Official German "Nationalmannschaft" thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by F96, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great photos!!

2. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Ismael Considers German Switch
    9/2/2005 9:12:00 PM
    Bayern Munich defender Valerien Ismael has not ruled out the possibility of declaring for Germany - despite harbouring hopes that his native France will eventually cap him.

The 29-year-old told respected publication Kicker Sportmagazin that he would consider playing for his adopted country if asked.

"If Jürgen Klinsmann wants me, I’d play for Germany," said the former Werder Bremen player.

However, Ismael has denied that he is openly declaring for Germany. He told the official Bayern Munich Web site: "I’ve not been knocking on Klinsmann’s door and asking to play for Germany. That’s not true. There’s no reason to switch allegiance for now. If there was no chance at all for me with France, and Klinsmann believed I could help Germany win the World Cup, then I’d have to think about it."

German team manager Oliver Bierhoff has been equanimous, saying:

"Obviously we’re delighted to hear Ismael would be interested in playing for Germany. But the case is similar to that involving Lincoln, who we understand also would prefer to play for his country of birth." Bierhoff has already gone on record to state that the national team cannot be bought, something Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge agrees with. "You can’t just go out and buy a national side like you would at club level," said the Bayern boss. "The team should represent Germany."

With Schalke's Brazilian midfielder Lincoln also declaring an interest in playing for Germany, it is clear that personal ambition is rife in World Cup year for those who do not see a current route to the finals.

3. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Imo Owomoyela should get another chance, he made some terrific games for his club lately and was one of the few who didn't completely suck at Bratislava.

U21 EMQ vs England is on tonight btw, judging from their recent performances that will probably be a pleasant watch.

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Will Arne be back for the Wednesday match? That might limit Owo's chance. Althought I would feel more comfortable if Arne was in than Owo. :D

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Ballack will never be a true "leader". Doesn't have the cajones to say what he means.

Read on!

Germany captain Michael Ballack has criticised the fact that goalkeeper Oliver Kahn is missing from the squad for the current internationals.

Coach Jurgen Klinsmann's rotation system meant that the Bayern Munich custodian was left out of the squad for the matches against Slovakia and South Africa this week in order to give Arsenal's Jens Lehmann a chance to impress.

But Ballack feels that Kahn's presence is sorely missed as the team prepares for next year's World Cup.

"I don't want to pretend that it wouldn't be better for us all if Olli were here in the current situation," Ballack said after his team's disappointing 2-0 loss in Bratislava on Saturday.

"It's a shame that he's not here as especially youngsters in the squad look up to him and listen to what players like Olli have to say," Ballack added.

The Bayern Munich midfielder continued that he would be discussing the matter with Klinsmann but stressed that his comments should not be interpreted as him favouring Kahn over Lehmann in the race to stand between the posts at the World Cup.

****Memo to Herr Ballack: Dude, if you think Kahn will be the best for the team, say it and be heard. Don't all but say it and then pu$$yfoot around and say, "But this isn't what I really mean!" :mad:

7. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Maybe I'm speaking from a position of ignorance (I know more about the Scottish national team than the German one - maybe things are done differently there) but the captain's job is to be a leader on the pitch and of the squad given to him. Klinsmann is responsible otherwise.

8. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    well its not always easy leading a team full of youngsters without any support whatsoever.

9. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Just for fun, here's the team I would love to see playing for Germany at the World Cup in June next year:

------------Podolski-----------------Lauth

---Lahm-----------------Ballack-------------Schweinsteiger

----------------Frings-------------Ernst

--------Mertesacker-----Metzelder------Friedrich

--------------------------Kahn

I would prefer 3 defenders and 5 midfielders, because we have many good midfielders but lack too many good defenders, so it would be wise to rely more on your strenghts than your weaknesses and it did work pretty well at the last World Cup. Hopefully Metzelder, Lahm and Lauth will be back to form next June. Friedrich and Ernst I only named to fill up the ranks, wouldn't mind other players in these positions.

10. nippeserbock

nippeserbock New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    things are going ok. i hope all the testing of new players wont bite us in the butt. i think klinsi is doing the right thing.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't see the fascination with Lauth...I think that Germany doesn't need to have 2 rather dimunative strikers in the forefront. Lauth is much less of a targetman that Klose or Kuranyi. I'd like Lauth to be the 4th striker.

Here's what I want next year:

-------------Podolski--------------Klose----------------

Schweinsteiger----------------------------Deisler-------

-----------------Ballack--------------------------------

------------------------------Ernst---------------------

Lahm/Jansen-----Mertesacker-------Woerns-------Friedrich

I also disagree about Friedrich, and I may be biased because I'm an Hertha fan, but he might be the best defender in the German NT. Neither Woerns, Mertesacker, Sinkiewicz, Huth, Metzelder strike me very well. I think that Friedrich is a very assured defender and gets upfield fairly well (not as well as Lahm or Jansen). He's not the answer, of course, and he can't be a good CD, but as a RWB, I think he might be one of the best in Europe.

