Official 2019 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It was just a friendly... But what on earth makes you think things will change in a high stake WCQ with plenty of time?

1. What is the type of football Moriyasu is trying to achieve?

2. Does he have the brain and the balls to change tactics during the game?

3. Why does he always make such late substitutions until we are behind?

4. Why does he continue to pick out of form “big name” players based on reputation? How can you justify the selection of Asano, Sasaki, Miura, Kawashima in a friendly? What was the point in persisting with Shibasaki and Nakajima in a friendly when both are having difficulty at their clubs.

Samurai Warrior and seolseol repped this.
  2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Before yesterday's loss it didn't cross anyone's mind to sack him, now it's obvious all of a sudden ? And people comparing him to Nishino as if Nishino hadn't been sacked from his two previous jobs for nearly relegating each team ?
    Football is made of highs and lows. When he took over last year, the first few matches were excellent and the football hadn't been that good in a while. Now we're in a slump, the same are experiencing in their respective clubs. As expected, because it happens every year, 70% of them ride the bench in Europe. He's got a situation to deal with and he certainly deserves to stay in place for the time being.

Frankly there hasn't been one coach people on this board didn't want to sack anyway.

3. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What a vague generalising response.

It’s been obvious for some time Moriyasu lacks any game management. It’s become clear in the last few games he’s made no improvement.

And he deserves to stay in place for the time being...for what? Absolutely dreadful games calling up horribly out of form players.

seolseol repped this.
  4. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    It is a fantasy to believe that there is vastly superior players being ignored, the same fantasy that keeps people creaming their pants every new season after two three matches because our players scored one goal even though the rest of the story is always the same.

So far the coach has led us to the Asian Cup final and we're easily dominating our qualifying group. There's no need to sack him just yet, we'll see when the serious stuff begins.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Moriyasu just bungled the way he handled the rosters (both A and U22 teams) during this window, though from a logistical standpoint it made sense on some level. He was clearly spread thin and didn’t have enough time to see either the U22 or the friendly squad, making one wonder if the Olympic team should just be delegated entirely to someone else.

The players called up for the Venezuela match are all valid options to at least get a look, but playing them together against a strong and cohesive opponent was such a bad idea to the point that we didn’t really learn much about them individually.

Plus the team is too dependent on certain players to function. With Osako banged up and the JFA needing to mend fences with Werder in advance of the Olympics, the coach has been forced to try striker options, but the same needs to happen in midfield with Shibasaki out of form. Why call up Oshima and leave him on the bench?

Samurai Warrior, mushu21_2 and seolseol repped this.
  6. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Do you care to name the players that people "keep creaming their pants every new season"?

Some of us want to see new players who have been impressive for more than "two or three matches".

Kyogo Furuhashi has been in career best form this season and gets 45 minutes only because we were behind by four goals at half time.

And yes, there are superior players than some of those who stepped on the pitch against Venezuela. Specifically, everyone knows a guy like Sasaki has been an average J League player and at 29 years of age this will never change, if not he will become worse.

"We're easily dominating our qualifying group". Right then, good to know we can still beat Tajikistan and Mongolia with our best European-based players.

7. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    What did Furuhashi do in his 45 minutes ? Nothing. And I'm not saying he's a bad player, but that the excitement over certain players will not translate into mindblowing performances.
    Yoshinori Muto was a pretty similar case though he was even better when he was first called. What did he amount to ? Nothing.

Some players like Sasaki fall under what you call "coaches choices". All coaches have players they trust even though the fans don't understand. Didier Deschamps was world champion with Matuidi left winger and Sissoko as a midfield dynamo.
    That being said, Sasaki has never started or played in a match that mattered so it's not worth getting mad, it's not like we have a monster left back waiting on the sidelines.

There's a lot of work and improvements to be made and the coach's track record indicates he can adjust quite well. There's the Olympics next year and he has to juggle with many players eligible to play with both teams so I think he deserves a little bit more credit for the kind of work he's supposed to deliver.

"Right then, good to know we can still beat Tajikistan and Mongolia with our best European-based players."
    So you wanna fire someone because he wins 4-0 instead of 8-0 ?

8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "We will win a easy group against Mongolia and Tajikistan, then get smashed by Venezuela, everything is cool"... Aahhh the naivity.

9. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Furuhashi is in career best form for Vissel but does nothing in 45 minutes when his team is 4-0 behind and therefore failed?

If every player was judged on their first 45 minutes of debut then god save Japanese football.

We don’t need mind blowing performances. No one said this. But many fans would rather see a raw talent who has been consistently good in the J League over other players who have never delivered despite endless opportunities.

Guys like Sasaki, Asano, Nagai, Miura who have consistently shown they are not good enough for international football get repeated opportunities. But suddenly Furuhashi is a reject after 45 minutes? He would’ve had an assist had Nagai not sh!t his pants in front of goal.

10. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    This point is absolutely valid for current situation.

11. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I think the thing is calling up new players is that some players did not really impress even when called up and Moriyasu can't just keep testing new players with every friendly. He needs a stable core so as to build chemistry within the team. Still, players like Sasaki and Kawashima should really be left out imo.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Kato > no one said he should never be called up again but he was mediocre just like the rest of his teammates.

13. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Do you mean Furuhashi?

