Official 2019 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Sameshima in her interview said they need to build up better communication because there are various players. Defence also needs to improve.

Takakura was more circumspect and said that it was lapses in concentration that need to be addressed. I think she has a point here. The goal from the throw-in was a very good example of that.

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  2. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Kakeru.....USA are not going to win the She Believes Cup.....

3. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Deserved victory for England, apart from ~10 minutes in the second half they've controlled the match.
    Japan had so many weaknesses, I don't know where to start. Well, maybe raising initial aggression level right before the match would be my first advice.

I wonder if it's compliant with Japanese culture to tell players to intentionally faul in the beginning of the match to get into rhythm?
    You know, nothing drastic, just like in men's game - two teams not yet in the game rhythm are checking themselves, frightened to make a mistake players prefer to push opponent off their feet rather than let them pass through, initial nervousness causes more physical plays rather than showcasing full technical arsenal. Not quite a fairplay, but definitely common stuff.

Kakeru repped this.
  4. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #554 #5nadeshikofan, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Not a bad tournament, all things considered.
    Lessons learned:
    • Defense issues not resolved. Sameshima, Kumagai, Kinga, and Iwashimizu have still no replacements.
    • Finish: Ongoing for some years, a challenge not yet tackled. Sawa was a player with insticts, always where she needed to be. Unlikely that we will find another like her. Therefore: Keep working on overcoming that challenge.
    • Passing. I have a feeling it got worse. We seem to loose a lot of balls.
    Highlights: Hasegawa, Sugita - Great finds. Sameshima in very good form.

5. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, but we also wasted a big opportunity of making a genuine statement of intent. Instead, England will definitely use that as a springboard for the World Cup. At least, you can see the Lionesses making huge strides in the last 4 years.

I couldn't care less about USA.

Manchester Nadeshiko repped this.
  6. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    To be honest, I think that's as good as her fitness can be. I thought overall she did better than usual. She usually doesn't contribute much apart from scoring. That's why, I think, Takakura doesn't start her in the big games. In this tournament, I thought she improved that part of her game. She dropped and linked well.

But she's there to score goals. That's her strength. When she doesn't score, it's really tough for the team as she usually doesn't get involved much.

I still think she is the impact player whom Takakura can bring in towards the end of games when the opponents are a bit tired and there is space. Iwabuchi and Tanaka are the starters and that's why I think Takakura left them in Japan.

7. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, in the past it took Japan about 25 minutes to get into the game - with an experienced squad. Today was - different. Key players missing, Sameshma the only veteran to calm down the kids... Not easy. But definetly the wrong 11 at the beginning.

8. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I am starting to think that Takakura plays many different players so they can get a glimpse of what it is like to play against physically bigger players. I think we underestimate how important that experience is, especially for the defenders.

9. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #559 #5nadeshikofan, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    You might be correct here...
    Which might also be a reason why we don’t see some players anymore after a few NT games: Too much stress. And don‘t even start with that nonsens about the honor to be selected for NT. If you can’t take it, its not for you, no matter your talent.

Kakeru and lukephan repped this.
  10. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, but I don't think it's for this year's WWC.

Kakeru repped this.
  11. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I do not think it is a test...okay it is a little. But it is more to show them what they need to do against bigger opponents (I really sound Japanese here, I have been in Japan too long!)

The Nadeshiko League has mostly Japanese players who are physically very similar and play a similar way, so they do not experience taller players with longer legs very often. It is not an excuse, but an understanding of the Nadeshiko League's limitations. Therefore Takakura plays a lot of different players, particularly younger ones.

Again this is just a theory.

blissett and #5nadeshikofan repped this.
  12. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I understand your point.

I also wish I could say the same about my living arrangements. I need to figure out how to get to Japan for longer...

13. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I do not think you should worry too much about this result. Do not get me wrong, Nadeshiko has a lot of problems, but I think they will acquit themselves quite well come the world cup. They should be aiming for the quarter-finals and anything after that is a bonus.

Try to think of it this way. What did England learn about Nadeshiko today that they did not know? Nothing right?

They scored some very nice goals against a defence at times that was poor and inexperienced. This is England at their best. They probably will not improve a whole lot between now and the world cup. If anything they might get worse.

What has Japan learned about England? Quick transitions of play. Really spread out top three. Maybe do not play such a high line against England, though they keep on doing it regardless of the opposition and the speed they have.

Confidence is a wonderful thing and England's must be sky-high right now, but there is still a hundred days to go until the world cup.

14. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I agree that England didn't learn much about Japan but it goes the same for Japan learning England.

Apart from a couple or few, this England squad is probably close to the one for WWC. But starting 11 in today's match were not their best players apart from a few. Probably they had more usual starters than Japan had - for us maybe Hasegawa, Sameshima and Shimizu?

It looks like the both teams didn't want to show much. After all, they meet in the group stage.

15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Let's start the lottery.

My pics on WWC roster 3 months before WWC

GK Yamashita*
    GK Ikeda
    GK Yamane

DF Sameshima*
    DF Ichise*
    DF Kumagai*
    DF Shimizu*
    DF Ariyoshi*
    DF Miyake
    DF Miyagawa

DF or MF Oga/Minami/Miura

MF Hasegawa*
    MF Utsugi*
    MF Sakaguchi Mizuho
    MF Nakajima*
    MF Sakaguchi Moeno
    MF Sugita

FW Iwabuchi*
    FW Tanaka*
    FW Yokoyama*
    FW Sugasawa*
    FW Momiki
    FW Kawasumi

* lock in

#5nadeshikofan, Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  16. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    The Nadeshiko rollercoaster.....
    Sometimes you're throwing your arms in the air in pure joy.
    Sometimes it's like banging your head against a brick wall....it's great when it stops.
    One thing I'm sure of......It's never boring.
    Nadeshiko forever!

