Official Confederations Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    all he proved is he works hard and gives his all but isnt italy material, unless constantly hesitating to make the final pass then wasting an attack is italy material? the guy at most should come on as a late sub to do a job, he lacks natural talant and thats not gonna win us jack shit, he's just another pepe but without the smackable face

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not sure about anyone else but I for one looked at this tournament as a more a work in progress type of wc warmup. It seems the national team always has trouble scheduling games and I think it was great that they played in a semi meaningful tournament to get read for next year.

Question: I really want to know is would you all rather all lose to Brazil in the final as Spain did or beat Uruguay in the semifinals of the 3rd place game? I think I'd rather win the bronze medal than gain a silver in a losing effort. What do you all think?

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I would not have enjoyed another thumping. Could care less about the bronze. Good to see Spain get spanked. Karma can be a bitch.

4. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    the thing is theres no meaning to a 3rd place game, no nerves when watching, so i'd rather the excitement of a fnal

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I loved that 3rd place game. I thought it was a great moral victory

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As a tifoso of Napoli, those are the only victories you have! :p

NickyViola and indestructible repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True but seriously, who gets what to win the Confederation Cup and what do you get by winning it? I mean a medal a trophy a better FIFA ranking? Who cares about this cup really? I'm sure Italy has been trying out players to see where they are at in the international stage and I doubt by the time the next WC rolss around in 2014, anyone will be really remember who won this cup. If anything I think the federation, coaches as well as players are using it as a testing ground to get ready for next year....

8. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I found it entertaining. That is it. I look for gli Azzurri to do well but would not lose sleep if they didn't. I was more concerned about players getting injured. It took a while for Chiellini to return after last summer. I did not want to see that happen to anyone. For me, this tournament is a glorified friendly. It is a money maker for FIFA. While it is a prep tournament for the organizers and the teams, my preference would be to let the players have some rest.

el napulitan repped this.
  9. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    The Confederations Cup is a joke when it is used the way Lippi did in 2009. I love Lippi and will always defend him as one of the best ever, but bringing the senior citizens squad to that tournament was a huge mistake. You need to use this Cup as an experiment to see what you have. You have to see how players respond to some pressure.

It was good to see De Sciglio getting some playing time and experience. Nice to see Candreva have a breakout tournament. Diamanti solidified himself as a super sub. Balotelli showed he can carry the central striker role quite well. SES got some valuable playing time in the 3rd place match as did Astori. De Rossi showed he still has it.

I feel coming out of this tourney that we have holes..but holes that are fixable.

Sempre and gcstorm9 repped this.
  10. ITA-SSCN=AZZURRI

Sep 15, 2008
    Ferraro factory
    A little info from wiki on confed cup history. Germany has declined this tournament in the past and France also.

The tournament was originally organized by and held in Saudi Arabia and called the King Fahd Cup (Confederations Winners Cup or Intercontinental Championship), contested in 1992 and 1995 by the Saudi national side and some continental champions. In 1997, FIFA took over the organization of the tournament, named it the FIFA Confederations Cup and staged the competition every two years.[1]
    Since 2005, it has been held every four years, in the year prior to each World Cup in the host country of the forthcoming World Cup (the 2001 edition was hosted in South Korea and Japan, before the quadrennial pattern was established). Considered a dress-rehearsal for the World Cup it precedes, it uses around half of the stadia intended for use at the following year's competition and gives the host nation, which qualifies for that tournament automatically, experience at a high level of competition during two years of otherwise friendlies. At the same time, participation was made optional for the South American and European champions.[2]
    Generally, the host nation, the World Cup holders, and the six continental champions qualify for the competition. In those cases where a team meets more than one of the qualification criteria (such as the 2001 tournament where France qualified as the World Cup champions and European champions), another team is invited to participate, often the runner-up in a competition that the extra-qualified team won.
    On three occasions teams have chosen not to participate in the tournament. Germany did so twice, first in the 1997 Confederations Cup after their victory in the Euro 1996, and again in the 2003 Confederations Cup when they were awarded a place as the 2002 World Cup runners-up. In 1997, Germany were replaced by 1996 runners-up Czech Republic, and in 2003 they were replaced by Turkey, the 2002 third place team. France, 1998 World Cup winners, declined their place in the 1999 Confederations Cup, and were replaced by Brazil, the 1998 World Cup runners-up (and also 1997 Copa América champions).
    An earlier tournament existed that invited former World Cup winners, the Mundialito, or Lloyd Griffin which celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the first World Cup. The Artemio Franchi Trophy, contested in 1985 and 1993 between the winners of the Copa América and UEFA European Football Championship, was also another example of an earlier contest between football confederations. Both of these are considered by some to be a form of an unofficial precursor to the Confederations Cup, although FIFA recognised only the 1992 tournaments onwards to be Confederations Cup winners.[3]

11. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    This tournament has really only had relevance since 2005 IMO.

