Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    #501 a_new_fan, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    go ahead and start a midfield of keaton parks/hyndman/julian green and let me know how that goes

if the kids want the spots they have to take them they shouldn't be handed them because some dude on a message board saw a gif of a pass and announced keaton parks the best passer in the entire american pool.

for the record people should be learning from the keaton parks an nycfc situation. that fake scout announced his greatness, said there were big clubs coming for him, then claimed a conspiracy at benfica keeping him out of the first team...then he gets loaned to nycfc in a league you think is magically terrible...still can't play.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Everyone just always goes to such extremes to "prove" a point.

Most reasonable fans agree that players should "earn it". But what have the recent call-ups done (the old Lions and the other MLS groupies) to earn it?

I agree that people clamor for the flavor of the week. And in many cases (and for many nat'l teams), it is useless.

At the same time, we missed the WC from CONCACAF and don't have anything to play for until 2022. So why not throw in some random young guys (who are in form, not Hyndman), rather than rolling it back with guys we've seen can't compete/qualify out of CONCACAF (Gonzalez, why?)?

It's disingenuous to talk about Parks/Hyndman, like anyone is calling for them to be involved now.

Instead of them, why not posit a group of MF's more recently talked about? I'd much rather have a MF of Morales, Adams, and Pomykal instead of MB/WT/Lovitz. I'd much rather see Dest at RB/Adams at Dmid, then Adams/MB.

It's obviously a mix of both extremes, but I would certainly lean towards moving young-ish. If guys flame out in their club careers (say if Dest stops progressing), then fine, move on to someone else.

adam tash, SteelyTom, gunnerfan7 and 2 others repped this.
  3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    old lions/mls groupies to earn it....they've played pretty well with their clubs.

because random young guys that we know aren't ready are still not ready random call ups isn't a good look. How do you justify a random player being called up because 'hey why not' over a guy playing well? That will get you in a terrible spot when wcq starts and you have no clue who ur best 23 are.

Also why don't the young guys or the random players have to earn it if the guys that have already been there have to?

4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    1117181815113097217 is not a valid tweet id

5. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Nice play, Mike.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's obviously under orders to make MLS USMNTers look good.

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I've been told the Old Lions have earned it by playing well for their clubs!

8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah...you do realize the pool is limited by the fact that they have to be american right lol.

on top of that watching matches and looking to gif a guys worst five seconds and putting in on a board to say he isn't good doesn't really do a lot.

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He is the reason why Johnson (indirectly), Morales (directly), and Canouse (directly) are not in this team. He dosent have to pick these teams but he can show some class and say he wants these players in the team because its about the USMNT not the old network.

BTW, Canouse has been keeping a Highly- sought after Durkin ( Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, etc.) on the bench for most games.

Why is Berhalter so afraid to allow Canouse to get game-time at the DM position?

Maybe the 2019 Gold Cup will be MB90's last foray with the USMNT. Fox is already planning his "saved" legacy by having Arena (daddy #2) and Donovan as studio analysts.

10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I assume you mean this in exactly the same way that Green was the reason that Donovan was left home in 2014?

the reality is that the coach made a decision to take 23 other players ahead of Johnson, Morales and Canouse. What were the reasons? I don't know but it isn't Bradley's responsibility to pick the team or try to pick the team and I think it is incredibly ironic that he is now being criticized for not doing something that he was accused of doing previously.

IF you believe that Bradley convinced Berhalter to leave those players, or any other players, off the team, than that is a legitimate complaint.

11. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    just like following the Jonathon Lewis excuse. Sit on the bench for an MLS team but be anointed as the new "super sub" for the MNT because you picked up on the new 3G system quicker then most?

bsky22 repped this.
  12. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    "old lions/mls groupies to earn it....they've played pretty well with their clubs."

love your 5 sec gif of how well MB is earning his automatic call-ups by playing such inspiring defense. That Roldan goal almost looks straight out of the Chile playbook. Roldan saw first hand how easy it is to get behind the "cone' defender called Capt MB and score

13. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    IMHO is has everything to do with Trapp being cemented into the top 23. MB can always play the #8 too, remember? That is his versatility to the MNT. Canouse and Trapp are sole 6's. If Adams won the starting #6, was named Capt. and Canouse played himself onto the MNT as the backup 6, what would happen to Trapp and Bradley? One is US-protected royalty and the other is part of 3Gs Crew3.

This is exactly why Zardes has had zero competition at the striker position to date.

