OFFICIAL: Andre Gomes to Join FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by fdasilva, Jul 21, 2016.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    FC Barcelona announce the signing of Portuguese International Andre Gomes from Valencia. No fee was announced, but Benfica will get 25% of the transfer fee. The player has signed a 5 year contract.

Official announcement: https://www.fcbarcelona.cat/futbol/...2017/acord-amb-el-valencia-cf-per-andre-gomes

Congrats to Andre Gomes, another Portuguese player at a top club and at only 22 years old, lets hope he gets the opportunity to grow even further. El Classico should be more interesting now.

What are your thoughts?

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Spanish news site Marca says that Real Madrid's interest subsided in the last few hours as they learned James Rodriguez will be staying at the club, so it looks like the player joined Barça instead

3. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That midfield is so stacked. I'm guessing Arda Turan is out.

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This dude will not get playing time. I mean, I hope he does, but he won't. He's not on that level. Too streaky.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    For 35M € of course he will. It will come down with his ability to impress in the time given to him.

He fits Barça system better than any other team he could go to but I was hoping for him to be more consistent before nailing a colossal side like Barça. I hope this didn't came too early in his career.

Also, I have a feeling people are only judging him based on what happened in the Euro.

---Z--- repped this.
  6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #6 Sumol, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Apparently he cost Barca 50M € + bonuses.

They see something they really like in him.

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lets hope he doesn't flop, between him and Renato the future of our NT is looking pretty good.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It sounds like the deal is 35M + 15M in variables from what I'm reading.

Chess_Panther repped this.
  9. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I'm only basing my opinion on what I saw at Euro. I don't think he'll be getting a lot of game time at Barcelona and if he doesn't, it would be a bad career move. You have to be exceptional to start at Barcelona. Is he there? I don't think so. Renato to me was much more influential for Portugal and he is only 18. I hope I'm proven wrong.

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #10 Chess_Panther, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Not to sound arrogant, but there you have it. If you watched him play at Valencia you would realize how physically unfit and out of position he was playing for Portugal this summer. João Mário also looked like crap because of the latter.

Renato Sanches is not a creative midfielder unlike the two mentioned above. He's a box to box who is a freak of nature.

At the end it won't come down to his talent but rather how fast he'll adapt and not fall to pressure. He needs to do well in the first few matches.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

Our system on the NT doesn't really suit Andre Gomes, it might be OK against smaller teams but against stronger teams he'd need to track back a lot. If we played a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 I think he'd shine

12. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    As I said, that's just my opinion based on what I saw at Euro. I hope I'm wrong.

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I agree. I just don't see him breaking g through. Even at his best, he's not consistent enough. Period.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Andre Gomes looked unfit at EURO

but tbh the only leagues I watch are Portuguese and Spanish. I don't even really watch EPL much (don't like its lack of intelligence).

Andre Gomes impressed me a lot at Valencia when I watched him play last season.

Anyways shows how underrated and strong our team (Portugal) was when a bench player signs for Barca.

dipluso repped this.
  15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm not making André Gomes to be the next big thing in the world of football. He just doesn't deserve the slack he's getting at the moment. I'd rather for him to be the key star of a side like Valencia for a couple more years before peaking but it is what it is.

João Mário gets a free card out of jail but why can't he if you never watched him play outside of international level on a regular basis?

João Mário was average in his best at the Euro. I think we all can agree he's much better than Santos made him out to be. It's the very same thing for André Gomes (plus being unfit due to an injury he was recovering from).

I don't give a crap about the transfer fee. It's more acceptable than Pogba being worth over 100M €. What I'm worried about is his mental fortitude to overcome pressure so early in his career. If he fails to deliver on that aspect, he might become another Hugo Viana.

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iniesta is getting up there. He has a season to establish himself with the squad and the following would hopefully be his breakout season. He, Busquets and Rakitic would be a fantastic 3 man midfield

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Hopefully Gomes doesn't Quaresma this amazing opportunity with Barca.

18. Michael F

Michael F Member

Jun 22, 2016
    United States, NJ
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm sure that is what Barca is looking to do.

To be fair you can Google's any players "best moments" and they will look good on a highlight reel. Not saying Andre Gomes isn't good. He is. Just not as good as that video shows him to be. He has moments of brilliance. The one issue with most good players like him at such a young age is to show more of that brilliance more often and not just falling off because he cant handle the pressure. Once again only time will tell.

19. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can't figure out why some made it sound like he had a poor Euro. He did well against both Iceland and Austria, than got injured, after that we went more defensive for the knockout rounds.

20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was fine in the Euros. Renato was just better suited for that role. Barca is a good move for him. He's 22, competition is good.

Assuming Turan leaves, he's probably iniesta's backup, or at least fighting Rafinha for that role. Rakitic, Busquets and Sergi Roberto (completely underrated IMO) will be used for the other two midfield spots. And don't forget, Neymar and Rafinha are in Brasil for the olympics so he has time to get a leg up on Rafinha and get some PT if Iniesta moves up along Suarez and Messi.

Chess_Panther repped this.
  21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    New reports today suggest the deal could reach 70M euros.

35M euro fee + 20M in variables + 15M for individual / collective achievements

Michael F repped this.
  22. Michael F

Michael F Member

Jun 22, 2016
    United States, NJ
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    WOW! Barca payed 70M for him? Barca must REALLY see something in him. That is great for us.

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It could reach 70M, wouldn't be surprised if the extra 15M were for things like winning Ballon D'Or or Champions League.

But I do think it'll reach 50M at least.

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This will add all kinds of pressure on the kid.

25. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #25 Sumol, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Some of you guys need to relax and have confidence in our prospects. The sky always seem to be falling when they move onto a big club. Just relax. Andre Gomes was injured through 90% of the euro. Barcelona's scouting is significantly better than Madrid's, they know what they are getting.
    Rumors out there state that Rakitic is actually leaving, and Arda Turan we all know won't stay there.

Look for Gomes to have a prominent role in that team. He does fit their system nicely, Portugal wasn't playing a style that enables Andre Gomes flourish and not to mention he was playing injured most of the time.