Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I was addressing who was the first most famous Mexican star. There is no doubt that Rafa was easily the most hated.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  2. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I misunderstood.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This should be the nail in the coffin. The rumor was Zlatan would come here on a non-DP deal just because he wanted to live in LA. So if Zlatan is angry about his massive pay being too small, no MLS club will ever be able to afford him.

He is making 14.4 million pounds in britain currently. That is nearly 20 million USD a season.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the negotiation going on right now is between Ibra and Man United to see what of the 300,000 pound per week contract they will continue to pay him after releasing him to sign with LA Galaxy.

Perhaps that is why he is willing to sign with the Galaxy this year for TAM money. Maybe his deal with us will be for this season only and he'll supplement his Galaxy income with continued payement from Man U through 6/30 or maybe a large severance.

I think there is room to negotiate. After all if he's on 300k pounds a week, that's another 6m pounds or more he will receive from Man U through 6/30/18. If you're Man U, and you have no use for him, wouldn't you release him and pay him 2-3 million pounds severance? Win win for everybody.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need our rules maven! @GalaxyKoa, if ManU were to pick up a part of Ibra's salary, doesn't that count against our cap as if we had paid him ourselves? I thought they established that to prevent teams like ManCity from paying part of the NYCFC salary and thereby making a mockery of the cap.

8. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Heard a rumor we were trying to get the rules changed so we can buy down Alessendrini. Currently you can buy a contract under $1.5 million, but if we got that cap moved to $2 million we could buy down Alessendrini's contract. I'm pretty sure that means we'd be using a huge chunk of our TAM and would have an impact on moves we would make in the next couple of years.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It seems like a bad idea for a number of reasons. I think the league is at the point where it shouldn't be changing the rules every time someone interesting comes along. Certainly not for Ibra. Maybe for Messi or Ronaldo, but I'd be against it even then.

From the Galaxy's standpoint, I'm disappointed. We finally had an off season where we trying to do everything right from a soccer standpoint and now we would blow a lot of money and tie our hands with an old, injured DP.

10. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm still not convinced this rumor isn't just Ibra's agent trying to get him a new contract. Man Utd's not a bad place to retire. They're the prime example of a club that takes care of their former players.

barroldinho repped this.
  11. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as MLS or the Galaxy isn't paying the salary, you're good.

Of course, teams that own multiple clubs can't do that (eg Man City couldn't sign Zlatan for however much and loan him to NYCFC at a fraction of the price). Similarly, I don't think we could have Hammarby sign a player and have him loaned to us at a discount price.

That being said, I have trouble seeing it.

12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Update from the Corner of the Galaxy podcast if we need to dump an international :

Remember we currently have eight international roster spots available, with nine players believed to count as international right now : Alessandrini, Ciani, Cole, Gio, Jona, Feltscher, Joao Pedro, Kamara, and Skjelvik. Gio and Ola were rumored to get their green cards soon so maybe one of of them (or both) recently got it.

73Bruin repped this.
  13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With what I saw last night, I'm further convinced that if we need to, Pedro will be the one cut. He's much cheaper this year apparently but, he's wasted space.

mbar and 73Bruin repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Your right that based upon salary alone at around 120k, he is not a big burden. However, I have heard 2 different explanations for how his transfer fee was handled. The first was that it all came out of TAM last year. FWIW, I didn't think the Galaxy had that much TAM or GAM. The other is that the TAM hit got prorated over the length of his contract. If this is true the Galaxy may get some TAM relief if they cut or trade him.

WarGalaxy and L.A. Native repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Latest seems to be Zlatan will stick around Old Trafford while they’re still in contention for the FA Cup and Champions League, but is alleged to be house hunting in LA

Ibrahimovic house hunting in LA - sources

hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Well that should do it! AEG will sign him even if he is a wheel chair regardless of what the Galaxy FO thinks.:)

The Cadaver repped this.
  19. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Zlatan’s form last year prior to the injury, I would think most any club outside the top 20-25 in the world needing a true CF would take a chance on him at nonDP level salary. We’re just lucky the missus wants LA.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Just got back from my bachelor party. Any news?

TrickHog repped this.
  21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Let’s be honest a not insignificant number of people here when they heard Donovan was coming out of retirement again wanted him to come back to LA, and Landon is only 6 months younger than Zlatan.

To be fair a lot of that desire was probably nostalgia rather than a belief he’d materially contribute to the team, but sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander.

phoenixhazard, hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're being honest, then also: were Donovan to come back to the Galaxy this summer, it would not be a big Mega-Unveiling only surpassed by Beckham and Henry. It would be similar to the last time he un-retired, except even less remarkable, pretty much a non-event. And he's 6 months younger than Zlatan.

73Bruin repped this.
  23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Never said he would, but the argument against Zlatan being a big deal as posed by you has always been linked to his age. Landon barely registered a blip outside of MLS when he signed for LA in 2005, of course it wouldn’t be a big deal this time around.

24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    However, despite his USMNT and MLS records, Landon was never close to the mega star that Zlatan is/was or had the success that he had even last year.

25. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hillard-Arce looks like he's certainly going to battle for a starting spot. Really rooting for him. Seems like he has a good attitude.