Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good comments. Lletget would benefit from some positional consistency in a well-defined system, like Zardes has at Crew. I don't want to lose him, tho.

2. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And we have a Front Office that is either incapable or unwilling to make the trades necessary to fix the issues. Frustrating.

3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    According to Doug McIntyre of Yahoo, Galaxy offered Geoff Cameron a 2 year $2 million deal but he turned it down

JPAR and Dr.Phil repped this.
  4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JPAR, hav77, Benny Dargle and 1 other person repped this.
  5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

3 Millions per year (almost twice what Alessandrini is making) for a 34 years old defender? I don't know what Cameron is thinking. Time to move on.

My only complain is that we'll likely won't use this top allocation spot : https://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

We could use Najar and Fabian Johnson, but I guess they'll ask for a too big salary too.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on those behind-the-scenes investigation articles about what went wrong with the USMNT, Cameron has a slightly elevated sense of self-worth....

73Bruin, FlapJack, luigi-55 and 7 others repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    He’s whatever the sports related analog to Dunning-Krueger is. All of Clint Dempsey’s arrogance with neither the talent or resume to back it up.

73Bruin repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Cameron currently makes 1.82 million pounds a year. It doesn't surprise me that he would turn down a contract that offers half that.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully trade it for a competent defender. Fabian Johnson would be a great option as well. Probably the best option if we're trying to play a 352.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2335 skydog, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Offering Cameron is more evidence of our lazy scouting efforts. LAG FO going after overpriced Euro league names you can read about in the papers.

Ok, I admit that good central defenders aren't easy to find. But with the amount of $ LAG is willing to (mis-)spend on the position I'm sure that in SA or Africa there are some promising young up and coming relatively unknowns that a) are cheaper, b) have a bigger upside and c) have a chance to play for us for many, many years.

I don't want us to overspend for another older stop-gap plug-in solution. We need to be building a team, not patching one.

Geneva, 73Bruin, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had no interest in Cameron after those USMNT reports either. Don't need more ego in the locker room. Can you imagine him and Zlatan?

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If crossed Zlatan might drop kick Cameron into the StubHub stands.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I wonder if we can entice DC United into trading us Birnbaum?

WarGalaxy repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Isn't Omar available at the end of this season and consequently available to sign now? If so I would love to see him replace Ciani.

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read that Omar signed a multi year contract with a different Mexican club.

Skevin repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar signed with Atlas.

Cameron's not a bad look. He wouldn't take up an international spot, he's a known quantity and he's got MLS experience. Only issue I see are the potential personality issues, but I think most of those are tied to the US situation; I've never heard of him being a problem for a club. Having said that, I wouldn't break my back to sign him.

17. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's clear we have to sign someone. I think we need an outside back as well, awful thin in that position and it affects the whole defence.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There are a lot of good options available for us that won't kill us cap wise like Cameron would. HUGE PROBLEM though is how we have handled our business over the last couple years.

To beat a dead horse, Ciani in no way shape or form deserved a contract last season. Sigi (if it ultimately was his decision) was dead wrong to bring this guy in especially at those wages. Ciani was training with us for a while, but once our season was officially dead and buried, we signed him?! WTF kind of management is that. I know we were short on defenders, but there was no reason to sign Ciani. We only had a couple months left in our miserable season, so we gave him a huge contract? Even if Ciani helped our back line, it would have done nothing to help our season.

Then we have guys like Pedro who is on big wages, and is seen as a 5th string CM. I'll give our FO a bit of a pass with Pedro though because he just didn't work out. We gambled on him as we did with a guy named Juninho years ago, and it didn't work out.

Skjelvik being the highest paid defender in the league is also a joke. I like Skjelvik. I think he works hard, and is being hampered by having Steres, Ciani, and Romney around him, but 1 million a year for an unknown Norwegian left back converted to centerback is a massive gamble which so far has failed as well.

These crappy signings are haunting us and stopping us from making quality purchases.

The Cadaver, 73Bruin, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  19. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it's a question of his age & injuries as much (or more) than his personality. He missed a lot of time in 2017 with injuries (knee, concussion). Maybe he's back to 100% but for the salary he's demanding I think it's too big a risk.

Lazy Assed Assassin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Omar is a legend, but he’s the past, not a long term solution.

I’m not sure I want any new signing this summer. If Sigi had final say on this season’s signings he got it very wrong. If he didn’t then the club didn’t learn from last season. In either case even with the relative calm of the offseason they didn’t do well. I have little faith a desperation signing in the summer will bring suddenly make them better decision makers.

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    What is so odd is that you figured with Sigi and Dom involved, we would stem the bleeding in the back with some tried and true retread MLS veteran defenders. Not sure that would be the answer either, but at least it would be understandable if they went with guys who they could trust and who knew their system.

If we were going to spend money on defense, then you figure we would have tapped into Kurt's supposed South American connections, possibly with a loan.

Instead, we signed three players who've played primarily in Europe (even though Rolf is originally from Venezuela). It feels like Kirovski was running the player personnel show

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good theory. You might be right.

Benny Dargle and TrickHog repped this.
  23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

This is excellent news. New England has a ton of money and is reportedly ready to make a couple of big signings. If they want Cameron, they have to give up something to us, though I'm not sure I want any of their defenders right now.

24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You may be right, but I don't know. I actually saw a site that said that he had been loaned to Atlas, from Pachuca, which is what I based my post on
    Since then I have looked again, but all I could find was that he was drafted in Liga Mx's end of year draft.
    . I really don't know anything about how Liga MX player arrangements work. I have no idea, if his being drafted means he signed a new contract, but I couldn't find any sites that said that he had signed with Atlas. FWIW, TransferMarkt does not show a new contract date for him nor is there anything on Wikipedia or on Omar's twitter page.

25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy