Official: 2019 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Jan 5, 2019.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I am hoping DTK can make a better argument to stay after the play Araujo (more so than Traore) has gotten and a better offer financially than what Gary produced previously.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Weak sarcasm joke on my part. Point being everyone crosses better than Ema.

3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Of course, they should still try and make sure they communicate directly to the parents and the player (which they can do since he's in their Academy). If they sign Kobi, expect to learn that he has changed agents or acted without one. Unless DtK gets the player to drop Kleiban as his agent, no amount of persuasion or money (within the normal bounds of reason) is likely to help. My understanding is that Kleiban was furious that Araujo signed with the Galaxy and wanted nothing to do with him thereafter.

4. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We’re in a much better position to sign academy players now than we were last summer. I trust DTK to get it done.

It shouldn’t be too hard of a pitch to convince Kobe that he can get first team minutes. “See that Jorgen guy? He’s who you gotta beat out for minutes.”

I hope the next G2 signing in addition to Kobe is Cameron Dunbar. He’s a winger with top end speed who can combine and pass well. We’re currently light on winger depth in the first team. Giving him minutes for G2 this year could result in a first team contract in the off season.

5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    If this is true, it really makes me believe that Gary Kleiban was getting more than a minimal finder's fee for steering his players to European clubs for minimal salaries/stipends.

WarGalaxy and skydog repped this.
  6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also makes sense why DTK signed him prior to being HG eligible, with the sharks circling.

There was an American who just bought a Danish club with the business model of poaching MLS academy players and signing them to his club, with the pitch that “you’re playing in Europe.”

It appears that MLS has closed this loophole and now finally forces outside MLS clubs to pay MLS clubs a development fee if they sign one of their academy kids.

7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While this is correct, it is being opposed by the players union. Apparently, the union feels this can restrict player movement and is an example of MLS signing on to those FIFA rules that benefit the owners and ignoring those that benefit players. Expect a law suit.

8. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't what MLS just signed onto the standard for other clubs outside of the US? All this would do is put our Academy prospects on the same playing field as most of the rest of the world. So in that sense it takes away an advantage that the academy players previously had and I can see why the players union would oppose it. But it certainly doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #84 73Bruin, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    No you have it all wrong. This increases the cost to foreign clubs wanting to sign not only current academy kids but past academy kids, and potentially all US players. The Union's position is that the league cherry-picks which FIFA rules it follows (always to its benefit). So the in this instance it refused to pay development/solidarity fees for years because the league was a net importer of players. Now that this is starting to change the league wants to follow the rules. However the league still refuses to follow FIFA rules on player contracts because that loosens the league's control over player movement.

10. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean past Academy kids? If they never signed a professional contract with their club, then yes, it would apply. But my understanding is that these development/solidarity fees are contingent upon the player turning down contract offers from their clubs and going eksewhere. Like in the example of Uly Llanez for us. Players that do sign, like say Ephrain Alvarez, wouldn't be subject and could leave on a free like anyone else when their contract expired if it came to that.

Now if the later part of that is where I'm confused and the Galaxy could potentially hold Alvarez hostage if the team he wanted to go to after his contract expires doesn't pay the fee, than I could see where this would get stickier.

11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think you're confusing transfer fees with training compensation and solidarity payments (and possibly with MLS rules on retention of contract rights). If Alvarez let his contract expire without signing a new one with LA, he could leave on a free transfer. LA also wouldn't be owed training compensation on the signing of Alvarez because he had already signed his first professional contract. However, because he is under 23, the Galaxy would still be entitled to training compensation on any future int'l transfer before age 23, which is a % of the transfer fee based on the years he was with LA and the category of the club, and solidarity payments on international transfers thereafter.

The only reason the Galaxy offering a deal and the player turning it down matters is for an internal MLS rule about whether LA retains his rights if he ever returns to MLS.

MPNumber9 and WarGalaxy repped this.
  12. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 23 year old age qualifier was what had me confused. Thank you for clarifying. I can see where the union would have issue with that.

