OFFICIAL CANADA VS USA THREAD JUNE 21 pre/in/post

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Camcamy, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TFCSteve

TFCSteve Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Toronto
    He was also quoted as saying "I thought it was offside". Honestly, if he had said "I don't know" that's fine, but he could see not only that they were onside, but that HIS OWN DEFENDER PLAYED IT TO US! He lied, he lied to make the game seem legit. Him an Landycakes are both trash as far as I am concerned.

2. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Keller said on ussoccer.com (from the post-game interview) that he was trying to save the ball.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Landy is half-Canadian. What can you expect!! :)

4. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    How about not kissing his wrists before taking a penalty?

5. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, just came over from the US forum to say you played well, and you got hosed on a terrible call. I also thought we should have had two players sent off, not just Bradley...Boco's tackle was a red in my opinion as well.

Canada definitely deserved extra time, and I was disgusted with the way the game ended.

GL in the future, you have an up and coming team...I'm a Spur's supporter as well, and Staltari gave me the highlight of the EPL campaign this year with his winner against West Ham.

6. LostintheBarrens

LostintheBarrens New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    If Landycakes Donovan is the USMNT poster boy than the game will never catch on with red blooded males in the US of A. Expect their supporter's clubs to be submerged by shrieking teenage girls who have the attention span of the average boy band's stay on the MTV playlist.

The Danny Dichio hattrick captured the imagination of Canadians:
    1)thumps in a goal after fighting off his marker
    2)gets in a fight
    3)gets sent off for trying to bite someone's ear

The Landycakes hat trick in evidence last night:
    1) rolls home a penalty after an elaborate ritual of patting himself, sort of a disturbing cross of Nomar Garciappara meets Pygmy Chimpanzee mating dance.
    2) whiffs on a goal attempt and falls on his face, no doubt distracted by the need to plan his next pectoral patting "I love myself I am a metrosexual" goal ritual.
    3) gets booked for diving

Disgusting. Add in the fact that Gooch is a lump of steroid stupdity, the nepotism of the coach and the lack of quality and basic skill that MLS perpetuates and this game is doomed.
    Too bad, Toronto FC was really catching on.

7. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Sorry for coming to this thread late, I was too pissed last night to say anything.

Bottem line, we were robbed. That was not an offside, the ball went off an American player. I want to be diplomatic about this, I don't want to completely take the credit away from USA, after all, they have a good team, but the game should have went to extra time and if USA is deserving of going to the finals, it should beat us in extra time or penalty shootout.

Robbed, call the cops, we were robbed of a goal.

8. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I couldn't agree with you more. This is not just sad for Canadians, but also for CONCACAF. I mean, it would have ended as one of the greatest classics, with Canada drawing near the end and going to the distance with USA. Instead, it ended as a contraversy. Disgusting, not a good day for the BEAUTIFUL GAME.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    very Canadian!

10. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    Exactly why in critical moment would he be looking for an offsides flag when there was no offsides but a bad call. Keepers are taught to stay in the game and not be distracted, those whose arguement that he seen the flag and made a half-ass attempt have no clue what you are talking about.

11. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Actually I thought Stalteri was crap yesterday. The only reason I support him on our team is because he can rub off his experience on the younger guys. Infact he has been crap this entire tournament, constantly getting burned by mediocrly pacy forwards. Once we get all our players, including those from the U-20 squad and those taking a vacation, I don't want Stalteri, Nash, Hainault, Bernier, Onstad and possibly a couple of others on the starting lineup. I don't know how Stalteri has survived this long in the EPL.

12. Reds YNWA

Reds YNWA New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Burlington
    Benito yes you and your team of 'Officials"
    WE WILL BE WAITING :cool:

13. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing at all, why is Radzinski not playing? Is he not involved in the NT setup? Not good enough? Injured?

14. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I would guess he is not playing because he is not at a club at the moment, and if he got injured on National Team duty it would make it incredibly hard for him to get a paying (playing) job.

Cheers!

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

17. SidFarkus

SidFarkus New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    New Jersey
    Honestly, I don't care. I do casually support the USMNT, but anyone who reads my posts over on the USA board knows I could care less about the Gold Cup. I thought the US should be bringing a B squad to this event. Luckily, they did put out a half starting side last night to rest for the Copa. That's the tourney I've been looking forward to. However, i'm not saying that the Gold Cup isn't important. I'm just talking from my own view.

That said, I'm only saying what I saw. I've seen the replay and it looked to me that Keller saw the offsides and only decided to dive in a panic move just in case. If I'm wrong, hey it wouldn't be the first time. Keller said after the game that he saw that the call was made. I think someone posted the quote earlier.

I don't see what's so awful about this. I've said the offsides was wrong, I just said the goal wasn't a sure thing. We can't know what would have happened on that play if Keller positioned himself and played as if the shot mattered.

Even the US defender on the near side stopped and threw his arm up signaling an offsides before the shot was made.

Like I've said. I think Canada was robbed of a chance, not a sure goal. They were still robbed...

18. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Well it's over. Maybe right now the ref is on a conference call taking bids on who to let win. I dunno. Uhm ...Hopefully USA crushes MEX ...

I wouldn't be too hard on the American players for calling it offside, they gotta play the next game.

Donovan plays for the USA ... He was born in California. If his father stayed in Canada, and Donovan he was born there, he woulda took penalties in a normal way.

19. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    a Misdemeanor anywhere you go.

20. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Good things:

1. Some very nice players. Julian is a pleasant to watch, especially his span away tactic that evades few defenders. Iain is very good on his patent style scoring. I watched many of his scoring. Hutchson is good and only thing I don't like Dwyne is sometimes he is too much improvision and forget simple and effective combination. Gerba is not bad either.

2. Fighting spirit. Many games you have to grind out and Canuck showed that.

Things need to work on:

1. Backline--Prone to speed attack. You should be glad that useless lazyass Johnson is there. If you have some real players there, the defense may not hold.

2. Bench--Gold Cup is short, but World Cup Qualifiing is long process. Need a deep bench to have a chance. Toronto FC is a good start.

Bad Breaks:

If both Hergrave and Donovan go your way, you would be a powerhouse here.

21. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Hart made one very bad decision starting Nash. He was barely tolerable against the two CA teams we faced, as they love the ball too much to be direct. But his faults were clearly seen against teams who occasionally play direct ball - Guadaloupe and Haiti. The USA of course takes that directness a step or two higher and Nash was a liability out there. Never looked very comfortable, too slow to get to balls, beaten too many times, looked a little too desperate in defending too often. He will be remembered for his terrific sub role in the 2000 GC but his days are done.
    I think we should have put Issey in the starting line up with Bernier playing in Nash's spot. Would have made a world of difference.

22. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Agreed. Also, Nash seems to favour a more direct approach going forward and isn't very comfortable on the ball. While we would have lost his passing range, having Bernier in there would have added to the fluidity going forward, as I get the impression he (Bernier) would be much more comfortable in possession and playing a short passing game.

23. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    as a guy on voyaguers posted...

[​IMG]

24. LostintheBarrens

LostintheBarrens New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I'll take Hutch and Hume over those two any day. See you in the Hex.

muttermuttermutterCondescending, arrogant, know nothing Americans.mumblemumblemumble

25. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's arrogant about his post? If you think Hutch and Hume are better than Hargreaves and Donovan, that's your prerogative. But it is hard to call his post, which was both complimentary and constructive "condescending, arrogant, know-nothing."

Or am I missing some irony or something?