News: Official Fire Jay Berhalter’s Brother Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sXeWesley, Oct 15, 2019.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's my pitchfork and torch. Time to sack the castle.

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would they go to tho? Jay? Earnie?

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Why do people think the players are angry at the coach? There's no evidence of this; just wishful thinking.

The players definitely played a role in Klinsmann going -- it wasn't a coincidence that the instant he was fired, the stories came out about how erratic and unprepared he was.

If they wanted to get rid of Berhalter, they would go to Earnie. Losing the clubhouse is a big thing that you can't ignore. But there's not a ton of evidence except losing.

4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine being afraid of success. o_O

btlove and Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. Chris A Owens

Chris A Owens New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 16, 2019
    Someone wake me when we're ready to admit we screwed up firing Jurgen....I'm in the USMNT X-Files Club..."I want to believe...I just can't"

6. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have some bad news...

Nike spent just 0.7% of their ad spend on US Soccer:

$27M to sponsor US Soccer (men's and women's programs)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/sports/soccer/womens-soccer-nike-sponsors.html

On a $3.75B overall budget
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/685734/nike-ad-spend/

We are not on the Nike CEO's radar.

dams and sXeWesley repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Mark Parker has his lips glued to Xi Jingping's ass for the next six months at least. He's only allowed to take them off to call LeBron so he can issue his next PRC-written statement.

Pegasus, Winoman, yurch10 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Does te he have a slight accent? That is as good as not speaking English right? I mean, what if he mispronounces something and everyone gets confused and has their WASPness threatened in Chicago?

Winoman, Burr, btlove and 4 others repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    If Pep Guardiola's brother made it to the top of the USSF ladder, and he successfully named Pep the USMNT coach, that wouldn't be a problem. But if Pep failed and needed to be fired, then they would both have to go. Because if you hire your brother, that's on your credibility. So if Gregg goes, Jay must go, too.

USSoccerNova, Gacm32, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the problem is GB's system plus his player selection. He wont succeed against better teams with the people hes picking and he keeps picking them. Since he wont change, he must go

11. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Stu Holden was an integral part of a group of player representatives who used their leverage to elect our sitting president.

juveeer, Namdynamo, gunnerfan7 and 5 others repped this.
  13. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. He also wore the shirt with distinction, playing with passion, pride and guts. He literally bled for us and got De Jonged for the crest.

So there’s that.

Winoman, USA-Zebuel, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how much of a cheerleader that he's been on TV for Berhalter and the "system", this us a little surprising. In a good way.

USSoccerNova and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stu Holden also raved about Michael Bradley being the best 6 on the USMNT player pool during the Cuba game.

Once again, the tangled web of cronyism and fear of losing access has done wrong by US Soccer. Common fans could see this coming 10 miles away. But we don't have the ear of those who really matter.

nbarbour, Gacm32, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  17. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    #142 dams, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    I guess it's better late than never. The majority of the mainstream soccer press have pretty much done a complete 180 as of yesterday. This is a big deal in my opinion as they are the mouth piece for the soccer establishment. Jay's Brother is not going anywhere as of now, but you would think that we are going to see changes in his system, and maybe player selections. If he does not change, and things look the same next round of Nations Cup, there will be real pressure to run him out of town.

USSoccerNova, juveeer, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know, Drake and Twellman were pretty pissed right off the bat. Honestly, they were about the only reason I didn’t turn the game off.

Gacm32, Winoman and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like him or not, Twellman has been one of the few in the media consistently critical of the current state of USSF. I know he puts a lot of people off, but he has been one of the lone voices speaking for those of us wanting real change.

btlove, TxEx, USSoccerNova and 13 others repped this.
  20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hercules Gomez > Everyone else when it comes to honestly speaking his mind through this whole debacle since Couva.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Even if there was, we wouldn't hear of it.

Bradley went to Gulati in 2016 to get Klinsman replaced. We only learned about that last year.

The USWNT tried to get Jill Ellis fired in 2017. We didn't learn about that until this year.

Players want to win. I can't imagine any professional soccer player not wanting to play for Pep. To go through the drills and learn his system. Most know they won't get there. So, that GB wanted to play that way had to be exciting. it still could be.

But the results have to be putting doubt in the players' mind. Their opinion of GB could change quickly and radically if they start to think he has no idea what he is doing.

Right now, a good chunk of the roster probably would be gone if the coach changed. Those players know who they are and will back GB to the end. The other players are mostly young and probably not cynical enough to stage a coup. Bradley has to be smart enough to see if things are ever going to work. But he has to know he is probably gone with a coaching change. I think his self-interest is stronger than his desire to see the team succeed.

manq360 repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    They had done it in 2017 too. But they were easily massaged back into the fold.

Gacm32 and yurch10 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    As everyone knows, i'm critical of Bradley's inclusion but I see no evidence for this opinion. You are of course welcome to it but I disagree.

Burr repped this.
  24. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Yeah. I used to really like him and his pier group until the last election. They played lap dog and you gotta think they knew what that meant.

25. JDeuce23

JDeuce23 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't logged on here in a while. Good God. Where to even begin?

Every national team has the occasional WTF-level performance and loses against an inferior opponent. It happens. The problem is those are supposed to happen about once every two or three qualification cycles, not once every two or three matches.

I see zero hustle or desire from our players out there, and that's a zip code-sized red flag for me. I genuinely can't think of a single aspect of the program that has improved under GB. Do we score more goals per match? Do we concede fewer? Do we beat teams ranked higher than us? Have more players developed and moved to bigger clubs? The answers to all those (and more) would be no. And speaking of that last one, someone else in this thread mentioned that there is some kind of directive to feature MLS players on the roster. Is that accurate? Where would that be coming from, and why?

I questioned at the time of the hire whether GB was our very best option out there. I've been unconvinced from day one, and now the answer is pretty obvious. I can't believe every better than average manager out there who has had some share of success would slam down the phone if the USSF were on the other end inquiring about availability.

Failing to qualify for 2022 would be a disaster of biblical proportions...I don't think it's likely, but unfortunately is possible. That should terrify every USMNT fan to the core. We're basically on the road of regressing back to mid-1980s form and results.

Burr, GiallorossiYank, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.