Official BigSoccer HipHop Thread

Discussion in 'Books' started by FulhamRev, Jul 17, 2002.

1. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm awaiting my copy of the RJD2 album, as well as the INI re-issue. Should be arriving shortly.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Question: is Princess Superstar worth my time? She's actually received some decent reviews. I'll see if any of her stuff comes up on Limewire...

And any word on the Scratch album?
    The new DJ Shadow is decent, btw.

3. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    I bought the Scratch album last weekend and just finished it. It's OK. If I had to do it again I would just download some of the stuff.

4. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd avoid Prencess Superstar...it's garbage. I downloaded some of her stuff and I don't understand how she got decent producers at all (Prince Paul, Mighty Mi, J-Zone). It might be mildly amusing for a listen, but you don't want to actually buy her album.

I'd avoid Scratch too. I'm a HUGE Roots fan (8/11 in Raleigh!!!) but this album doesn't do it for me. Hell, I even like Schoolz of Thought (his old group...they're on alot of the songs on his new album). But the straight up beatbox beats get really repetetive over the course of a whole album. It's all very impressive, don't get me wrong. But none of them are really great songs, and it certainly isn't a must-have album (in my opinion).

The only things I've liked this year are J-Live, Blackalicious, and the Mr. Lif EP (Emergency Rations). I'm really looking forward to getting INI's "Center of Attention" and RJD2 "Dead Ringer" in the mail soon. I also HIGHLY recommend J-Zone "Pimps Don't Pay Taxes." It just got re-released at hiphopsite.com with some extra tracks. IT was my favorite album of last year. Skipshady, if you're looking for some hip-hop with some sense of humor, don't bother with that Princess Superstar...get J-Zone immediately!

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    After downloading and listening to "Bad Babysitter", I have to agree. She's not worth the bandwidth. It's certainly different from the crap that's on Hot 97 but that's not saying much.

I'll check out J-Zone though.

6. Not So Typical Cat

Not So Typical Cat New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hell's kitchen.
    How does Shadow go about making his music?

7. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    samples, samples and more samples.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Indeed. Endtroducing had a very jazzy vibe, while I understand a majority of Private Press samples came from 70's California rock.

9. Not So Typical Cat

Jun 26, 2002
    Hell's kitchen.
    That's it!

I thought some of his beat were his creation as far as programing some them. So it's all just samples...

10. Not So Typical Cat

Jun 26, 2002
    Hell's kitchen.
    Did you know!

I heard that Talib was going to tour with Jay-z. Now I find this intresting becuase my man Talib was or is against the commerical ************************. I'm not against anybody making a living, but isn't that something. He said more or less that he was trying to bring peace between the underground and the comerical because without peace their can be no progress. WTF!

11. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    My friend just burned me a copy of Atmosphere, it's cool, what do yall think?

12. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slug is definitely one of the most talented rappers out there, in my opinion. Sometimes the self-depricating/whining thing can really get on my nerves though. Plus, he needs to choose better beats. I bought "God Loves Ugly" and really don't listen to it too often. But I buy a bunch of stuff, so sometimes it's easy for CD's to get lost in the shuffle.

13. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    True, i think that's the best song on the cd, i mostly listen to reggae, but was wondering what others thought.

14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I'd like to start an Official BigSoccer CrotchRock thread, but I fear I'd be the only one posting in it.

15. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, the second track (which I guess is technically the first song) is awesome, but the rest of the stuff on the record hasn't been as immediately impressive as his first ep. Of course, i know why that is (as it applies to me)- Insight is not doing the production, or at least it doesn't sound like he is. By the way, the Insight cd is worth the investment.

Yeah, I need to get out and get this one- I already bought the Copywrite (one of the MCs in Mhz) CD and was kind of dissapointed- It's all dick rap and rape fantasies, which makes for bad dope smoking listening. Some of the production is pretty good, but I find myself skipping over a few too many songs.

16. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Copy's got some quotables now and then, but I've got no need for a full length from him. I'm too old for that stuff...

As for Lif, you've gotta like "Pull Out Ya Cut" (track #5)...classic early 90's Primo-esque production. "I, Phantom" is pretty nice too (for that futuristic El-P sound).

I'm still waiting for RJD2...I'm guessing it came in the mail today.

17. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my package with the RJD2 and INI (it also had DJ Z-Trip's "Uneasy Listening" and a DJ Spinna CD) got stolen when it was left on my porch. So, I just returned from the CD store, where I picked up RJD2 and the new Gorillaz vs. Space Monkeyz. And let me say, that RJD2 is worth every penny. I haven't gotten through it all yet. But it gets the Kris Seal of Approval as a good as ************ album....

