Official 2019 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Miyazawa and Ueki, yes, but no Nagano. Has Hina Sugita taken her place for good? :cautious:

Also, it's quite interesting that Naomoto is back, despite the fact that lately, in Freiburg, she only uses to play 5-10 minutes each match as a late sub.

The injured players (Ikeda, Yamashita, Miyake) are back, except Mizuho Sakaguchi (by the way, no Sakaguchi at all in the team, since Moeno hasn't been called either): I wonder if Takakura wants Mizuho to complete her recovery, before calling her, of if she's even considering cutting her. :eek: I guess, she anyway wants to see her play some match in the league, before having her back in NT.

it's interesting that Endo and Kobayashi are back: they probably had a good enough SheBelieves Cup to grant them a second look. Same thing for Oga and Matsubara (she's now listed as a DF: does Takakura really means it?).

No Yamane, but the Spanish League is at its last 5-6 matchdays, I guess, and maybe the club prefers to retain her? Same problem for Utsugi, I guess: NWSL is in pre-season, they know they're probably going to miss her during the World Cup, so maybe there is an agreement with the club. Kumagai is anyway there, although OL has the domestic league and the Champions' League to fight for.

Interesting absences: Ariyoshi, and, once again, Mina Tanaka and Iwabuchi (although Sugasawa is back: is it a sign that Yuika is on the bubble and Takakura wants to evaluate her, while the other two FWs are lock-in? :cautious:).

2. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Nagano is now playing in Nadeshiko League 2. I am not sure how she could be called up. I hope things go well for her at Saitama and they get promoted.

Matsubara did look good for the half she played in defence, but a half of football does not make a great defender. I will be curious to see where she lines up for Nojima tomorrow. I wish I could go to the match, but I have to work.

I am not sure about Naomoto. It would be nice to see her play.

I think the two central midfielders for the world cup (again my opinion here) will be Utsugi and Sugita. I assume Takakura is giving Ariyoshi a break.

3. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #603 hirohiro, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    So it's fair to say that Nagano is not going to make the WWC squad this time. I thought it was a long shot anyway and not sure she was ever considered as a realistic option.

I'm glad to see Sugita is called up again. She was one of the better performers in the She Believes Cup, and she looked like she can cope. Our options for that central midfield is very weak at the moment. I think she's got a real chance to get into the squad. To be honest, apart from Utsugi, I'm not sure who'd be nailed on in the central midfield.

I was surprised Miyazawa wasn't involved in She Believes Cup. I thought she had the best chance making into the squad from the latest U20 team. Unlike Nagano and others, Miyazawa has proven herself in the Nadeshiko league. Although international games may require different qualities from the Nadeshiko League, I think you need at least some positive performances in the league. She's technically good, with good pace, and physically stronger than normal Japanese players - just need experiences.

As for Iwabuchi and Tanaka, I really don't know what Takakura is thinking. She said some players were not called up due to conditioning and she thought it's best for them to condition themselves in Japan towards the WWC - she didn't specify who these players were, but she was answering to the questions about Iwabuchi and Sakaguchi missing.

She says she wants to test some players but surely she's not thinking Ueki is a realistic option for the WWC however she does in these two matches.

Is it just me who think that she's worried that they get thrashed playing her best team before the WWC. It did occur to me during She Believes Cup and now even more so.

4. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Please remind me, what made Naomoto qualify for NT? I don’t recall anything that made her stand out. Besides her crying in earlier years.

About Sakaguchi the Elder: She, and Takakura, might have realized that her time is over. This latest injury set her back wuite a bit and it seemed she was not playing her best game anymore before, if memory serves right. Better bow out now than having a potentially bad WC.

5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    NIce one :laugh:

blissett repped this.
  6. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm completely with you there on Naomoto. She never had a great season in the Nadeshiko league in terms of her own performance. Technically Naomoto is ok, but her decision making had always been questionable and never seems to have improved. We can't talk about her potential anymore. She is a mediocre but I guess we are so weak in central midfield at the moment that she is still in the fringes.

Miura made more impact in the league and national team than Naomoto. Miura should be in WWC squad over Naomoto. I wanted to see Miura more in She Believes Cup. When she plays, the tempo that they play is much better as she plays mostly one or two touches. The only thing is that she doesn't seem to know what do to or lack quality in the final third. But I think it's better than Naomoto trying one of those long range shots every time she has the ball.

7. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Tomorrow's games:

Nadeshiko League
    Nojima vs Mynavi 13:00
    Albi vs Iga 13:00
    Inac vs Nittaidai 13:00
    Urawa vs Nagano 14:00
    Beleza vs Jef 14:00

Nadeshiko League 2
    Orca vs Shizuoka 12:00
    Nippatsu vs Bunnys 13:00
    Cerezo vs Ehime 13:00
    Harima vs Yamato 13:00
    Chifure vs Setagaya 14:00

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  8. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Personally, I want Kobayashi remain in the team.
    Her football sense is superb.

9. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yes, she was very good in the She Believes Cup. I'd say she was our best striker in that tournament.

We've got four strikers (Iwabuchi, Tanaka, Sugasawa and Yokoyama). They all have their own strength. I'd say Kobayashi is all round striker and very clever as you say. She seems to be able to play with any other striker well.

I think it's still tough to break into those four. It'd be a quite brave decision for Takakura to drop one of them (even Sugasawa) for Kobayashi. If Takakura decides to take 5 strikers, probably that could be her.

Not sure she would take five strikers though. Takakura started with two strikers but often adopted Hasegawa as the second striker as the games went on, which worked quite well. Momiki can play the second striker as well. So taking five strikers may be too many...

If she can play in this tour as well as she did in the last tournament, Takakura may have to make a room for her though.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting (?) tidbit: this same game happened exactly one year ago, at the first match-day of 2018 season, on 21th of March 2018.

Back then, it ended 2-0, with goals from Nakajima and Takase (by the way, I wonder if Takase could be considered for NT as a back-up Right-Back option... :coffee:).

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

12. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Today's result:

Nadeshiko League
    Nojima (Nakano) 1-0 Mynavi
    Albi (Sonoda) 1-0 Iga
    Inac (Sugita, Yasaka) 2-1 Nittaidai (Kono)
    Urawa (Sugasawa, Mizutani) 2-1 Nagano (Hazuki)
    Beleza (Tanaka, Kobayashi, Endo) 3-1 Jef (Nishikawa)

Nadeshiko League 2
    Orca (Tsurumi, Muraoka ) 2-0 Shizuoka
    Nippatsu (Takahashi) 1-0 Bunnys
    Cerezo (Yakata) 1-2 Ehime (Ueno, Yokoyama)
    Harima (Honda) 1-3 Yamato (Ohya, Suga, Matsuura)
    Chifure 0-0 Setagaya

13. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Correction:
    Nishikawa - OG

blissett repped this.
  14. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    TAKAKURA Asako, Coach of Nadeshiko Japan
    Following our tour to the USA, we are in our final phase to solidify our roster for the FIFA Women's World Cup France. I have selected players who are capable of playing at the world stage at the individual level, while consisting the ability to play as a team. I have also mentioned to the players that weren’t selected to this tour, to maintain their conditions at a high level and prepare to play in the tournament. By facing teams that are ranked second and third in the world, it gives us the opportunity to see how Japan can compete against the world. We hope to make this a successful tour. The younger players have exceeded my expectations and proved that they can put up a fight against the world. I have high hopes for their potential, and after observing the next two matches, I will be making my final decision to select my squad for the World Cup.
    (full article)

16. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    #616 unepommekun, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Some notes about yesterday's games:

Mizutani's goal was brilliant. It reminded me of her goal vs US in a U19 NT friendly game a few years ago.
    Yasaka's goal was also great. I little bit regret her leave from Albi, but be happy about her getting playing time in Inac.
    In Urawa, Seike played as a right FB; this is kind of the same as Takase's case.

Yamashita' blunder at Jef's goal was incredible. I'm a little bit worried about her performance.

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  17. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Inside Beleza vs Jef:

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Division 1 results were all more or less expected (still have to rewtach goals/highlights when available: what unepomme said about Yamashita's blunder worries me too, although I didn't see it yet; we already knew Yamashita is error-prone, but it's not good to see her doing these kind of things again in a World Cup year).

Division 2 has some sursprising results instead: I was expecting Cerezo and Saitama to be the more qualified candidates for promotion, but they didn't start very well: an home scoreless draw for Chifure and even an home loss for Cerezo Ladies! :eek:

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Watched highlights now. Yamashita's blunder is in fact embarassing! :x3:

Who was the player who hit the ball with a header for an own-goal, in your opinion?