#5nadeshikofan, dakota701 and blissett repped this.
  17. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    I know it may appear that I am suffering from Sugita-mania but I would be very disappointed if Takakura does not play her in the two upcoming friendlies in Europe.For me she has been one of the highlights of this tournament.
    (Can anyone remember what match it was from last season when she was like a young woman possesed when she virtually ran the game.)

Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  18. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    A few more thoughts on today's game and the tournament. I know I write too much, but I am not so busy at work lately.

It was great to see some of the younger players get a call up. We get a much better idea of how good some of them are. I am not sure when we will see some of them again.

Sugita played well and looks like she will be in the squad for the world cup. Momiki looked dangerous and created opportunities. I imagine she has done enough to warrant a world cup position. She is also quite a versatile player.

Kobayashi also looked good in patches. Probably will not make it, but going forward she has potential.

Oga and Matsubara still have a lot to learn. Oga looks interesting, but she will need more time. I am not so sure about Matsubara in midfield, though she looked alright in central defence. I think Matsubara is a bit too slow. She is at a disadvantage because she does not play with any other players from Nojima

Minami looks like she will become a good player. She seems to read the game quite well and played much better in the second half. Made some poor passes, but she is playing with a lot of new players.

I think in the next two friendlies we will see Takakura's Nadeshiko at long last. I have no idea who she will choose! :laugh:

England looked good today and they did make some changes, so it was not technically their best team. They looked well organised and have some fast and strong players with some good skills. Although their defence was good it was not impenetrable. The Momiki chance came from a defensive line mistake.

I think this year's world cup winner is going to come from Europe.

As for Nadeshiko's finishing. Against a well-organised defence finishing is much more difficult. The English got bodies behind the ball and made it hard for Nadeshiko to create any really good chances.

But defence is where Nadeshiko need to tighten up, particularly at left back. I think most of the good goal scoring opportunities came from the opponent's right side. I do not know how they can fix it.

19. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    I thought one thing about it. Yamane was too slow to cover the space; in that sense I prefer Yamashita.

frideswide and blissett repped this.
  20. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yamashita will get the nod. However, I think that the JFA needs to keep tabs on Hannah Stambaugh.

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  21. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Definitely! Or really she should have the confidence to come out more. She came out once and did well.

22. HS10Legend

HS10Legend Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Germany
    Club:
    NTV Beleza
    This game has revealed a few things very well.

(1) We need more individual quality against top opponents
    (2) We need faster players on the outside positions
    (3) We need players who can possess the ball on a high level

to (1):
    Only 3 starters have played yesterday: Sameshima, Shimizu and Hasegawa.
    This team has not had any cohesion + for some, the quality is not enough for this level at the moment. I think Sugita and Kobayashi made the best impression of all the new players. They might have a chance to attend the World Cup.

to (2):
    Sakaguchi Moeno on the outside position did not work and was a weakening factor for the entire team, because she does not have the physical strength and speed to cover lot of spaces on the sidelines. The same problem we had seen earlier in this era with Yu Nakasato. We need fast players on the full-back and
    wing positions, because these players have a lot of room to cover and are very important for the defending and attacking quality of one team.

to (3):
    I think the outside players need to be very fast, however the central players need something different. What they need is the special ability to read and control the game better than the opponents, thus a very high football IQ is required.
    In central midfield, I believe we have 4 or 5 players who are offering that,
    but only one was attending this tournament (Miura). In other words, we need
    2 world-class central defenders and 2 world-class central midfielders to be the dominant side in a game. That was not the case yesterday.

Opinion about general performance:
    I think we did not play well the entire tournament. One should not focus only on results, but on the overall quality of this team and whether we could play how we wanted to, and achieve our goals: namely to control the game. Despite the results, the opponents were dominating all three games, so it was not a good tournament in my opinion. Six months ago, we were much stronger than that and for the most part of the games, were playing better than the opponents, even though we did not get the results we wanted to.

What I expect now:
    Against France and Germany we will play again with a young team,
    this time probably with a different one (maybe Ueki and Takarada?).
    I think the purpose is not only to give young players playing time,
    but also to hide her cards against those opponents.
    Whether it is the right thing or not, we will see.
    Then Takakura will call a big roster for a long training camp and there she will reveal those players, who are going to attend the World Cup.

My opinion about what we need to be successful.

(a) Overall, we need 11 very strong players in the starting line-up.
    We really can not affor to have even one weak player there, because we have a huge physical disadvantage and have to make up for it with the help of each player on the pitch.

(b) Our wing players (fullbacks included) need to be quick and fast,
    for our team to defend and attack well, while our central midfielders and central defenders need high intelligence to read and control the game.

Finally, this is how my starting line-up would look like (for the World Cup):

Yamashita - Shimizu, Kumagai, Ichise, Sameshima -
    Miyazawa, Fukuta, Sakaguchi, Hasegawa - Iwabuchi, Yokoyama

I think this team is very realistic except for Fukuta and Miyazawa but
    I think these two players are the best in their respective positions.
    So they would be in my team.

23. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Maybe Takakura is a genius, but I cannot figure out what she is thinking. People conjecture the JFA really has its eye on the 2020 Olympics, not the WWC, but even this is only 16 months away -- not enough time to develop the next generation of players.

The exception might be in the position of keeper — I don’t think any of the current ones are top level. Ironically, though, this is the position she seems *not* to be experimenting with. o_O

Kakeru and Manchester Nadeshiko repped this.
  24. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    The defence left her pretty exposed (particularly on the second, headed goal -- she had no chance on that), but I agree a quicker keeper might have saved the other two - especially the last one at her near post.