are down on our player pool, for good reason, but we have better players than the Crew do. Higuain is good, but the rest of the team is terrible. Maybe, if the players are told a game plan and taught a game plan, they might be able to execute. I don't think that has ever been the case for a long time.

2in10 repped this.
  14. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The process stunk. I would encourage you, and all US fans, to set that aside. Everything I hear is that Berhalter is a well-respected coach and would have been on anyone’s short list.

@chad , Berhalter and team did factor into player selection. And it was no coincidence Wolff ended up as a guest assistant. But I am a big believer in Ed Catmull’s quote from Creativity INC. You give a great movie to a bad team, and you will end up with a bad movie. Sarachan, Williams, and team are junk. You could give those clowns France’s pool, and you would lose in the group phase of a World Cup.

Let us see what Berhalter can do. Not saying he was the “right” choice, and certainly not forgiving the people who crapped on the process (I have a particular disdain for Garber’s influence in it).

But Berhalter has his virtues. We will see if/how he can apply them with the US.

PS - my suspension of judgment goes out the window if Trapp continues to underwhelm and still prevents us seeing the McKennie + Adams dual CM we have been waiting to see.

Guinho, russ, bharreld and 7 others repped this.
  15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think we see Trapp start the first friendlies against Panama and CR?

I think he starts, but I'm worried about who we see that's older outside of, say, Altidore. Cause we need help at the ST position, but we can't waste time with MB.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Trapp or Bradley. Whether they start in March is the question.

Everyone should be back, why not. Jozy might not be healthy.

The interesting one is Nagbe. Parkhurst was probably talking about Nagbe when he said guys see it as a chore. He declined the last call up but wasn't really hurt. He has declined call ups in the past.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm willing to give everybody a shot under an actual coach. But time is of the essence at this point. Yes, that includes Trapp. No, it doesn't include the guys who failed in the cycle before.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we had a broken locker room that imploded in WCQ? How about that?

I'm not adverse to guys that fill in a position of need. For example, I think Besler's one of our most consistent performers. He'll be old by Qatar, but if you wanted someone to marshall a backline, you can't do much better. Jozy Altidore is young enough and has a ton of experience. Against CONCACAF opponents, particularly while we struggle with scoring? Get him in there. Villafana and Acosta were part of that team, but Villafana looks to still be in the mix at LB, and Acosta's relatively young, so no need to throw them out. Guzan would be a good 3rd GK, or step in a pinch if someone gets hurt and the choice is him or Jesse Gonzalez/Hamid.

But Bradley? Ream? Omar Gonzalez? Nagbe? Beasley? Zusi? I don't think we need those guys. Heck, I like Geoff Cameron a lot, and he's playing well for QPR right now, at CDM a position of weakness for us, but even him, I'm not sure I want him near this team. Whether or not he really is a bad egg, it's a risk.

This camp, I want to see younger MLS guys mixed with some older guys who we haven't seen much of. Say, Rowe, Agudelo, Ramirez, Dwyer, Altidore, etc. Those fringe MLS guys that never got minutes can get a shot here. Just avoid the guys that were the ringleaders of last cycle's collapse.

Guinho and HomietheClown repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought it was Powder blue.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hear Higuain wants to play for the USA. Maybe this seals the deal.

Seriously I am not stoked about this hire but I will give the guy a chance. The Gold Cup will be vital in my assessment of his coaching.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think if GB is as good a coach as Stewart and the rest of USSF thinks, he should be able to do it without having a 35 year old Argentinian make a switch and feature in our midfield until he is 37 or 39. That GB should be able to make it work by adapting. While we don't have a #10 like Higuain at the moment, we have a far superior winger than anything he had in Columbus, better passing CBs, better FBs, and a superior or like #6 and #8 and #9.

If GB is nothing without Higuain, he should not have been hired.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    aren't we still paying this guy?

[​IMG]

Suyuntuy and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is why I said "seriously" after I referenced Higuain.
    It was a joke.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Your "joke" is an entire thread around here somewhere haha

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    My jokes can be many threads in many places.