SteelyTom, TheHoustonHoyaFan and yurch10 repped this.
  14. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    I do not believe MB has any vocal influence on the roster selection. Why should he? He has had the USSF higher-ups covering his ass for his entire career. Besides, I never see much of anything come out of MBs mouth. For a MNT Capt and team leader he has always seemed silent in that dept from where I sit.

The person that seems to be invisible but might also have a hand in player rosters is E. Stewart? or whatever his job is in shaping the MNT program?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Now I'm confused. Is it that the Lions have performed well for their club teams, or that they have to be american (ie. we don't have enough players)?

That gif isn't simply a poor error. That's a mistake/effort that would be embarrassing for a 12 year old.

adam tash repped this.
  16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Agree that he is not affecting the roster.
    Also agree that someone like Stewart could possibly be in Berhalter's ear. Whether he listens or not I don't know. relationships like that occur all the time in sports. It is pretty rare I think...and almost always end badly, when a player or players get into the role of picking the team.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Start the worst players you can think of, it'll end badly!"

Yikes. How about we start the players that are doing well, not the players that have shown they are not good enough and are on the downslope?

The eye should be towards younger players, not older ones. Because in a few years, our old guys may fizzle out and retire, while their chances of improving to be international-caliber players are small. The young guys aren't usually international caliber players right now either (Adams, CP, WM are exceptions), but the chances are much higher that they improve to become international-caliber players. And at that point, they'll have the international experience to be effective players in high-pressure international games/tournaments.

FormerNo10, btlove and bsky22 repped this.
  18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hating on LeBron James has got to stop.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old lions lost it when they lost in Cuova. They don't deserve to have penned-in spots.

The MLS nothing-burgers like Lovitz and Zardes don't deserve their spots either. They are there because they play in MLS or played for GGG at Columbus. As an FYI, Zardes and Lovitz are not "playing well". Zardes sits at 3 goals in 7 games, worse than, for example, soon-to-be-American Jesus Ferreira (who has 3 goals and 2 assists in 200 less minutes). Lovitz is part of (currently) the worst defense in the Eastern Conference.

What's the bar for the young guys to supplant the penned-in old lions? Do they need to go over to auto-start on a Bundesliga team like Adams in order to get minutes? Do they need to break the American transfer fee record like CP? Do they need to be a dual-national that we're afraid of losing?

FormerNo10 and btlove repped this.
  20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this isn't football manager/fifa and you don't build a team by just trying to find random dual nationals to be saviors or random young guys with no track record. The us isn't going to have guys without flaws get over it.

you can't call up a random group of 23 guys ever break and think you'll magically win matches when they count. decisions have to be made and some guy s aren't going to be included and that happens no matter who they coach is

21. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Are you accidentally replying in the wrong thread or something? You keep on arguing against points nobody is making.

The point is, some people want us to be testing in form young players instead of older players that are proven to be mediocre. Parks and Hyndman don’t match that description. Also nobody wants to bring in a new 23 each camp that’s stupid.

yurch10, majspike and FormerNo10 repped this.
  22. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    once again, totally disagree. How did you come up with 'random' dual nationals?

At this point I would pay money to watch a friendly between 3G GC starting XI vs the U23s. To me, this is a match that would expose a lot of weak areas/players on the Sr. team and also allow a few of the younger players to showcase that they are not only ready to be included in the Sr. team but it is embarrassing why they are not

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point it seemed like Klinsmann was selecting players based on the league they played in rather than their talent or performances.

Now the complaint is that Berhalter is selecting players based on the league they play in rather than their talent or performances.

24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #524 nobody, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    I have to admit that even though I have been unimpressed with Berhalter's call-ups, we really do have a pretty flat player pool with a few striking exceptions. Once you get past guys like Pulisic, Adams, Brooks, McKennie, at least a couple of whom people argue about still, the rest of the player pool is consistently mediocre, whether they are playing/riding the bench at a relegation struggler, getting decent time in a second division or playing regularly in MLS. I'm not saying Berhalter has gotten every call right. Guys like Lovitz, Baird and those struggling in MLS seem like bad choices and there is an argument to be made for a couple youngsters who ares till trying to break through. But mostly, the differences between calling in one decent but nothing special guy over another decent but nothing special guy isn't nearly as wide as it sounds when we all dig in with our arguments.

That's more or less why my bigger complaints are about how those few difference makers we do have are used. Getting the most out of the big 3-5 guys in the pool will always be more important than who fills the worker bee roles on the roster.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2014 WC starting XI against Belgium included Jones, Gonzo, Besler, Beasley, Bradley, Zusi and Bedoya, and would have included Altidore if fit. I don't think the US, or MLS, is worse off than it was for talent. But a lot of the current choices are young and inexperienced.