Very happy for Endo's goal. :) For sure it's not a case the the green juggernaut wanted to sign her: she's one of the more promising players of her generation.

unepommekun repped this.
  20. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I know it's not a popular choice, but if I had to pick a GK, that would be Yamane. But I'm not sure if she's is even considered to be part of the squad for WWC. Maybe she was not selected because she played all three games in the She Believes Cup and Takakura wants to see other GKs. Who knows...

It does look like Takakura's first choice is Yamashita. She really doesn't give me the confidence. Especially when it comes to dealing with the crosses. It's nothing to do with her height - she just can't read the trajectory of the ball. She's not very calm when she plays either. I feel like it's always one play away from a blunder when she plays.

And Ikeda, it's just my opinion, but she shouldn't even considered as a national team GK. I never understand why she gets called up. She is very good with her feet though - I must admit. However as a GK, she's not athletic (she seems very slow and doesn't seem to be able to dive/jump well either), but the worst thing is her handling of the ball. She hardly ever catches the ball - most of the time the ball just bounces off her or spills out of her hands when she tries to catch it.

Yes, Yamane makes mistakes as well, but I think she's been improving and I feel much easier when she's in the goal compared to others. In the She Believes Cup, I thought she was ok. Maybe one or two mistakes and another a couple of times she may feel she could have done better. But I wouldn't call them blunders - probably once when she came out and no where near the ball - I think Sugita cleared on the line.

Not great choices to pick from but I hope Takakura chooses Yamane... Guys, who's your favourite?

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, that one was the most glaring mistake Erina made at SheBelieves Cup, and it was indeed Sugita who saved with an header (another sign, by the way, that Hina uses to be as sharp in defense as she is in offense).
    Other than that, she had from time to time the same tendency to spill easy balls that Ikeda shows, but, alas, we actually have no GK in our pool who doesn't do that (apart from maybe Stambaugh? Or maybe our U-17 GK from 3 years ago, Momoko Tanaka? Where did she ended?)

Not a particular fan of any of our current GKs, but my first choice should be Yamashita, for no reason in particular but the fact that it seems to me that she's the one who can actually make some "great saves" from time to time (i.e. those out-of-the-ordinary saves that can change the course of a game), while I don't see the others, including Yamane, making often enough those kind of not-routinary saves.
    Of course, the problem with Yamashita is that, with the saves, you get the almost obligatory blunder-per-game. I see her as our miniatur-version of Sarah Bouhaddi: she can save the day or ruin a match (often she tries doing both in the same game: remember when she was responsible for the PK in the Asian Games' final and then she went on to save it?).

I must admit, though, that, after SheBelieves Cup, Yamashita margin over Yamane doesn't seem very large.

I'll concede that I could never see anything special about Ikeda or Hirao, so it's quite worrying to me that they're battling for the third GK spot (or even for the second GK spot). Don't get me wrong, they're decent GKs in my eyes, but a top NT needs something more than just "decent" (can it be somehow reassuring that USWNT has similar problems with Naher, Franch and Harris? No, it can't, but I thought it was worth mentioning it anyway. Some months ago, I had opened a thread about international GKs, where I was complaining about the declining level of goalkeeping in women's football in general, and I don't feel any different at the moment, at mere months from the WWC).

If it was me, I guess I'd bring Stambaugh to France as third GK: young, unexperienced, still a little rough at the edges as much as you want, but I was feeling quite re-assured when she was in goal at U-20 WWC last summer and that's not something you say very often about a Nadeshiko Japan GK. Of course, it's just a dream, since Takakura never called Hannah for these last matches (by the way: have we any other friendly matches scheduled, after the ones vs France and Germany?).

22. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Stambaugh is still Takenaka's sub in Inac.
    Tanaka Momoko is now in Yamato (temporary move from Beleza), and the main GK for the next Young Nadeshiko.
    Matsumoto Mamiko started for Urawa's first game over Ikeda.

blissett and KAPIJXM repped this.
  23. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    Tomorrow's games:

Nadeshiko League
    Jef vs Nojima 12:00
    Mynavi vs Inac 13:00
    Nittaidai vs Urawa 13:00
    Nagano vs Albi 13:00