From my perspective I didn’t think so, his off-the-ball movements, positioning, the way he pulled opposing defenders towards him to help creating chances were very great.

He almost had an assist few seconds after he came in, which one of his teammates wasted, and created another for Nagai, which was wasted too. He placed himself nicely in scoring positions more than once, and almost had a chance in 1-on-1 vs the Venezuelan goalkeeper which a late tackle from a Venezuelan goalkeeper saved it.

We rarely can expect such things from a player making his debut in such circumstances. Aren’t we?

He was the main reason why Japan’s play improved in the second half by preoccupying Venezuelan defenders and allowing his teammates (especially Nakajima) more time with the ball near Venezuela’s penalty-area.

Chill down man, there is no need to be contrarian and pretend to be the smart and wise by trolling in such way in every single discussion.

14. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Again, your clearly biased if you think Furuhashi was “mediocre just like the rest of his team mates”.

I repeat myself.

Why judge this guy on debut when he played for 45 minutes when 4-0 behind.

Why compare his mediocrity to his team mates who have had 5-10 times more chances, only to show they really are mediocre at best? Even a guy like Sasaki who has been mediocre at best even in, like you said, low key friendlies.

15. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He will continue to incorrectly paraphrase what you say to perfectly suit his clearly biased and condescending agenda. Meanwhile ignoring anything valid you ask of him.

This is nothing new.

seolseol repped this.
  16. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    No one's being condescending, everytime something goes wrong people wanna sack the coach and believe that it would be much better with x or y on the pitch (most of the time the fantasy dies on its own a bit later). Yes Furuhashi was mediocre, he botched a few controls, took too long to shoot when he was in a good position, and once again, no one said that because he had a bad match, he was a bad player. The team barely had any chance in the second half, and the lone goal came from a deflected shot. I think we all have higher standards than that.
    Anyway he will most likely get called up again in the future and so will Nakagawa or Onaiwu, other guys who could also gave played.

However, the reason why Nakajima was so good in the second half is because he decided to do everything himself. He went very far back to collect the ball because his midfielders couldn't get it to it, and constantly drove it forward. He deserves the credit, not anyone else.

Don't lose sight that the team made of : Gonda - Sakai, Yoshida, Tomiyasu, Nagatomo - Hashimoto, anyone - Doan, Minamino, Nakajima - Osako
    is usually pretty good and the coach will probably try to improve upon that base, using Shoji for instance if he ever plays football again, or eventually replacing Shibasaki when he will be left with no other option.

17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    @Saku² What do you think a forum like this is made for?

If people does not discuss and express their thoughts about formations, players selection, management of the team, what do you think they are supposed to discuss then? Do you want them to discuss how sexy a certain player is and post pictures of a certain player when his genitals are almost seen obviously? Or do you want them to post pictures of their pets?

I am watching football before you are even born (existed), and I can tell you that discussing such issues is what people are doing in football forums, fans-sites, Yahoo groups (if you are old enough you will remember them), and other platforms.

We may have different perspectives about a certain thing, like how was Furuhashi’s performance in his debut, from my perspective he was good from yours isn’t. This is OK.
    However, there is no need to try to belittle other members’ opinions and try to shut them up.

I strongly disagree with people here saying that Moriyasu shall be sacked, and I was the first to respond against such opinions, but I did not go further in a quest to silence them or belittle their opinions (even if I think they are not valid).

At the end of the day, our discussions here will not have an impact on the real world (Japan NT), it is not like the people in JFA is following every single post here and will fire Moriyasu based on A’s or B’s comments.

Again, chill down, be easy-going, and don’t try to force your opinion on others. Let them say what they want and discuss with them decently.

OneiroPhobia and seolseol repped this.
  18. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I still think the best call would have been Stojkovic.
    And given how he's been mistreated in China (he has just been suspended because he criticized something), he'd be still a nice choice. Japanese history in his past, but European soul.

19. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't know if you're on the same page with me, but at 27 years old, Gaku Shibaski might be one of the biggest regrets Japan will ever had. Talent-wise, I haven't seen better players than him in his position.

20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whats going on with him?
    Never getting a good club situation might be one answer.

21. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Shock horror everyone has an opinion about the Japanese national football team on a football specific forum!

Like I’ve said twice, if players were judged as harshly in their first 45 minutes of their international career as you have judged Furuhashi then nearly none of the players you listed above will be playing for the national team in 2019.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Hmm no one's stopped you from expressing your opinion it seems, relax.
    And idk why you keep thinking I'm judging Furuhashi for the rest of his days, he's a good player.

23. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    How about you stop being triggered by anyone expressing their opinion by responding in a condescending “I know everything” manner.

It took you a while to finally write you have no bias against Furuhashi. If anyone read your last several posts 99% would say you have an agenda against the player.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  24. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is nothing unique to this specific forum, nor is this reaction specific to this country or even sport of football.

Pochettino went from experiencing the final of Champions League football to sacking in six months.

I would think it’s normal for people to genuinely question the capability of a manager when results are not great and he continues to pick out of form or disinterested players without providing an alternative. Especially when this manager is willingly taking on two jobs at the same time.

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Pochettino had an almost 5 years run with Tottenham though. He wasn't sacked after 3 consecutive losses one year after he was appointed.

And no one is triggered or has any agenda. I say my piece and you say yours, there's no problem. Last post on the matter for me.