How many good true RBs are there? Cafu, Toure, Thuram, Sagnol, G. Neville, Paulo Ferreira? He's not better than these, but he could play in a very good team (like he almost did last year to Bayern).

12. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    If Metzelder continues regaining his form, I would prefer him to Woerns. I also wouldn't mind Kehl getting another chance with the team. I know the RB position is not a big worry for us, but another RB worth looking at again is Moritz Volz, who's played very well for Fulham so far this year. Having said all of this, this would be my team for 2006..

Starting Eleven:
    ------------------Podolski------Klose----------------------

-----Schweinsteiger------Ballack----Borowski---------------

--------------------------Ernst(Frings)---------------------

---Lahm*(Jansen)--Mertesacker--Metzelder**(Woerns)----Friedrich-----

-----------------------Hildebrand***-------------------

Subs:
    Hanke Sinkiewicz Jansen Woerns Volz Frings Deisler
    Kehl Kuranyi Kahn Weidenfeller Schneider

Fringe players..
    Kringe, Hinkel, Huth, Lauth, etc...

*Provided Lahm regains his form
    **Provided Metze's form keeps on improving
    ***Probably no chance in hell, but hey, that's why I'm not the coach! ;)

Jaison's nightmare squad for 2006 ;)

------------Brdaric--Bobic---Jancker--------

-------------------------------------------

---------Jeremies----Baumann-----Hamann---------

-----Linke----Nowotny---Rehmer-----Ziege-----

------------------Lehmann---------------

13. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ______________________klose
    _________podolski_______

schweini_________ballack________deisler
    ________________ernst

lahm___metzelder____mertesecker_freidrich

_______________timo

Subs: lauth, hanke, frings, borowski, kringe, hinkel, pander, owomoyela, jansen, schneider, sinkiewicz, huth, kahn

(is it a 25 man squad?) i havent given much thought to this, tbh...

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmm here goes:

Goalkeepers: 1. Kahn 12. Lehmann 23. Hildebrand

Defense: 2. Hinkel 3. Friedrich 4. Woerms 5. Metzelder 21. Lahm 17. Mertesacker 16. Jansen/Huth....can't decide

Midfield: 13. Ballack 7. Schweinsteiger 6. Hitzlsperger 8. Frings 15. Ernst
    18. Borrowski 19. Schneider 20. Deisler

Forwards: 10. Podolski 11. Klose 22. Kuranyi 14 Lauth

It's going to have to be a 23 man squad next year.

-------------Kahn----------
    Arne--Metze---Per----Lahm
    ----------Frings-----------
    Deisler------------Schweiny
    --------Ballack-------------
    ----------------Poldi------
    ---Klose-------------------

Hmmm...on second note, I'm not sure how compatible Mertesacker and Metzelder are as a center back pairing.....

15. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Crap.. forgot about Owomoyela! He's been playing quite well this year.. but it would be hard for me to choose between him and Volz for the bench.

@Scorpio..

I thought it was a 23 man squad. (I could be wrong though...)

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of "my guys", but I can't back him here. I think he has a point about Huth being selected over him, but as far as the rest goes, I think he should shut up.

=================

Dropped Worns Furious At Klinsmann

September 27, 2005

[​IMG]
    Woerns (Black Shirt) Moves Iran and Bayern Player Ali Karimi Off The Ball

DORTMUND, Germany (AFP) - Borussia Dortmund defender Christian Worns has launched a scathing attack on Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann for leaving him out of the 21-man squad for the country's next two friendly matches.

The 33-year-old Worns expected to be taking part against Turkey on October 8 and China four days later and was furious at not being include in the party.

"I always thought that it went on performances but that does not seem to be the case with me," fumed Worns. "At the moment I am speechless and do not know what it is all about."

Chelsea's Robert Huth returned to the squad despite being a peripheral player at club level and Worns refused to accept Klinsmann's claim that others were just ahead of him on current form.

"I can not accept that players, who are not even in the squad at club level, have the edge over me," said Worns. "I cannot let this situation rest."

Worns, capped 66 times by his country, had a poor game in a recent 2-2 draw with the Netherlands and many have cited this display as a reason for his omission.

"If that was the reason then Jurgen Klinsmann would not be allowed to invite any of the 11 players on the pitch that day," added Worns. "You cannot single someone out and say 'he is the guilty one'."

17. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I actually think he has a basis of argument here...he's been a more consistent defender than Metzelder.

But this shows the thinning of the CD of Germany. If Madlung played like he did against Koeln, he may have a chance as well, which, although I would be happy for him, would concern me alot.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the past three matches he hasn't. You guys are getting your wish. CMetz has been finding his form again.

That's true, but one of the reasons I think Woerns needs to shut up is that Klinsmann is obviously still experimenting. However, this outburst might persuade Klinsi to put Woerns' ass out to pasture for good.......

19. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ...then again, Madlung will probably be cursed with the fact that a lot of hertha fans and players say that he can make it in the NT...he'll probably get injured now. :mad:

I think that Metzelder more than anything now has to "lead" the German defense. A wingback like Friedrich should not lead a defense, it should come from a CD. He has shown good leadership skills before.

But we will look into these 2 games intently.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait and see. Hope he makes it.

Whoa!! Slow down brother!! Klinsi has to check to see if Metzelder is even in good enough form to stay with the team. Don't go hanging leadership expectations on him just yet!!!!!

Exactly. Let's watch the games and take them for what they are. Let's not pile on added expectations!

Let's remember these are friendlies and mean absolutely nothing.

Klinsi is still experimenting. Please don't expect Germany to go out and run everyone off the pitch.

Let's give the man the patience and leeway he needs.

21. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    You lot should go with Mertesacker and Metzelder with Freidrich and Lahm as the wingbacks. Huth does not deserve a NT call because he dosent play for his club team and is 4th choice at CB there. Maybe if he moved to another team in the January transfer window and plays then he deserves to be on the final 23 for '06.

Also why hasnt Volz played for the NT yet? He has been one of the best RB's in the EPL and can attack well. Freidrich is class but, Volz should at least be the #2 RB for Germany as he has played better this season than Owomoyela.

22. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right Back is one of the few positions of strength (the other is midfield) that Germany can claim. At RB they have a choice of Freidrich, Andreas Hinkel, and of course, Volz. All really good players.

The other strength, as I said, is midfield. There they have Ballack (one of the best players in the world), Frings (solid all around player), Schneider (highly skilled), Deisler (super talented if not reliable), Schweinsteiger (phenom stud who can play left, middle, and on the right, and is one of Germany's rising stars), Hitzelsperger (quality on the left and middle), Kehl (very good defensive mid), Ernst (who has become a BL star in the last few seasons and can play on the left or the middle), Borowski (solid as defensive mid or on the outside), and even Hamann (who is still quite good for Liverpool).

Germany's midfield matches up well with any midfield in the world.

Goalkeeping is solid, if not stellar, with Kahn and Lehmann.

Even the strike force is looking a bit more promising after years of extreme mediocrity with Poldolski's stock rising like a rocket, and Klose in solid form. Poldolski is a stud phenom, and one of Germany's rising stars.

Left back is good when Lahm is healthy, a big question mark if not. Lahm is a rising star, and fast and skilled and good on defense as well as attacking up the wing.

Center Back is a huge problem right now. Mertesacker is talented, and has great potential, but is very inexperienced. Huth is not getting first team club action, so he is not an option. Woerns is good, but a bit slow for the international level (and I sympathize with him for being disgruntled about Huth being ahead in the pecking order).

If CMetz can stay healthy and keep regaining his form and confidence, then it wil make all the difference in the world. A healthy, in form CMetz will turn a blaring weakness into a decent strength. CMetz is super talented, he's a very good althete, he's smart, his marking and tackling are excellent, he has good ball handling and passing skills, he is a leader, and he could be a good mentor for Mertesacker.

Actually, I think the two major keys for Germany to have success in 06 are CMetz and Lahm. Germany is solid in all areas except LB and CB. With healthy CMetz and Lahm, CB and LB have no worries.

23. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    more active scouting of Turkish players in Germany, as explained by Turkey's NT coach at http://fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,110228,00.html?articleid=110228

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huth is finally trying to do what Klinsmann told him to do months ago.
    I hope it happens and it works out for him.

Although, I think he'd be smarter to try to get loaned to an upper table or mid-table Bundesliga club.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Huth Could Make Loan Switch
    By James Pearson - Created on 13 Oct 2005

[​IMG]

Chelsea's out-of-favour defender Robert Huth could make a loan switch to Aston Villa in January to boost his chances of playing in the World Cup.

The young German defender is desperate to make Jurgen Klinsmann's squad next summer, but knows his chances are being hindered by lack of regular football.

Villa boss David O'Leary is a long-term admirer of the strong 21-year-old stopper and is keen to bolster his numbers at the back when the window reopens in the New Year.

Manchester City are also believed to be keen on the young Blues ace, however Villa are in the driving seat for his signature and are finalising a loan deal for his services.

Huth's agent Manfred Schulte has confirmed his client is open to a move to Villa, although he is still determined to force his way into Jose Mourinho's starting line-up.

"He is trying to break into the Chelsea team and at the same time he is trying to be in the national squad," explained Schulte.

"It is very difficult for him to achieve that and he will make up his mind before Christmas what he wants to do.

"He knows that he has to play regularly to be in the German squad and Villa are a big club. It would be a move that suits everyone."

+++++++++++++++++

25. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Oh come on, don't be such a Spassbremse!! ;)