Official Galaxy Youth Academy and Progress

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on who might be Brian's replacement?

2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he wasn’t in anyway responsible for Mexico’s u 20 team this current World Cup.

They were about the worst Mexican team I’ve ever seen at any age level.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    More info on Ortega.

TrickHog repped this.
  5. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m seeing really conflicting reports about this guy. Can any Mexican fans chime in?

He is apparently one of the architects of Mexican doing so well in youth tournaments a few years ago, but he’s also being blamed for this last cycle.

6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Brian might have been great at recognizing talent (between his time at Chivas and the Galaxy). However, Ortega can't be any worse than Brian in terms of keeping talented players with the organization.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FYP

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    To my knowledge he's bad news.

https://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/...ecciones-menores-una-historia-de-compadrazgos

Sorry it's not in English but this was posted on BSMX recently. Main takeaways are:

Yes he was a part of MX's youth success a few years ago but doubled down on his system even after the results weren't there anymore. All input was unwelcome.

He hand-picked several of the recent youth coaches (I'd assume that's part of his job), but most of them had close ties to him plus didn't have good resumes either in development or coaching.

Coaches seemed to be chosen for no other reason than being "Yes sir" type of people. He chooses the player pool, he chooses the tactics.

Sounds like a hardworking dude who's also stubborn, prone to micromanagement, and not particularly gifted or intelligent. I really can't think of a worse combination of traits.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If that stuff is true that's terrible news. That's the kind of "leadership" that can kill the spirit of an organization. A JK-lite, if you will.

73Bruin, TrickHog and Salmos repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks!!

Salmos repped this.
  11. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Another thing is Mexicans have a tendency to blame corruption for everything so I try not to do that when there are simpler explanations but this guy seems suspect as hell. I understand giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy who has had success but some of the facts here are enough to put someone under review despite how good or bad they are at their job. He was assigning positions in a borderline nepotistic way and it still took years of failures to sack him.

The entire time I read that all I could think was hold up wait a minute something ain't right.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the truth!

13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    A prospect who is originally from Alexandria, Virgina and then moved to Minnesota to go to boarding school and play DA is coming to the Galaxy Academy. I believe territorial restrictions have been lifted on MLS DAs, which means this kind of nationwide youth recruiting is going to become more common.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Juan Carlos Ortega, formerly of the Mexican Football Federation, named the new LA Galaxy Academy Director. Looks like a wholesale shakeup

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/...s-ortega-director-methodology-and-development

I know Harvey was pretty important in the Academy and he made some wholesale changes already for the B06 and possibly other teams. Some of those kids may find themselves caught in the middle with a change in coaches/philosophy

mbar, ProudNatRN, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our intrepid reporter thinks we are hiding something.

16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Hiding the fact that the DA has been getting killed by LAFC of late, especially in the younger to middle-age groups. The older age groups have been OK, but they have been pulling those kids up to the GIIs and even the first team, while LAFC doesn't have its own USL team.

mbar repped this.
  17. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Here's the official answer from the Galaxy's digital manager:

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice response that makes Baxter seem foolish in my opinion.

19. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He seems very anti-Galaxy lately. Hasn’t really tweeted much about the Pavon stuff either.

20. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The good news is DTK has gotten almost all of hurlings/signings right and has been quick to fix issues (the Klebian mess). So hopefully if this new Academy director isn’t doing a good job, DTK will handle the situation appropriately.

I think we’d have 0 faith in Chris Klein to do the same.

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    More changes at the Academy, although this one was known for awhile (since he was at practices)

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Turns out Sacha will be Academy Director, which is what he did with Chivas USA. If there is one thing Chivas did pretty well, was bring in talent. Many of LAG's top DA players came after Chivas USA's Academy closed shop (althougj that was partially because Munoz and the Kleibans came over)

TrickHog repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004