Official Galaxy Youth Academy and Progress

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That day I learned how competitive my Mens league is. We had a scuffel in the parking lot by our cars from opposing fans after the game.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the day and it's not even 1:00pm yet.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Somewhere SUM has a blacklist with more than a few names on it. That info would never come out because they’d get sued immediately. Guys like Peter Wilt, Johnny Moore and Hugo Perez will never earn another SUM paycheck. I suspect Kleiban just made that list.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My best men's league experience: Our Guatemalan right back got a red card. He was a little fiery guy and he wasn't going to have it. So he walked off the field in a huff, pulled off his right cleat and threw it into a nearby lake. He showed them!

TrickHog and FlapJack repped this.
  5. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just the right?

TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    73Bruin, ProudNatRN and WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched some of our U17 team at the Dallas Cup and Kobe Hernandez was by far one of our main standouts. I have no idea how to assess talent at that level or project the future but he sure did look dominant against his age group.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I really don't follow the Academy or G2, but I watches him play 2 games in the GA Cup and I was very impressed..

Taking the negative first, Kobi isn't that big. Right now he is smaller than AJDLG. He also lacks experience. That's it.

On the positive side, he already crosses better than any of the full backs and wingers except for Romaine. He was the Academy team's set piece taker. I was also impressed by his hustle and leadership. I believe it was late in the West Ham game and there was a bit of a tustle. He got in the middle and started forcefully shoving one of his teammates in the chest and out of the scrum.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get him to spell his first name correctly and we might have something there.

galvanator and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    People from MLS soccer that were at the tournament were saying he’d be an upgrade starting at LB right now. I don’t know how much of that is because skljkkskskkjkv is bad, or Cobi2 is really good. Cobi2 is really highly regarded in the US U17s, and is a pretty much a guaranteed starter. I’d like to see him get some more minutes at G2 this year. My guess is he signs a first team contract in the offseason.

WarGalaxy, Dr.Phil and TrickHog repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just leaving this here...

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for de kloese to get to work

TrickHog repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that meant to imply that Gary Kleiber is "representing" (i.e. telling our kids to leave MLS at all costs) another of our acadamy products?

Gee, I'm so shocked that DTK wasn't down with the Kleiber brothers and their decimation of our academy to pro pipeline from the inside.

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way I interpreted it, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not a Galaxy fan, but if I were I'd be saying good riddance to the Kleibans, too.

TrickHog repped this.
  16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Outside backs are soooo hard to find. If this kid is that good, we should lock him down soon.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And with the salary/TAM/DP structure, you really need to spend your big money on attacking talent, so if you can lock down affordable defenders and wide players from your academy, that's a big plus.

18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the team gets 100% of the transfer fee if sold

TrickHog repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cien raising the next gen

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Circle of life right there. :)

21. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hoping the U13s ball out and become a juggernaut. We could then awesome it’s because Cien is as good as a coach as he was a player. Have a good feeling there’d be no Klieban-esque drama with him.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Actually, that's not the word at all in Academy circles. Cien's ability to coach and develop has been questioned by many. He's loyal though, that's for sure.

And that picture includes about 6-7 very large kids who weren't on the team until quite recently. They've been losing ground to LAFC in many of the younger age groups and they're scrambling to reboot.

TrickHog repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Cien and hope he can contribute, but yeah we need to move along from just hiring past club legends and guys that are hanging around the stadium. Hopefully DtK really scours his rolodex for highly qualified and experienced professionals for these jobs.

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yikes. That’s not good. Hopefully he turns it around.

25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a much longer fantastic (seriously subscribe) Athletic article about DTK:

He also fired a heralded academy coach, Brian Kleiban, whose Galaxy under-19 team produced several top pro prospects. Kleiban had a clear conflict of interest, as his brother, Gary Kleiban, represented several Galaxy academy prospects as an agent. Multiple sources confirmed Sam Stejskal’s MLSsoccer.com report that two top prospects, Alex Mendez and Uly Llanez, had been advised by Gary Kleiban not to sign homegrown contracts with the Galaxy. Instead, those sources confirmed the accuracy of a Yahoo Sports report that the players had signed contracts in Germany worth less than $1,000 dollars per month. Gary Kleiban also represents Galaxy prospect Kobe Hernandez, a U.S. youth international.

Te Kloese wouldn’t comment on the specifics of the firing except to praise Brian Kleiban as a coach, but the issue was one Te Kloese clearly realized he had to remedy quickly. Te Kloese didn’t put the failure to sign Mendez and Llanez solely on the agent, however, pointing out that one of his goals as general manager was to ensure the Galaxy were providing a clear path to their first team for homegrown prospects, something that would make it easier to convince youngsters to stay in MLS.

(Small snippet of longer article)