Official Galaxy Youth Academy and Progress

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the heels of a bad result in league play, a few articles have been posted online about our youth academy. It looks, well, promising. Nick Green had this article out today:

http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/2011/03/youth-soccer-update-the-force.html

Basically explaining the Galaxy youth teams new partnership with a prestigious club team.

And this one is another goal.com article with some awesome quote from Klein and Kenny Arena:

“I think we have implemented a number of changes,” Klein said to Goal.com on Sunday after the U-18 game about the modifications since his appointment. “We are trying to do it like a real professional academy."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/2617...oute-los-angeles-galaxy-academys-rising-stars

2. Pinkman

Pinkman New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Someone please remind me what qualities Chris Klien has that makes him a good pick on leading the academy teams? Being a nice guy and good Pro doesn't develop the kind of players that we need to move soccer in Socal forward. I haven't read anything about style or philosophy. The reason why i'm asking this question is because it will determine how the youth teams play and what type of player the 1st team will be looking for.

3. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have you seen the youth academy players in matches? I have, and they're excellent. Very technique driven with quality coaching all around. When the excellence stops, your question may be valid. Until then, try supporting their efforts.

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pinkman, it's a good question, well two questions really - what are Chris Klein's qualifications, and what system will the Galaxy follow in training their youth teams?

On the qualifications, I was reading a lot about Jason Kreis this week and what his qualifications were to be head coach. Pretty much they were, former player, hard worker, and Checketts liked him and his attitude and his ideas. The GM and all the assistant coaches for RSL are now former MLS players. Kreis used his people skills and ability to inspire (and a little bit of risk-taking) to sign Javi Morales and turn the franchise around from the Ellinger days. There's nothing wrong with giving these guys a chance, especially the ones like Kreis and Klein, who took limited physical gifts and made great careers for themselves out of good attitudes and a lot of hard work. If they are enough of a student of the game, they have a good chance to do well.

How about Kenny Arena coaching the U-16's? :D Also, we have DC United's last disaster coach on our bench, albeit a former MLS player himself. Checketts stated he didn't want a recycled coach - a little different than how we're doing it at the senior team.

On the system question, there were articles this week about Toronto going whole hog to invest a lot of $$ in their youth teams and facilities, and about the strict system they are going to follow, where every team from the littlest to the first team has the same philosophy and style of play. I wonder if we are going to follow this model or not?

5. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  7. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Na, you're fine; that's why message boards exist. I just happened to stumble across the article. I think I got the link from an LAG Twitter post. I think this is exactly what we're looking for as long-term Galaxy fans.

8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    People should read this story again. Matt Tilley is the defender who played in the reserve game and looked very promising. And he's 16 :eek:

It may be out of necessity, but I like the fact that we're looking at young players and giving them serious exposure.

9. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Klein had this gig?

13. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein is Director and I'm guessing that more like a GM, while I'm thinking Cien's post is more coaching -related.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/youth-academy

14. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein is the main guy Cienfuegos main focus will be on best practices and techniques for attacking players, including body movement, body positioning, utilizing the different parts of the foot, and when and how to utilize them, among other facets of an attacking player’s game.

He will report to Chris Klein, Senior Director of the LA Galaxy Academy.

15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our back room staff is filling out pretty damn well.

17. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its also a good way to bring in Latino players to the Academy

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! I hope he thrives in the position.

20. zuqiu85

zuqiu85 Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Galaxy really wants to atract tallent they should stop charging $65 to tryout. The Goats don't charge. If we keep that up Chivas Lite will clean our clocks in about five years. Because they will atract kids who want to go pro either in MLS or Mexico. Kids who can't afford to pay to play. We have a wealth of talent in LA County but we need to start attracting the Hispanic and other immigrant or sons immigrants.

22. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can you validate this for us? Link? I've never heard of any youth club in LA charging for tryouts and if this is indeed true, it's absolutely ridiculous. But again, I'd really like to see some proof of this.

23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ErickS104

ErickS104 Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did any of our current players come from our Youth Academy??

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack McBean, who was just signed this year and has yet to appear in a league game.

And Tristan Bowen before him, who has since been traded to Chivas.

But several of the Academy players have filled out the roster for reserve games.

Don't forgot that our academy has only been around for a couple years and is still in it's infancy...