Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    69 looks like Miguel Aguilar, but that wasn't his number last year

2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    To complete GalaxyKoa list (based on this two videos : https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/...la-galaxy-training-session-2018?autoplay=true and
    ) :

Under Contract
    1 - Bingham
    3 - Cole
    4 - Romney
    5 - Steres
    6 - Baggio
    7 - Alessandrini
    8 - Jona
    10 - Gio
    11 - Kamara
    12 - Sylvestre
    14 - Carrasco
    15 - Lassiter
    16 - Skjelvik (yes it's him)
    17 - Lletget
    19 - Pontius
    20 - Hilliard-Arce (it's him indeed)
    21 - Arrellano
    22 - Klimenta (it's him)
    24 - Boateng
    25 - Feltscher
    26 - Efrain Alvarez
    (G2)
    28 - Ciani
    38 - BJIV
    29 - Payeras (G2)
    36 - I think I recognized him in a video, Adrian Vera (MVP from G2 last year, #49 last year)
    41 - Vom Steeg (G2)
    51 - Zubak (G2)
    57 - Dhillon (G2)
    69 - it's indeed Miguel Aguilar with a new beard (G2, #27 last year)
    88 - Pedro
    ?? - Kitchen

Others

31 - black guy, I don't recognize him from the first team, the second team or even the Academy. Trialist?
    47 - Sepulveda (Academy)
    55 - Ulysses Llanez (Academy)
    62 - Alex Mendez (Academy) (though it's possible I've switched him and Llanez)
    63 - Jake Arteaga (Academy)

A few more observations :
    - first team, G2 and a few Academy players training together.
    - a few players missing : like GalaxyKoa said, the two Draft picks. Feltscher is not suited for training too, maybe he's injured?
    - two G2 players have switched numbers to get ones "closer" to the first team : Adrian Vera (#36, but not 100% sure it's him) and Jefrey Payeras (#29). I don't know if it means anything right now.

3. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say- I'm so happy to see this. I know nothing has really happened yet, and no games have been played, so in a real way, we don't know what this team is going to look like. But it's been a looooong off season and I'm stoked at the prospect of seeing our Galaxy again.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s just nice to have some cautious optimism that this season won’t be a disaster and some thought and planning went into the construction of this roster.

Berks, WarGalaxy, The Cadaver and 8 others repped this.
  5. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feltscher was in photos taken in the locker room, but I didn't see him of in any of the pictures on the field. Maybe there still working on getting him a visa or other paperwork so he can't participate in training.

mbar repped this.
  6. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a video on the galaxy site called the boys are back! scenes from the first training session. i believe at :23 in the video, it's him sitting on the right side of the bench. he's dressed out and looks like he's been participating.
    maybe it's not him, but I think it is. anyone else confirm or deny?

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  7. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't watch that video, but he's in the video linked about about 1:25 in, sitting on a bench. Probably the same shot from the video you're referring too.

8. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will have more impact on our chances this season than any of the other new signings

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nice job Sigi!

Only thing that worries me is that we still have Ciani. I don't see how this can be a good thing. In practices I hope he doesn't interfere want our younger cb's getting used to playing with each other as soon as possible. In games he will either start (bad) or sit the bench (bad because he'll probably be unhappy and a waste of salary cap). I guess in theory there is a tiny, tiny possibility he's improved so much over the offseason that he will be a positive contributor as a starter but I have huge doubts about that. Certain aspects of a players game don't change overnight - things like foot speed (or lack of), like being slow to react when there are loose balls or other chaos in the box, poor judgement about when and when not to commit to tackles/headers, susceptibility to costly mental blunders, etc.

Worst case is he is the starter by default for say the first quarter of the season and then has to be replaced due to poor play. Then our new cb pairing will be behind and have to learn to play together on the fly during meaningful games.

Otherwise, I'm happy! Go Galaxy!

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am holding onto hope that Ciani last season is not the Ciani we could be getting this season. He did come into our team basically 3/4 of the way through the season, and he hadn't played a competitive match in months. He also was thrown into a terrible team. I am really hoping he can turn it around.

But then again, he did very little if anything last season to prove to me he can even be a half decent MLS defender. He was so incredibly slow, and his positional awareness was terrible.

73Bruin repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Ciani is not in our plans, at this stage you still bring him into camp and give him the chance to show what he can do.

That approach is true if we plan to play him, sell him or cut him before whatever the deadline is where we can do that to get out of his contract’s cap impact.

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t think the fact he’s out there leading the line in practice this early in preseason means much.

WarGalaxy, The Cadaver, LEM-LAG and 5 others repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I look forward to the Galaxy article on why that number is important to him.

ragbone, WarGalaxy, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call double BS!! Part of why Gio held onto the ball so much is that Gyasi rarely made the runs. Though that's only part of the reason. Gio also just holds onto the ball too much regardless, as you pointed out.

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple solution then. Cut Gio and bring in McCormack. We need a good striker more than we need a decent offensive midfielder, which is basically all Gio is.

16. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I don't know what games you were watching because I don't remember that at all. What I remember was Gyasi not getting the ball passed to him by his teammates who clearly lacked confidence in his shot no matter how many good runs he made. This kid made his young career off of being able to shine in the spaces that his teammates created for him to run into so he could work his magic. Gio is rarely the kinda of dude to make guys around him better by doing such things unfortunately. He has sadly done this his whole career. But he has ZERO excuses this year though as Sigi has created a squad that should be able to score tons of goals without him; (in the same manner that the Mexican National Team does without him.) If this team is playing well and if he isn't pushing close to 10 goals by July then it's time for him to give up that DP slot and for LA to end the Giovanni Dos Santos Experiment as far as I'm concerned.

WarGalaxy and 73Bruin repped this.
  17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The silver lining to a gut punch of a season is that just a couple nice roster moves the following offseason has you feeling so optimistic......

The Beautiful Gamer and Baysider repped this.
  18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure where to put this but Dos Santos brother are being called up to NT

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this "magic" you are referring to? Gyasi looked promising about 3 - 4 years ago, and popped in a bunch of goals one of those years off some good service, but that promise just turned into disappointment because he seemed to hit a plateau and never improved, and actually regressed. Never developed the promise into any attacking vision or sense. He was more content to play more and more defensively. And nobody "clearly" avoided passing the ball to Gyasi because they lacked confidence in his shooting.

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok you guys agree to disagree.

Let’s look ahead.

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about oLA now...

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If Rubio is fine being a back up to Kamara, then I'd take him. He is american and we still don't have a good back up for Kamara. This is pretty much our whole team at the moment barring a couple of reserves. As you can see, only the back up striker spot is a bit iffy, but even without signing a backup, we have Lassiter and Jamieson that can fill in that spot.

[​IMG]

WarGalaxy, hav77, 73Bruin and 4 others repped this.
  24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Madness! Having two players for every position on the field. Where are the carefree days of letting everyone have a go at playing right back or letting the back 5 draw names out of a hat to see who plays where.

Berks, FlapJack, napper and 2 others repped this.
  25. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think you tell Rubin that he's going to be a back up. You just tell him to come in and earn his spot. If Gio is hurt or ends up going to the World Cup, there's enough minutes for Rubin to get some serious playing time.