Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    It's not my article. Just the first one I found about a program I know they've been doing both before and after the CBA, which was signed in March 2015. Most of these guys are GII guys anyway who aren't subject to the CBA, but MLS allows educational payment (as its deal with SNHU demonstrates). None of these players play college. They're just getting salary + college while playing pro.

73Bruin repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I stand corrected about the policy. Thank you.

However, I didn't say the article was yours just that it was misleading in implying that scholarships were available when only a small number of soccer players are ever likely to get more than a half scholarship and many may not get that for all 4 years. As an add-on note if a player is injured and forced to "retire" from the sport, NCAA leave it up to the AD whether to give that player an academic scholarship.

I still like the idea of a guaranteed 4 year scholarship over an annual stipend. For example, in the case you sited about Ryo Fugii, if he returned to the states would the Galaxy still pay for his education? I know that in the past, MLB players wrote scholarship agreements into the contracts of the high school players they drafted. The current version is shown in the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/scholarship.jsp?content=guide_post_20170105

I think its interesting because the number of players that go through the minors in baseball has to be more than go through soccer academies. While its an apples to oranges comparison over 320 players were drafted in the 2018 MLB draft alone.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Since the Galaxy finished bottom of the combined table for the first time in club history last season I’d say ”job done”.

4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly, the way Jona has been playing in recent weeks, I'd be all for keeping him as long as he doesn't become disgruntled at his brother leaving.

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Imo Jona has been great and continues to improve. I think that is why WarGalaxy was saying he hoped the past pattern held - Gio leaves and a few years later Jona follows. Maybe 5 or 6 years later...

WarGalaxy, barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio made history all on his own as the worst DP signing in Galaxy history. So he can move on to his next club. Jona is welcome to stay a bit longer.

generaladmissision18, JPAR and Skevin repped this.
  7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In fairness to him, I'd say that Steven Gerrard and Juan Pablo Angel were worse.

kaburu and skydog repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerrard was highest suck x 1.4 seasons
    JPA was very high suck x .6 seasons
    Gio is high suck x 3 seasons (2016 he didn't suck)

So mathematically, Gio wins in pure volume of suckiness.

kaburu, mbar, skydog and 8 others repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dat. We made the playoffs twice with Gerrard.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    just adding some light for you guys about the Dos Antros bros, the current club America presidency is mad as hell with Jonathan, they already had a verbal agreement for him to join last year but he just used them to get more money out of the Galaxy and thus don't want to have anything to do with the bros right now,

That's why Jona is talking about the future, eventually America could change their stance if the correct people leave their staff.

generaladmissision18 and hav77 repped this.
  11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You make an interesting argument. I wonder how they measure up in terms of suckiness-per-90-mins.

FYP.

hav77, MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I am about to take down the Audi Player Index with the vastly superior Hog SP90 Index.

13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That should be a tag line when the movie comes out!

"From the man who taught us just how much Giovani Dos Santos sucks..."

Perhaps a documentary to follow up? Fahrenheit Klein-11.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Sorry guys, while Gio may have the highest SP90 ranking for DPs, he doesn't come close either to the all time Galaxy leaders: Carlos Cuddicino and Eduardo Dominguez.

I should note that Babayaro does not qualify as he didn't total more than 45 minutes in his career.

rokstedy, TrickHog, Skevin and 2 others repped this.
  15. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Was Cudicini a DP?

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were either of those players DPs?

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree that both of their SP90's are off the charts....

73Bruin repped this.
  18. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. However we might not get chance to see him play for the Galaxy for 5-6 years because his contract runs out at the end of '19 season. Despite what @Lukato says, Jona is on an inexpensive DP contract, so unless we're whiling to give him a bump in pay, I could see him following his brother to their next club.

But the Jona/Lletget pairing has been a revelation in the last few matches. I'd like to see that built upon next season, at the least.

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    No, neither were DPs. I didn't realize the SP90 only applied to DPs.

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I misread your post. You were talking all players. My bad.

And in regards to all players, I think Alvaro Pires might have the highest SP90 in league history. But we would have to crunch the numbers to see if he can pull off the win over Cudicini and Dominguez. Berks, we need you!

barroldinho repped this.
  21. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and he always did play like he gave damn. We sadly got him 2 years too late.

73Bruin, hav77, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is true but he was never going to leave Liverpool while he was having a significant impact.

I know we paid him a lot and I doubt his time here will truly effect his legacy but speaking as a fan of their rivals, it was a little sad to see his career end with such a whimper. As a Liverpool lifer, his career would have been virtually bulletproof... aside from the odd slip.

23. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hypothetically, if Gio was a max contract/low level TAM player, would you want to see him back next year?

The issue we
    I guess we don't remember Gerard the same way. He was a bigger waste of money than Gio. Signing Gerard is a big reason we're in the whole we are now.

The Gio signing failed, but I think it was a risk worth taking.

Signing Gerard wasnt ever going to pay off. I gave him the benefit of doubt when we signed him, but it panned out worse than I thought it would since we lost Omar, Sarvas, and Juninho in the process.

GalaxyKoa, L.A. Native, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with your general point but it reads like you don't think Gerrard gave a damn? I think he did. It's just that his characteristic "be everywhere, do everything" approach wasn't workable with his aging legs and perhaps the physically-taxing environment of MLS.

FTR, I'd been saying for about 15 years that Gerrard's free role and work-rate at Liverpool, both hid and mitigated (perhaps even contributed to) a lack of positional IQ. This is why IMO he and Lampard (who had a similar situation with Chelsea), could never properly gel for England.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing sums up Gerrard better, IMO, than the England USA match in SA 2010. Gerrard scores the opening goal, then gets turned by Clint Dempsey which leads to the tying US goal.

It's like how Michael Bradley is often involved in both the best and worst moments for the US team by sheer fact that he tries to be everywhere.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.