Official: 2019 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Beautiful Gamer, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I would agree with you if Efra wasn't actually playing at all when available, but he's been gone with Mexican int'l duty for a ton of our games. We could refuse that, of course, but my guess is they think it's good for him and they want him to see the benefit of living close to Mexico for purposes of call-ups.

Plus, if Efra really is available and can play, the new Alvarez can play out wide too. I don't think Efra is as viable an option out wide.

barroldinho repped this.
  2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Baxter describes him as a forward, but I think that's because it's on his Wiki page. I'm not sure that's really where he plays, although an attacking midfielder can act like a withdrawn striker and a left or right wing can play like a forward with some teams and formations.

hav77 repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key to me is if GBS and/or DTK have personal knowledge of him. In particular if GBS does. His Polenta signing has been a home run and I like the chances of this guy being useful as well. It's a loan with option to purchase right? So low risk and maybe even allows some continued flexibility in the summer transfer window.

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m inclined to give DtK/GbS the benefit of the doubt.

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think he means "forward" as in "can play anywhere on the front line", so striker, wing-forward/attmid, in the hole etc.

6. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Antuna was a huge gamble but he has worked out so far. If this kid can contribute half of what Antuna has, it’ll be worth the one year loan.

The reality is that we won’t get a game changing addition until next year when RA and Ibra are potentially gone.

My only hope is that this new kid has the ability to unlock a defense with a through pass. We’ve badly needed that all season long. I also hope that he can be a calming presence. Cienfuegos and Juninho will always be my favorite Galaxy players because they knew when to put their foot over the ball and slow down the play and momentum of the other team. Couldn’t help but miss that every time we turned the ball over on Sunday.

If this kid works out, I’m going to consider buying a DtK jersey :p

hav77, JPAR, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAM TO TAM, thank you Ma'am.

I assume this helps the deal for Alvarez go through...

barroldinho, Skevin, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's a purity to this transaction that I enjoy. Who needs players? We'll just trade money for money.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like there have been other MLS GAM to TAM deals in the past. I wonder how the exchange rate has trended.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked it up - this seems to be about the norm in the exchange rate between GAM (more valuable) and TAM.

For those unfamiliar - GAM can be used for anything - it's basically extra salary cap. TAM can only be used to buy down salaries that would otherwise be DP contracts, and also has some other small limitations that GAM doesn't. So basically we gained an extra 100k towards bringing in this player by trading our more versatile cash for Minnesota's more restricted cash.

barroldinho and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the whole, I think Corona hasn't been bad, and I think he is still settling in, so still hopeful. But man, I thought he was absolutely one of our worst players last Saturday, which is what struck me about the "based on current form" comment.

Beirut repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I personally think he's been very good in his role and while he didn't cover himself in glory in the second half against RSL, it seems a little harsh to use that as the measure of his current form.

But I respect your opinion.

mbar, GalaxyOne and WarGalaxy repped this.
  13. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I really like this move. He isn't that expensive, he comes on a one year loan with option to buy, and he is in his prime. It seems to me we are creating a highly skilled passing team that is athletic and can run. We haven't seen this type of Galaxy team in a looong time.

I wonder how many other quality Argentinian players there are for $500-700K that we can get?

14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a highlight video of Favio. He looks like a very good passer, with good range. Seems to play in the middle. Not really a goalscorer. Maybe like a poor man's Michael Bradley. Or perhaps GBS is a genius and he is equal to Bradley at a fraction of the cost.

Will be interesting to see how he slots into the lineup. My guess would be Lletget goes out wide, and Favio plays attacking CM.

It's as if Zlatan told GBS: "Bring me player who can pass ball..."

barroldinho and mbar repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider that Lleget is likely going to the Gold Cup so if this guy can play the pint in the midfield trio that’s a plus during that tourney.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  16. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barroldinho, skydog, Skevin and 7 others repped this.
  17. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To recognize our cross border nature, TAM is paid in Loonies. Thus the exchange rate differential.

kaburu, barroldinho, Beakmon FC and 2 others repped this.
  19. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing MN is in Canada, so they're cool with it. ;)

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  20. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone is curious about our rumored signing Favio Alvarez, here's a really good video showcasing his skills:

I can't speak for his current fitness level or his general level of intensity throughout the game, but based on the video I think he addresses a lot of our needs in the final third. Combined with our pretty great midfield trio (I think maybe he'd slot into the AM position and Lletget moves out wide) and GBS to get the best out of him, I am very excited to get Favio on board and see what he can do in MLS! Let's get the deal done already!

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know beware the hi light video but...

Me gusto mucho. Looks great with ball at his feet. Excellent passer. Some confident finishes too.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Zlatan maybe, nobody on the team can execute that pass at 2:15 I think :eek:. So that's a plus, we haven't had a really exceptional passer /10 since Gerrard left. As stated, though, it's highlights so can't draw too many other conclusions (and I don't know much about the Argentine league). But on the strength of DtK/GBS' other moves and signings so far, looks very promising.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume GBS coached against him with Boca so he should have a pretty decent idea about his abilities.

This isn’t Pete Vagenas signing Ciman or svevrligfhhf basically sight unseen.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a rough comparison I checked out fivethirtyeight.com rankings using their SPI (soccer power index, similar to but more sophisticated than ESPN SPI).

MLS, best to worst: SPI's range from 55 (LAFC) to 25 (COL). Median 39 (DCU).
    World club rankings (out of 648): 156th to 523rd, median 349.

SuperLiga: SPI's 61 (River Plate) to 37 (Gimnasia). Median 39 (Talleres).
    World rankings: 109th to 383rd, median 274.

So overall the Argentinian league is a bit stronger than MLS from top to bottom.

Worth noting: Galaxy and Atletico Tucuman rated almost identically with the Argentinian club barely edging out LAG with SPI of 43.6 to our 42.9. And they rank 272 vs our 287.

But now that we have Favio? :)

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Based on our needs, I would see him playing in front of JDS and Corona and Lletget sliding out right.

ProudNatRN repped this.