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    My reading of the FIFA reg 20 matches yours for Alverez. However it also potentially it also applies to someone like:
    • Haji Wright who spurned the Galaxy, signed with the New York Cosmos of the then NASL and subsequently signed with Schalke 04
    • Any former academy player (e.g. Eric Lopez) who signed a GII contract but not a MLS contract and is under 23
    • Someone like Jack McBean had he signed with Coventry City in 2016 at age 22 when his loan ended
    • Any former academy player who attends a college and then subsequently signs a pro contract with another club.

14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Correct. It applies to any player who was in LA's academy or one of its pro teams (USL teams aren't precluded). Whether it's TC or SP depends upon age and what they're signing.

73Bruin repped this.
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1-0 win against Austin earlier on.

Zubak Lopez
    Koreniuk Vera Harvey Iloski
    Fiddes DePuy THA Shultz
    Vom Steeg
    Not an entertaining game, reminded me a few times from last year : a flat 4-4-2 where the two CMs are not good enough to create chances, so long balls after longs balls to running Zubak and Lopez. Too bad it put our most creative players (Iloski and Koreniuk) on the wings. Austin was terrible and didn't manage to create chances aside from a long range shot who hit the top of the crossbar in the first half.

Solid games from THA and DePuy. Credit to Shultz who has improved from last year and doesn't look like a liability anymore. On the other side Fiddes is meh, and will never handle the physicality of MLS IMO. When Kobe Hernandez-Foster comes back there's no excuse to not give him minutes because I don't see any future for the other G2 LB.

Credit to Lopez who put his head up a few times in the first half and had some nice passes before hurting himself. That said, I've seen enough of him to believe he has no chance with the first team. For the record I would like to try Koreniuk up top but we are thin on wingers. Zubak had a heck of a second half and made some nice plays, one of them lead to the Austin own goal.

Next game is at home, against Fresno on Sunday.

16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    3-0 home defeat last week against Fresno. Lethargic performance from G2. If this game showed anything, it's that despite both players not being elite, we are way better with our Panamanians Walker and Harvey, who have more impact than Vera (still a traffic cone in defense) and Jose Hernandez (his best spot still remains unknown). Not surprising but the next games will be very difficult without them. Maybe throw Saldana out there.

Koreniuk Zubak Tchilao
    Jose Hernandez Iloski
    Vera
    Requejo Gallagher THA Shultz
    Eric Lopez
    Terrible : Zubak, Tchilao, Koreniuk, Vera, Hernandez, Requejo, Shultz.

Iloski was inconsistent and had sometimes too many touches but he's the only player in this team capable of creating something.

THA was OK. Gallagher was our best player until an erratic pass lead to Fresno third goal.

It's a shame we have to suffer Tchilao every week and Jorge Hernandez can't get more than a ten minutes cameo.

Next game is tomorrow against Rio Grande Valley FC.

17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at Rio Grande Valley FC last night. After the disaster from last week, Munoz decided to switch to a 4-4-2 with Ontiveros, a defender, at DM, and Iloski on a wing. No surprise, a 4-4-2 with him not in the center of the field lead to a crappy first half with a lot of long balls to Zubak and Williams. G2 took the lead following a goal on a corner kick from Ontiveros (against his former team), and scored the equalizing goal in the dying seconds thanks to Zubak.

Zubak Williams
    Iloski Vera Ontiveros Tchilao
    Requejo DePuy THA Shultz
    Vom Steeg
    A few fine saves from Vom Steeg. I definitely saw improvements from him and for the first time since his arrival I feel he's really our best number 3 at GK. Keep going!

I know Requejo is coming back from injury but his last two performances have been terrible. On the first Rio Grande goal he totaly forgot the man behin him. As I said a few weeks ago Shultz has also improved but is still due for almost a mistake per game. That said, great play and solid cross in the equalizing goal.

At halftime Iloski was put back at CM. Yes, he cost us the second goal after losing the ball near to the goal, but man he's the only player in this team capable of creating some sparks and to have some creativity. His play is risky by nature, and his lack of physicality may be brakes for him, but I really want to see him closer to the opposite goal, in a 4-3-3 with the two Panamanians behind him for example.