Fabio Grosso 2006 repped this.
  12. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Best part of the tournament is to experience how players react vs best teams in the world. Sure, its always nice to win, BUT its very meaningless. I'm glad we came in 3rd because it was nice to end on a win after the tough loss to Spain, but I'm not gloating about 3rd place, I'm gloating about how we kicked Spain's ass and with Balo surely would have beaten them.

My thoughts on who will be gone from National team for next time around. Everyone who I don't mention has solidified their spot OR earned one now. Aquilani and Gilardino should be done. Gila added a great tactical approach to the Spain game but Balo is our CF and next year will be another CF to replace Gila who is in form. Aquilani to me is a waste of a spot. Commits bad fouls defensively, and adds very little offensively. Marchisio/Giac/Candreva/Monotlivo adds much more. Hopefully a youth guy can take his spot as reserve. Youth guys to be promoted: Verratti,Insigne,Destro/Gabbardini(back up CF). The youth have a quality squad and others deserve to be promoted BUT breaking into the full team is going to be tough. The youths I've mentioned like Verratti/Insigne would have been at Confeds Cup if not for U-21 championships.

O, and BTW, the wildcard is Giuseppe Rossi. He if fit, is a lock for the team and probably competing to start next to SES/Insigne. Just my take..

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe you didn't notice that pretty much everyone considers it the same. Heck, it's even billed as such; a tournament for FIFA to iron out issues with scheduling, stadiums, crowd control, etc....basically a mini test run to the big show, and of course a big money grab ;)

14. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I think I can, somehow, manage to live with myself despite my conviction that thus absolute undeniable talent you speak of is a pile of steaming crap. I'll be strong.

15. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I felt Aquilani had a strong season with Fio and deserved a call up. However we struggle when he and Monto are both on the pitch, there's little pace and little backbone when they're manning the midfield together.

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan

I could be wrong, but I don't think Nicky cares too much about international football. He may consider Aquiliani's success at the confed cup to be just coming home uninjured and fresh to start the season.

I will say that on the rare occasion that his no look passes and quick flick's work, they can create dangerous opportunities...but it's a double edged sword, because I saw them work as many times for us, as they did for the opposition.

Aquilani has to stop trying to be so clever. He's not Totti. If, and it might be a big if, Prandelli could simplify his role and make it crystal clear, maybe he could be useful.

I don't know though. He worries me.

I pull a Xavi when I see him come on.

[​IMG]

I did vs Spain. Don't get me wrong, I'm normally optimistic and I'm hopeful that anyone who puts on the jersey's of teams I support do well, but in every game he came on Italy's performance starts to dip. Even in the extra time of the meaningless consolation match.

I think he's had enough chances at this confed. His inclusion is more worrisome for me than Gilardino's or Giovinco's. They can't hurt you as much defensively by nature of their position. So regardless of who's problem it is, whether Prandelli has failed to define his role for him by providing paint-by-number instructions, or if Nicky is right and he's just crap when playing internationally, he's probably the one player I mostly don't want to see again.

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

I didn't say that you couldn't handle it. Only that only someone of suspect intelligence would claim that a guy with Aquilani's talents has none.

18. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

I just view these tournaments as offseason all-star events, which they are.

I'm originally a Californian and so I pull for the West in the East-West Shrine Game but it's not a big deal, or anything.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm a fan. Of his potential anyway. He didn't have a good tournament but that was due in part to often being played out of his natural position, similar to Marchisio.

I didn't see much of his domestic campaign this year but I do remember that he was a good NT and Roma player back before he went off to the black hole that is the EPL.

20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He wasn't the same after multiple knee injuries. Roma may have sold him knowing full well that he was unrecoverable. Similar to how Milan let Kaka go somehow knowing he wouldn't return to previous form. For a significant profit mind you :D

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whatever you think of this tournament and its importance, this was a very positive experience for Italy. We saw the emergence of Candreva and Di Sciglio. We had positive games vs. both the Spanish and Brazilians. We now have a better idea of what is needed on this squad and where our weaknesses are.

And also the people of Brazil got to witness the world class free kick of Diamanti

[​IMG]

gcstorm9 repped this.
  22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Doesn't make him a quality player.

23. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with the last part. I think he's a bum these days though. Injuries at pool ruined him. I like his nerve though in penalties!

24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really don`t mind Aquilani. I thought he had a good 2nd half vs. Brazil. Made some errors, but no one was perfect for italy.

Giovinco proved once again that he was hot garbage.

25. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't know that I would put him in the uppermost echelon of Serie A midfielders but he is pretty clearly in the uppermost echelon of Italian midfielders.