Official DM Menace 2008 Thread - [R]

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by IASocFan, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's now 2008, so I'm quoting from the 2007 thread and, hereby, requesting the old thread be closed.

I included an [R], as someday soon, the snow will melt and we'll have results to discuss!

2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official DM Meance 2008 Thread - [R]

Here's to hoping that '08 looks a lot like '05!

3. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001

Can we spell Menace correctly?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ouch.

5. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Done.

6. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

Woo Hoo, 2008 is here!!!

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like your U20 team did ok last year in the Super 20s. Can you see some of those players moving up to the PDL team and having a impact. I think having the U20s is a great idea for clubs. It's kind of hard for most freshman and sophmores to make PDL clubs unless they are exceptional. I think it's encouraging that your club has a complete club set up from youth through the PDL.

8. menacesoccer

menacesoccer New Member

May 21, 2007
    Butler Bob, I agree completely. Lets graduate some of that talent onto the big boys...and lets get to the Super 20 nationals

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Now if only there were a good route for the girls side........ when are we going to get a women's USL side in Des Moines? Give the girls a reason to come to the Menace Academy, and stay! There are some great Iowa girls who will be attending some strong college programs in the next few years (WS, CC, KK, JG, and a nice crop of HS freshmen). GIVE THE GIRLS SOMEPLACE TO PLAY IN FRONT OF THE HOMETOWN CROWD!!!

10. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Congrats to the Menace Youth Academy as the U18's won the Disney Showcase Tournament...a top flight youth tournament played in Orlando. A great accomplishment for an Iowa team.

http://www.menacesoccer.com/news/?id=13914

11. sbalgenorth

sbalgenorth New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Good morning,

My time with the Menace is comming to an end. Last week, I informed the team that I would be leaving and heading back to my home state of Michigan.

I have greatly enjoyed my time here and take with me the satisfaction that I have helped push the Menace along the path to bigger and better things. It has been my pleasure to meet some of you and I hope that the Red Army will march to the championship in 2008.

Thank you for you support of the Menace and the sport of soccer in this community.

Good luck in 2008.

Scott Balgenorth
    Director of Sales and Marketing

12. sbalgenorth

sbalgenorth New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    [​IMG]January 9, 2008 - OMAHA, Neb. – Former Creighton men’s soccer goalkeeper and two-time Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year Matt Allen has been invited to the upcoming MLS Player Combine after all. After not appearing on the initial list of 54 college seniors invited to the combine, Allen has now been extended an invitation to the event which runs from Jan. 11-15 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In addition to the combine, Allen has also signed with an agent and will take part in a tryout in Norway at the end of this month.

Allen, the only two-time MVC Defensive Player of the Year in conference history, concluded his record-setting career in goal for the Bluejays last month. The Omaha Burke product established school career records with 26 shutouts and 6,531 minutes played. He ranks second in CU career history with 43 wins, 260 saves and 0.83 goals against average. During the 2007 season, he played all 1,930 minutes in net for the Bluejays, with a 12-3-5 record, 75 saves, seven shutouts and a 0.79 goals against average.

The coaching and management staffs of all 14 MLS teams will be in attendance to scout talent at the combine, which concludes three days before the 2008 MLS SuperDraft. The 2008 MLS SuperDraft will be held on Friday, Jan. 18, 2008 in Baltimore, Md. The Bluejays remain the only college in the nation to have at least one player selected in an MLS draft since the league’s inception.

The MLS Player Combine will separate all players into four teams and feature two games per day at Lockhart Stadium on Jan. 12, 13, and 15. Each team will be led by an experienced Division I coach and will be assigned a youth coach.

Creighton, which appeared in its 16th straight NCAA Tournament this year, won its second-straight and eighth regular-season MVC title and finished the year 12-3-5 after advancing to the third round of the NCAA postseason.

Article Courtesy of Creighton Athletics.

13. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Back when AO was here there was rumor that they were looking into it?? Where its at now is anyone's guess. But I agree, we need a Menace W-League team in DSM. There are 2 Univ of MN players from Iowa that will be playing this summer for the MN Lightning, Jennie Clark from Norwalk and another from Eastern Iowa.
    There are about 4 or 5 more Iowans on that same Univ of MN team that im sure would like to play. I think thou that there is a rule in effect for the W-L that either one college team can only have 4 or 6 players play in the W-L or, each
    W-L team can only have 4-6 college players on the roster. Im not really sure on which thou?? Iv also heard a rumor that Shattuck might be trying to get some players up to guest with the Lightning as well??

14. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    R2-- Slow down on these types of points. The nay-sayers are still researching the positives posted on another thread trying to find how those positives for Shattuck are actually negative. You start throwing too many things out there as positives, and you'll cause a meltdown. The "haters" simply can't keep up.

Speaking of "haters"......we are well into January 2008 and I don't think that anyone has pointed out yet that he Thunder Bay Chill are goons and thugs? Sorry for my negligence in this matter.

15. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least the new divisional alignments left us with the Thugger Bash Cheats to bruise us up for the post season...

16. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Guys, I want to lobby for your votes for Bobblehead night again this year. The Menace website has a fan poll online which is asking what giveaway people would like to see this year. Currently, the two leaders are t-shirts and bobbleheads.

Here is my rationale for voting for a bobblehead......

T-shirts are ALWAYS available for purchase, and last year's designs can be purchased at very reasonable prices. But.....bobbleheads are not available unless the team has them made for giveaways. Last year marked the third year for the bobblehead, and it is becoming a very cool tradition. (By the way, if anyone has or knows someone who has the Maniac bobblehead....I'd like to purchase it)

In this election year, I feel that the only vote that is absolutely the right vote for the people of Des Moines is that for a bobblehead. Forget about the Presidential election....let's vote for no change and keep our Menace bobbleheads!

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would I do with a bobblehead!

I think I'll just abstain.

18. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I want to lobby for a Casey Bobblehead:D

19. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area
    Good lord it's been a while since I've been on here (7 months)...came back to find out I get a negative rep from some idiot Thunder Bay fan...sweet!

The only player news I have as of now is that three Lincoln, NE players from CSA Legacy are going to be trying out for spots on the PDL team as well as the Super 20's. Seth Neben (heading to New Mexico), Nate Polak (Drake) and Jordan Green (undecided) will be making the trip up to impress. All extremely good players for the 8 time Nebraska state champ. You'll like the size of these guys and their speed. All really good players.

That's all for now.

20. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Great to hear from the maniac on the board.....since obviously he has forgotten about his friends in Iowa. :confused:

Thanks for the player updates, sure wish Hamburger would not have decided to become a responsible member of society and come back to play in DSM for the summer. Hope he hasn't begun Fabio's workout techniques!

21. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Two former Menace players were drafted into MLS for LA and New England.

http://menacesoccer.com/news/?id=13965

Congrats to those guys and the Menace staff for getting them the opportunity to show off their skills.

22. Eli Cash

Eli Cash New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Liberty Bank Stadium
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well be the first to post the schedule even though the PDL Schedule thread is already up.

That early 5-game road trip is going to be tough. Need to gain a lot of points or the pressure to win the home matches the second half will be a lot.

5/3 Latino Select 6:30 PM
    5/10 St. Louis Lions 2:00 PM
    5/11 @ Kansas City Brass 5:00 PM
    5/17 Springfield Demize 6:30 PM
    5/23 @ Colorado Rapids U23s 6:00 PM
    5/24 @ Colorado Rapids U23s 6:00 PM
    5/31 @ St. Louis Lions 5:00 PM
    6/6 @ Thunder Bay Chill 6:30 PM
    6/7 @ Thunder Bay Chill 6:30 PM
    6/14 St. Louis Lions 6:30 PM
    6/21 Kansas City Brass 6:30 PM

6/27 @ Kansas City Brass 8:00 PM
    6/28 Colorado Rapids U23s 6:30
    7/4 Thunder Bay Chill 7:00 PM
    7/5 Thunder Bay Chill 6:30 PM
    7/10 @ Springfield Demize 6:30 PM
    7/12 Real Colorado 6:30 PM
    7/19 Colorado Rapids U23s 6:30 PM

http://menacesoccer.com/schedule/Nice to see an Independence Day game (against a foreign team no less!). The I-Cubs are gone on the 4th so that may draw a really big crowd.

23. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Lions game on 5/10 an exhibition again?

24. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I really don't like the fact that we'll be away from home(wherever that may be this year) for nearly a full month, but if it had to be at any point in the season, I'd definitely prefer at the beginning. I think we'll be able to make up any points needed with that home game heavy finish to the season. Definitely beats playing in Thunder Bay with the playoffs on the line in the final games of the season, again.

25. Eli Cash

Eli Cash New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Liberty Bank Stadium
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that I know.

The only matches that appear on the Menace's site and not the official PDL schedule are the Real Colorado and Latino Select matches.

We all know about Latino Select. This is what I found for Real Colorado.
    http://www.dcsa.net/realcolorado/main.asp?AdminType=2&AdminId=33

Kind of a weird time for a friendly. I suppose they wanted 10 games...