The Gorillaz sounds good so far, but I have only listened to 2 songs.

18. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borrowed DJ Food "Solid Steel" from my friend the other day- it's really, really well done, but it seems a bit shortish. Here's a list of the songs in the mix, which flows rather organically.

1. Solid Steel Theme ('Deluxe' Version) - DJ Food & DK
    2. Come Clean/Channel One Suite - Jeru The Damaja/The Cinematic Orchestra
    3. Beached - Neotropic
    4. X1 (Underdog Mix) - Ice
    5. Musica Negra (Black Music Accapella) - X-Ecutioners
    6. The Taking Of Pelham 123 (End Title) - David Shire
    7. Marionettes Inc. - Ray Bradbury
    8. The Terrorist (Accapella) - Mr Scruff/Motion Man
    9. Miles From Home (Underdog Mix) - Peshay
    10. Mirror On The Bathroom/Square-Off - The Beat/Mask
    11. Hotel Alyssa-Sousse, Tunishia - Sabu Martinez
    12. Ritmo 2 - Dominique Dalcan
    13. Lucy's Song - Flying Fish
    14. Calm Down (Acappella)/Assembly Line - Most Wanted/Commodores
    15. House Of Mirrors - David McCallum
    16. Let's Play Drums - DJ Food & DK
    17. Alphabet Aerobics (Cut Chemist 25 Minute Workout) - Blackalicous
    18. Glasshead - Four Tet
    19. Nobu - Herbie Hancock
    20. Amenity - Link
    21. Moments In Love - Art Of Noise
    22. The Colour Of Fire - Boards Of Canada
    23. Riding High - Faze O

19. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANTI POP CONSORTIUM END AFTER 8 YEARS
    Thursday, August 1, 2002

New York City's seminal avant-hip hop trio, the Anti Pop Consortium, officially announces its amicable dissolution. Having spent the last 8 years contributing some of the most adventurous and groundbreaking hip hop the world has ever seen, and most recently releasing an album with Warp Records, Arrythmia, to world-wide acclaim, APC has reached the final point in its journey. "Anti Pop wasn't initiated with the concrete, long term goal of doing music as a group. They are 3 dynamic, creative forces who are now moving forward individually to pursue solo projects that have long been in the works," says the group's manager, Amaechi Uzoigwe of Ozone Music. "They came together for a period of time to create something special and unique, which they succeeded in doing, and now they're focused on fulfilling their respective musical and creative visions. They have nothing but love and support for one another. They made their mark while they were here, and expanded the very notion of what hip hop music was or could be." Along the way, they garnered the support of artists like Radiohead, Dr. Dre, DJ Shadow, Pharoah Monche, and others, and the respect and admiration of critics and fans world-wide.

The spirit of APC will continue to live on in their solo manifestations. Group member Beans will be releasing a solo record for Warp early next year; M. Sayyid is finishing up his own solo album and will be releasing a single this fall; High Priest will be dropping a solo instrumental album on Warp, has produced an upcoming collaboration with free jazz prodigy Matthew Shipp, as well as done production and remixes for various artists and will be dropping solo material through Anti Pop Records, which he continues to helm; and engineer/producer E. Blaize will be working with all three.

The group would like to express their sincerest gratitude and appreciation to all who have supported them over the years.

20. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i got the news earlier today. actually, my friend and i were talking and i won't be suprised if it's for the better- now i won't have to skip over preist's tracks . . .

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, I'm not overly saddened by the news. Each member will continue what they've been doing and I'm sure they'll work together every now and then.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Jungle Brothers playing in NYC this week. Haven't listened to them in a while but I'm thinking about going. What's the JB sound nowadays?

23. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely HATED their last album VIP (it must be a love/hate thing because it did get some good reviews). Supposedly they've got a new album coming out...more stuff intended for the dance floor (which isn't automatically a bad thing...but). It's been getting torn apart on the okayplayer.com boards. If you get a chance, go into The Lesson, and do a search for the Jungle Brothers and I'm sure you'll be able to read about it.

24. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh...just got suckered into buying a crapload of CD's from hiphopsite.com again. Let's hope nobody steals it off my porch this time!

--Slum Village "Trinity"
    --Soul Position (RJD2 & Blueprint) "Unlimited EP"
    --Various "Urban Renewal Program"
    --DJ Jazzy Jeff "The Magnificent"
    --King Britt "The Philadelphia Experiment remixed"

25. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    I've been dirt poor and/or saving religiously, so I haven't bought a new album in awhile. I nearly bought the Mr. Lif a week ago...that or Fat Beats Vol. 1.

Of course, I think Kris will rob me and use my money to get RJD2 if I don't, so maybe I should run out and get that. Hmm.