Vera was almost everywhere during the second half, impressive from him. Tchilao is garbage, a turnover machine who's very easy to disposess with simple pressing. Nine games in and I haven't seen a good performance from him.

Zubak had up and down moments but was mostly invisible, but big credit to him for the goal in the last seconds, a real striker goal.

Next game on Saturday at home against Orange County SC.

18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at home against Orange County SC last weekend. Biggest story of the game? Two well known Brazilians started for both teams : Juninho and our former defender Leonardo, who's now with Orange County.

Williams
    Koreniuk Iloski Tchilao
    Vera Juninho
    Requejo Gallagher THA Shultz
    Vom Steeg
    Solid game from G2, who dominated the first period but conceded two goals a little bit against the run of play in the second half.

You're likely asking how was Juninho? Answer is simple : he was our best player. A ton of recoveries, the foundation of our building play and an assist on a corner kick in the last seconds of the game for the equalizing goal. MVP.

Iloski also had a great game with an early goal and a lot of solid passings. He should have two if Williams was not so selfish. This 8 position is his best, no question. Also a very solid game from THA, who was very dominant. If Steres and Romney gave us (at least) serviceable minutes, I think he can too.

Some great saves from Vom Steeg, who could have done better on the first goal but this type of free kick is very hard to defend. Gallagher was good but forgot his man on the second goal, not helped by Requejo.

As he did last week, great second half from Vera. Koreniuk is still a dangerous player in the final third but is sometimes trying to make too hard runs through the defense.

Williams is not just good enough. Not terrible, but not a good striker and was too selfish on two occasions. Frank Lopez scored his forst goal of the season in the last seconds on a corner kick, credit to him.

Next game tomorrow at home against last place Tacoma Defiance. Former Galaxy forward Justin Dhillon has scored three goals in his last three games I believe.

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LEM-LAG, I don't think we thank you enough for all of these recaps and links. Thank you for keeping all of us up-to-date on G2. It is very much appreciated.

21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen

TrickHog repped this.
  22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]

I hope it's not a 4-4-2 with some of our best players (Koreniuk and Iloski) played out of position just to play the mediocre Williams up top.

That said, Homegrown player Cuevas starting on the right is worth the look.

Good night folks!

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at home against last place Tacoma Defiance, which is a bad result. Los Dos hold the majority of the possession but failed to convert numerous chances, and for the third game in a row scored lates goals thanks to Frank Lopez (typical Lopez goal : run and exploit an opponent mistake) and Iloski (good shot after a good holdup job by Lopez).

Zubak Williams
    Koreniuk Vera Juninho Iloski
    Fiddes DePuy Gallagher Cuevas
    Romero​

Excellent game from Gallagher, who was Los Dos best player. Not the best from DePuy on the first goal, otherwise solid second half but still not good with his long passings. 16 years old Mauricio Cuevas starting his first USL game at RB was at fault on the first goal, and overall has to get used to the USL, but often looked comfortable with the ball, so positive performance.

Another good game from Juninho, wasted by a miss on a second half penalty kick. The PK was drawn by Iloski after a beautiful nutmeg. Otherwise Iloski had another good game overall, and scored the equalizing goal.

Not the best game from Koreniuk, who was very inconsistent. I don't like how he's playing sometimes like a "true" winger (like Boateng for example), I don't know if it's him or Munoz instructions, but he's better closer to the goal. Zubak and Williams were average.

Overall I said it before the game and I think I was right : I don't like this 4-4-2 because it put our best offensive player (Iloski) on a wing when he's better in the 8 position (is it really a hazard the two goals came after he was switched to the center?), and I don't think our strikers are good enough to be in MLS one day, so don't make the team worse just to put them in better conditions...

Next game on Saturday at Oklahoma City.

24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Another good news, Los Dos midfielder Ernesto Walker scored the lone Panama goal in the round of 16 at the U-20 World Cup. Panama was eliminated by Ukraine 4-1.

Here are the highlights, solid goal from Walker, you can see the physical presence he can add to your midfield :

Both Walker and Carlos Harvey played the full four games of the Panama team.

WarGalaxy and skydog repped this.