Official 2019 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagai is not out of the picture. Moriyasu opted to take the younger strikers to Copa instead.

They should always be trying new and preferably younger options and hope that some of them make the leap up in level. Otherwise they will be screwed if Osako falls off a cliff prior to the WC, as with Maeda circa 2013.

seolseol repped this.
  2. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    oh wow

teioh and datschge repped this.
  3. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I'm not a Moriyasu hater but regardless of whether it's Japan's full strength or not, anything less than a championship is a failure for Japan.

Keep in mind that Japan won the Asian Cup with almost a B-team in 2000 and 2004. And it doesn't matter where the Asian Cup is held. Japan won 2 titles in the Middle East.

This competition is a mickey mouse one but the way they lost the title still disgusts me. Did you watch their Instagram after the Iran game? They were over-relaxed and some idiots were even dancing as if they had already won the tournament.

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/football/jfootball/2019/02/08/post_28/

Former Japan manager Ivica Osim also criticized their unprofessional attitude and he expected Japan to struggle in the final after seeing their lazy warm-ups before the match.

By the way, someone was moaning about Japan's performance but they always tend to play result-oriented football at the Asian Cup because of poor preparation and fielding an experimental squad.

The collapse started from a mistake by a clown goalkeeper that would only happen in Sunday League football.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  4. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    LOL. Are you Brazilian? Japan is slowly changing. It's not uncommon anymore to see athletes with foreign background represent Japan.

Rui Hachimura (basketball, half Beninese) selected in the first round of the 2019 NBA draft.
    Yu Darvish (baseball, half Iran ian) 5-time all-star selection in MLB.
    Naomi Osaka (tennis, half Haitian) current number one ranked female player in the world.
    Sani Brown (sprinter, half Ghanaian) became the youngest finalist ever in the 200-meter sprint at the world championships, beating Usain Bolt's record.

Of course the football team has had players with foreign background too.

Mike Havenaar (full Dutch) - 2013 Confederations Cup
    Gotoku Sakai (half German) - 2014 and 2018 World Cup
    Sho Sasaki (half English) - 2019 Asian Cup
    Daniel Schmidt (half American) - 2019 Asian Cup
    Musashi Suzuki (half Jamaican) - made his debut for Japan in March

They even had a Black Miss Japan a few years ago. Get used to it.

YakYak, datschge, Dax and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd understand if it was a naturalization. But Onaiwu is born and raised in Japan. He's a true japanese.

YakYak, teioh, Whispered11 and 4 others repped this.
  6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd like to see Fujimoto awarded one cap. Just one, since he has covered a long road from JFL.

YakYak repped this.
  7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats how the world look like now, good or bad, you gotta take it!

8. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good call.

9. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Oh my fecking god SeolSeol
    What was that last sentence meant to mean?

Anyway I like this yamatoship dude. With that tennosei fashizumesque name I thought he was a troll, instead it seems he know his business.

10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do you think?

11. verde água

verde água Member

São Paulo
    Oct 4, 2017
    São Bernardo do Campo
    I can't get it. Most of you started following japanese football thanks to the love of mangas and animes, right? I can't understand those people who loves japanese manga/anime and yet wants the original japanese population to be gradually replaced by foreign-originated people. Foreigners doesn't make manga or anime, this is a very japanese people thing.

It were the japanese people who built the wonderful country that is Japan, not foreigners. The soul and identity of Japan are the japanese people, who have been inhabiting that land for millenniums, since the very beginning of human civilization, and the japanese people are the soul and identity of Japan. So yes, Japan and the Japanese people deserve to have their NT represented by japanese people.

That's what all people in the world wants from their NTs, just look at when France won the WC last year, most french did not even celebrate because their NT was not made of the people who built that wonderful country through millenniums and thus were not the soul and identity of France.

Those foreign-originated people born in Japan can be japanese only in terms of nationality, but in their essence they are definitely not japanese, Havenaar and Onaiwu are clearly an European and an African, respectively.

