Official Galaxy Youth Academy and Progress

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Any word on an academy director? Seems like that’s De Kloese’s next move besides kicking Gio out.

2. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I haven't seen/heard anything, but DTK has been in Orlando for the combine, so I'm guessing in the next 2-3 weeks we'll start to hear something's. I wonder if it will be someone DTK's worked with before. Maybe he someone he's hired/worked with at Tigres, Chivas, or FMF. Could also be someone from Argentina that GBS knows.

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Podcast with Brian Kleiban

https://scuffed.simplecast.fm/ffc4d4d7

On Araujo: good physically but needs to polish skills. Better at CB right now but RB is long-run position and should play there with the USL.

Kobe-Hernandez: High quality LB, national team level player

Dunbar: Winger, looked good in scrimmages against G2.

Getting Traore minutes at LB is priority (implying it might be hard for academy players to get minutes).

my note: you can see the quality coming at outside back which might explain the draft strategy, but I'm still not sure that they will provide depth this year.

5. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just finished listening as well. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Brian Kleiban also seems to think DTK has the knowledge and experience to help bridge the gap to the first team.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That clip captures both the good of what we are doing with youth development and the work we have yet to do. The positives were the composed, possession-oriented, quick-passing style of play, the side to side ball movement to utilize the entire width of the field. The result was a sweet 10 pass sequence that ends with a very nice layoff and finish. Negatives were some poor 1st touches and the ball watching by the forward after he made the layoff. That should be a standard pass and move play, not a pass and watch play.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1107637051011272704 is not a valid tweet id

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

73Bruin, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  12. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That seems very very odd. Must have been some sort of falling out. By all accounts Kleiban was doing a great job.

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah its awkward right? Kleiban certainly is developing great talent but then if its not staying with the team than what good is that doing us. Of course most of the reasons for that can't be laid at Kleiban's doorstep (MLS cheapness with homegrowns).

I'm most interested in the implied conflict of interest with his brother's activities in representing some of our players who went overseas. On its face that seems a big conflict of interest to me for the family. I can see DTK coming in and looking at that and saying that it wasn't acceptable. Just the optics of it is very bad even if nothing bad was going on.

BostonRed and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was thinking that too. I believe yesterday on Twitter Skejskal said he'd have his interview with DTK out later this week. I get the impression now that DTK investigated why Mendez and Llanez weren't given contracts. Maybe he found that Brian/Gary were telling Mendez/Llanez and their families that they could get them on a team in Germany.

The word "dismissed" to me implies there was some wrong doing.

skydog, MPNumber9, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    DtK wants to bring both boys back but their agent (one of the Kleiban brothers) is refusing.

Um, WTF???

Attached Files:

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're trying to bring these boys back (on loan I assume for playing time) and their agent (the brother of our academy coach) is working against it?

I mean this is why conflict of interest is as much about appearance as it is about what's actually happening. It's not healthy to even have to worry about conflicts like this. That's why they shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I'm a CPA and an auditor for a living. I have to be independent of my clients and that's fair enough because if I audited my parent's business (even if I was the most hardcore auditor of all time) no one would believe my findings because of the obviousness of the conflict of interest.

So even if the Kleiban's are totally innocent of any wrong doing the conflict exists and is a major problem. Kudos to DTK for eliminating it even if it hurts cause Brian Kleiban by all accounts is very good at what he does.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the source of this?

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bummer, as Kleiban is very well-respected. OTOH, I have a feeling DtK has some pretty good connections.

19. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I attached a file to my original post. It comes from a secondary tweet from Skejstal.

mbar repped this.
  20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Why is a Cal State Fullerton Physics lecturer serving as a player agent? I suspect he's really just serving as an advisor to the family rather than fornally representing them for a commission on the contract.

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first time I’ve heard Gary being called their agent. Very odd

mbar repped this.
  23. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know you do that! That's my training as well (Ernst & Whinney), but I moved into "corporate" early in my career.

mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1274 mbar, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Plot thickens:

https://sports.yahoo.com/24-thoughts-inside-the-galaxy-laf-cs-battle-for-los-angeles-173745205.html

16. Speaking of MLS talent mills, let’s circle back to the Galaxy. MLSSoccer.com’s Sam Stejskal reported Wednesday that the club had parted ways with under-19 coach Brian Kleiban. The move has been inevitable since two prized Galaxy products, U.S. U-20 national team standouts Ulysses Llanez and Alex Mendez, spurned contract offers from the senior team to sign developmental deals with German clubs. The players are represented by Kleiban’s brother.

17. The only question is why it didn’t happen sooner. Rumors of Kleiban’s impending ouster have been circulating for months. “He’s a good coach,” was the response I got from multiple sources when I asked, as far back as late last year, why the Galaxy hadn’t yet pulled the trigger. Now that the move has been made, here’s a little more context to the story:

18. Had the deals Llanez and Mendez received in Germany been comparable to the contracts signed by fellow Americans Weston McKennie or Josh Sargent, the Galaxy probably wouldn’t have had a major beef. But multiple sources told me independently that Llanez and Mendez are making peanuts with Wolfsburg and Freiburg, respectively, about 1,000 euros a month. My understanding is that’s less that the Galaxy offered them to stay. Makes you wonder what kind of advice they were getting. (Kleiban did not respond to a request for comment.)

That last point is a killer. Does anyone know if we retain their MLS rights if they return to MLS in the future?

hav77, 73Bruin, ProudNatRN and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder. We got money from D.C. for Arriola, I'd imagine that we'd have their rights.

Do we know if we offered them first team or USL contracts? That may also have an impact this whole thing.

TrickHog repped this.