OFFICIAL: Africans Abroad Thread

Discussion in 'Africa' started by soccer krazy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jagr68

jagr68 New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Re: Owusu-Abeyie

Will he get into the Holland squad or would it be a good move to switch to Ghana for him? And does anyone know if S. Kalou has agreed to play for Cote D'Ivoire?

2. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

He couldn't just walk into Ghana's squad, but he would add depth and tactical options. Their current regular wingers are Laryea Kingston and Muntari, both central midfielders rather than natural wingers.

Quincy paired with Frimpong or Dramani would allow for a 4-3-3 system, Le Roy himself said he'd actually favour that over a 4-4-2.

As for the Dutch team, I don't know. It's old news some European teams will cap certain players just to prevent them switching to another nationality. At the moment I don't think he'd make the squad if it weren't for the deadline a couple months from now.

3. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aghahowa to Wigan ?

http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/stories/story7698.html

4. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It's about time: Honour Joetex Asamoah Frimpong

2002 Top Scorer of Nigerian League with El-Kanemi

2003 and 2004 Joetex Asamoah Frimpong played for Enyimba International FC and ensured their two African CL wins, topping the ACL Eternal scorer list at the age of 22. First time ever a club defends the ACL title.

In 2005 he unfortunately had to pass because of a longstanding injury.

In 2006 he led his new side CSS SFaxien to the CL Final and added 4 goals to his record.

Joetex Asamoah Frimpong still leads the Eternal ACL Scorer List.

5. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
  6. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Re: Asamoah Gyan?

Could you please elaborate on his brother's "issues"?

7. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Re: It's about time: Honour Joetex Asamoah Frimpong

This player is total class who really had a tough 2006. He was sooo close to appearing in the FIFA World Club Championship but lost in the finals to Al Ahly. He also missed out on the World Cup due to injury. I've no doubt Frimpong would be in one of the top leagues right now had he been in Germany.

He's very strong and physical and would fit well in the EPL. I'm confident he will eventually make it into one of the top leaugues sooner rather than later.

He was so popular back when he played in Nigeria that they actually invited him to play for their u-23 squad not realizing that he wasn't Nigerian :D

8. Akanchawaman

Akanchawaman New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Re: Arsenal's African Stars

U think Kolo Toure is really a star at Arsenal??? As for me he is a good player but not a star...

I think the best African player who played at Arsenal is still Kanu . . .

But Adebayor can even better then Kanu cause he is still young and got the skills too and we hope he can be better...

9. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA

Kolo Toure is definitely a star. He's been an automatic choice on the team sheet for a while, is probably their best defender (Gallas when healthy is up there too) and is the third choice for captain behind Henry and Gilberto Silva. He'll probably be captain one day and as he's only 25 he will only get better over the next few years. Just because he plays as a defender and not a glamorous attacker does not make him less of a star.

10. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Wow, of course Kolo is a star!

Kolo is recognised as a world class player and is arguably the best central defender in the world now...and many agree with this.

11. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
  12. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA

wThere have been some calls to replace Kingston since he hasn't played well or much in Russia recently. But apparently he played well enough for Hearts to pick him, although, as was pointed out, he'll play there as a central midfielder, not wide. Ghana's other wide option right now is Haminu Dramani, last seen taking the ball from Claudio Reyna at the world cup and scoring. He's very young (he'll be 21 in April, same as Quincy) and was thought by many Ghana fans to be crap before the world cup but has risen in everyone's estimation with his play there and since. The two are very comparable, but right now most Ghana fans give the edge to Dramani, who is faster, has better goal scoring ability, is a better defender, and can play on either side of the field in midfield or as a winger. Also, Le Roy loves him. So Owusu-Abeyie right now would not be the starter, but would make a 23 man squad if Ghana had to name one right now for a tournament.

Also, Dramani will be with the Olympic squad next week and not with the national team, so if Owusu-Abeyie shows up he will have a good chance to impress.

13. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Africans in Club vs. Country struggles

While the country vs. club tug-of-war happens at all the big clubs with players from every country, I feel like clubs try to stop African players from playing for their country more than European players. Here's the latest issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/6330011.stm

Often they have an issue with travel distance but this friendly is in London so that's not an excuse. I understand that the clubs don't want the players to play but in the end they really have to let them go if Nigeria calls them up. I can't imagine Newcastle and Chelsea trying to pull something like this with their English players. I mean, Chelsea might request Lampard not play or something but I doubt they would just tell McClaren he was tired and wouldn't be showing up. It's such a double standard with non-English and especially African players.

14. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If you guys don't mind, let's try to keep ANYTHING pertaining to African players playing abroad in this one thread: that way everything looks more organized. :)

Metro

16. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

But where have all the threads gone? I cant find the ones that were moved?

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    They will of been merged in date order of the posts being made with this thread.

18. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  19. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  20. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Cameroon player Daniel Kome who plays for spanish team Mallorca has been loaned out to second division spanish team Real Valladolid

21. Movistar

Movistar New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Damietta-Egypt
    Egyptian Mohamed Zidan first hat-trick in the bondesliga

http://www.mainz05.de/index.php?id=...ww.mainz05.de/typo3temp/pics/h_a67a890dd1.jpg