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why you keep beating this dead horse. Maybe Japanese football fans get a say in who represents their national sporting culture? Regardless of what you may think of their tactical value, I'd say that the likes of Alex Santos, Tulio, and Ruy Ramos are some of the most fondly remembered figures of the Samurai Blue. I certainly don't see many sports fans over there lamenting the rise of a Hachimura or Osaka in their respective pursuits, much the contrary as they represent the country with personality and upstanding character in addition to their talents. And I say this having been born in Japan to two ethnic Japanese parents, who consumes Japanese print and online media daily and worked there for a number of years.

This whole idea of Japanese culture and society being based on a concept or state of isolation and ethnic purity is total nonsense. Despite the small numbers of ethnic minorities, nobody would claim that Japanese/Yamato people would have invented their cultural assets in a complete vacuum - if anything Japanese culture is based on rapidly absorbing and mutating imported assets, and being a "Japanese person" has more to do with shared experience than anything genetic. Note how Japan has a more distant relationship with its international diaspora than say, China or Korea.

YakYak, teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Oh god he is serious.

YakYak and teioh repped this.
  14. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan’s NT squad for Paraguay and Myanmar matches will be announced on Friday 30th of September.

15. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Damn, so we'll find them out after the games!
    :p:ROFLMAO:

16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Haha, it is August not September.

Kindly, edit the post.

17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Squad for matches against Paraguay and Myanmar:

GK
    Kawashima
    Gonda
    Schmidt

DF
    Nagatomo
    Yoshida
    H. Sakai
    Ueda
    Anzai
    Hatanaka
    Tomiyasu

MF
    Haraguchi
    Shibasaki
    W. Endo
    J. Ito
    H. Hashimoto
    Nakajima
    Minamino
    Itakura
    Doan
    T. Kubo.

FW
    Nagai
    Osako
    M. Suzuki

—————————

No surprises or new comers; no Furuhashi nor Kamada.

23 men squad with 19 European-based player, which is the highest in JNT history.

Hatanaka, Hashimoto, Nagai, and Suzuki are the only 4 J-Leaguers in this squad.

Haraguchi instead of Kamada is a decision to go for the tried and trusted instead of the form and potential, but I believe that Harguchi’s ability to play as a wing-back in a 3-4-3 (3-6-1) formation might be the reason he was picked up ahead of Kamada.

Good Luck.

teioh and seolseol repped this.
  18. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    they should’ve left out many of the euro-based players. kubo, tomiyasu, doan, endo are settling into new clubs just give them time at their clubs over a meaningless friendly (but i guess sponsor $$$).

the last thing they need is to fly back across the world to play against myanmar...

actually reward the j-based guys like furuhashi, onaiwu, fukumori etc.

YakYak, Keren, datschge and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They will face Paraguay in a friendly before facing Myanmar, so it is a good chance to test Japan’s full strength team (supposedly) against a South American team (again), and to kick star their qualification in a strong note by assuring that they will collect full 3 points with a high goal difference.

If Japan already secured their qualification by next March and Moriyasu still insists on calling European-based players against weak Asian teams such as Mongolia and Myanmar, then your argument will be well-placed.

20. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As for calling-up new rising J-Leaguers, I think we can expect to see Furuhashi, Onaiwu, and the likes in the East Asian championship next December.

21. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    moriyasu japan have already played three south american countries at the copa america plus kirin cup friendlies against bolivia and colombia. in fact, every game since the asian cup has involved south or central american teams. how many more "good chances" does moriyasu need?

there is nothing more to test by playing the "big names" in a meaningless game. what's more important is giving these guys (and i forgot nakajima) time to cement first team football at their clubs and keep them fresh.

we do not need the euro-based players to beat myanmar with a high goal difference. a motivated and non-complacent japan with predominantly j-based guys should have no problem against myanmar.

seolseol repped this.
  22. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Guess Kamada does some weird stuff with Moriyasu's daughter...

Musashi has connections, I can't see any other explanation.

And Haraguchi... :unsure:

seolseol repped this.
  23. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Musashi probably is being called to anger racist japanese dude as the fascist up there.

Anyway I hope Nakajima will find his lost self ripping apart Paraguay defence.

24. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Only 4 of our NT squad this time are J.League...

25. verde água

verde água Member

São Paulo
    Oct 4, 2017
    São Bernardo do Campo
    By 2022, all JNT's players will probably belong to european clubs.

:ROFLMAO: