Official: 2020 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Dec 5, 2019.

1. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Los Dos just announced first roster moves : https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/...-decisions-ahead-2020-usl-championship-season

Gone : Jose Hernandez, Acheampong, Requejo and Tchilao. Iloski, Fiddes and Shultz are out of contract but remain in negotiations with the club.

Roster at the moment :

GOALKEEPERS (2): Eric Lopez, Abraham Romero

DEFENDERS (3): Nick DePuy, Omar Ontiveros, Mauricio Cuevas

MIDFIELDERS (6): Carlos Harvey, Adrian Vera, Adam Saldaña, Ivan Gutierrez, Kai Koreniuk, Jorge Hernandez

FORWARDS (3): Frank Lopez, Augustine Williams, Mohammed Kamara

The Galaxy website listed Jorge Hernandez as a defender, in fact he is an offensive-minded midfielder so I corrected.

2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Not surprised by who's gone as I don't see any of the players above having a future at the club. Jose Hernandez and Requejo could have some utility in a few USL teams.

Hopefuly we will re-sign Iloski who's a special talent but needs to stay fit. I'm also glad we exercised Carlos Harvey's option, but I don't know if he will really stay at the club since he was on loan.

I'm surprised we exercised Frank Lopez's option after his loan to San Antonio. He'll deliver in USL but I don't see him having any future with the first team.

Players to watch next year : Eric Lopez, Nick DePuy, Kai Koreniuk. Probable first team players one day. Keep an eye on Carlos Harvey, Jorge Hernandez and Mohammed Kamara (and Brian Iloski if he stays) too.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Does signing with the GII preclude those players from playing with the senior side for league or US Open games?

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. You can loan down (G to GII), but not up, for any official competition games.

barroldinho repped this.
  5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Sorry TrickHog, but I think it's not true according to the MLS rules : https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

We did it a few times in the last couple of years :

- we played Nick DePuy and Kai Koreniuk in Leagues Cup this season.
    - last year some USL players played/were on the bench in the USOC (I remember Requejo, Frank Lopez, Zubak who was not signed to the first team at this time, maybe others...).
    - in 2015 we signed Dave Romney (and Ari Lassiter too IIRC) to short-term contracts for a MLS game at Houston.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Following up. Can the Galaxy still sign DePuy to a senior club contract, if they do it before the MLS and USL seasons start? With Gonzalez and Steres as the presumed starters at CB that leaves Skjelvik and possibly Feltscher as subs and that's not exactly comforting.

7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Easily I guess. They did it with Steres, Vom Steeg and a few others over the last couple of years, including Zubak last season (he was even signed after the season started).

My guess (an hopeful guess TBH) is that they will replace Polenta with a new CB and DePuy will replace Hilliard-Arce as domestic cheap depth.

73Bruin repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #8 73Bruin, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Just read on the MLS official site that Milan Iloski from UCLA is a RSL homegrown player. Since his brother and GII player Brian was an Galaxy Academy player, I would have assumed that Milan should have been as well, at least with the Galaxy having territorial rights for Escondido. Did he not make the academy team?

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High School/Club -- Three-star recruit from Top Drawer Soccer ... ranked No. 146 in the Top Drawer Soccer IMG 150 ... played for Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 ... competed in 36 matches, making 33 starts, scored 16 goals and recorded 15 assists.
    https://uclabruins.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/milan-iloski/9171

11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Thanks for your reply. As you might guess from my handle, I am a UCLA grad and have watched a fair number of UCLA soccer games (more so the women than the men recently) so I have watched Milan, Eric and Brian play there. My question wasn't so much about their UCLA careers it was more about the Academy system.

It was my understanding that each MLS team had some degree of territorial rights with respect to homegrown players (I vaguely recall this being a 75 mile radius for the Galaxy). Other MLS teams were prohibited from signing up recruits within this territory. Since Brian came up with the Galaxy academy and the Iloski hometown of Escondido is within this radius, I would have thought that the Galaxy also had these territorial "rights" to Milan. I was hoping someone could explain how he became an RSL Academy player instead of a Galaxy academy player.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just a guess but I'd have to think if the local academy didn't pick a player up, then at some point another would be allowed to?

Otherwise your entire domestic career would be determined by whichever catchment area you resided in.

73Bruin repped this.
  13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree with your conclusion. However, it does raise some questions about the evaluation process. I was hoping somebody could tell me that he was evaluated or not. I wonder if this came as a result of what was effectively a merger of the Galaxy and Chivas development programs.

14. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    TrickHog repped this.
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Dr.Phil and natfaninla repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    skydog repped this.
  18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Los Dos begin their season on Sunday, at Rio Grande Valley FC (Houston affiliate). I expect they'll announce a few signings in the upcoming week.

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    TrickHog repped this.
  22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Dos social has been pretty quiet. You would barley know the season is starting

ShortyMac, TrickHog and LEM-LAG repped this.
  23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The USL website has updated the G2 roster : https://www.uslchampionship.com/la-galaxy-ii-roster

Los Dos have heavily signed players from the Academy : GKs Carlos Zuniga and Anthony Ramos, defenders Jalen Neal and Marcus Ferkranus, midfielder Josue Varela, and forward Andre Ochoa. There is also Jesus Vazquez, who (I believe) is a Mexican (US-born) 24 years old defender, who was with Atlante recently (https://www.transfermarkt.fr/jesus-vazquez/leistungsdaten/spieler/553007).

A few things to note :
    - a few first team players are also here : Eric Lopez, Diedie Traore, Gordon Wild, and the two new HG signings Cameron Dunbar and Jonathan Perez. I don't think they are loaned to Los Dos for the season but maybe they'll have a role on Sunday?
    - Kai Koreniuk is not on this roster. If he's not with the first team or with G2, where is he?
    - defenders Nate Shultz and Justin Fiddes were reportedly negotiating new contracts with G2, they are not here.

To sum up, Los Dos are going very young this season.

24. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Young seemed to be the trend at the end of the season last year too. When the DTK hires took over Los Dos towards the middle-end of the season the team started to look a lot better. I’m excited to see what they can do with a full season. Hopefully it will push our player development to the next level.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    First game of the season is right around the corner, with G2 facing Rio Grande Valley FC on the road today at 4:30 PM PT. Hopefully Los Dos will give us better feelings about the LA Galaxy this weekend...

TrickHog repped this.